Where can we go??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
The point I was kind of making is that sub-ohm is necessary with nickel wire. I've never seen a 1+ ohm nickel build. I think the resistance per foot of nickel wire is like 8x less than regular Kanthal.

I know a few people who do 1.0+ ohm with nickel wire, just because the resistance may be less doesn't mean it can't be done

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I was thinking recently: why are batteries the norm anyway? Think about the possibilities with passthroughs. You could have vv/vw from a USB port in your home, office, or car. I'd like to see more exploration into this area.

I use 40 watt ac/dc adapters;
I got a choice of 6 voltages 1.5 volts apart:
3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12
Also discovered the my sigelei kick modules will accept the 7.5 volts so I can get regulated wattage too .

422836d1427514381-staring-them-waiting-img_20150327_234421.jpg

I see a 12 volts standard in the future.

Big wire builds are really the next step I think. Sub ohm is fine and all when you don't have a regulated device. But putting my 1.3 ohm 28g dual coil on my ipv3 is like heaven compared to the really hot vape that sub ohm gives you. I think we will see more and more interesting builds coming from people using regulated mods. And with this tempature mod craze that is starting up, who knows?

juggler86

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
I just use my .2 in my arctic and I have a .3 build in my freak show (leakshow)

your wicking is the problem not the freakshow. How you like those turbine coils, lol, what a scam piece of trash compared to other tanks. The arcTic is a prime example of exploiting the market to new vapors, cashing in on the super sub mystique.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
i think the temperature-control idea has a lot of potential, since apparently it's only when the temperatures are extremely high that we really have anything to worry about, as far as health risks. But it needs to be possible with something other than nickel; that stuff is highly allergenic to a LOT of people, and I've heard it can cause nausea -- which to me is a fate worse than death, so I'll pass on the nickel. :D I think we'll see more development and innovation with that idea.

Andria

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
Big wire builds are really the next step I think. Sub ohm is fine and all when you don't have a regulated device. But putting my 1.3 ohm 28g dual coil on my ipv3 is like heaven compared to the really hot vape that sub ohm gives you. I think we will see more and more interesting builds coming from people using regulated mods. And with this tempature mod craze that is starting up, who knows?

Here Here, regulated mods have opened new doors to builds..

Brettanomyces

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2014
Pacific Northwest
The simple reason that I cant/wont suggest the temp control devices with their .1 to .15 ohm coils is that there is probably only one vaper out of a million that owns an ohm meter that can accurately read a hundredth of an ohm. Very few people have $2,000 ohm meters laying around, and even fewer would buy one just to measure e-cig coils.

The DNA 40 chip is accurate down the hundredth and that's all that matters, if it wasn't tp mode wouldn't work. Since it's a regulated device with good power management it doesn't have the same safety issues with low resistance, it simply lowers the voltage to an appropriate amount. That said, I still build on my ohm meter for convenience and it's not as accurate but it is always off by the same amount so I can still tell what the resistance is.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If 0.2 ohm is the new norm, why in the hell am I vaping at 2.0 ohms?!?

Cause it's not (the new norm). 2 ohms or thereabouts is a standard for good vapor and decent battery life. The original intent for electronic cigarettes was to create a safer device that could reproduce the pleasure of smoking without the health hazards.

There's always a crowd that just has to see how fast it will go before it crashes out of control. I'm not saying that sub ohmers are that crowd, but they stand to be the ones who could cause vaping to be possibly outlawed.

Sub ohmers will say it's about the taste from high amps through a low resistance coil. It's really about the right heat and air ratio and a device that will feed juice at the proper rate to create pleasurable taste.

If it's 50 watts people want, that's available at 2 ohms, 10 volts, and 5A. An iStick 50W will do that. With a .5 ohm coil you'd need 5 volts and 10A. A .2 ohm coil needs 3V and 15A. With batteries of today, you are safer with the 2 ohm coil.

The big reason for sub ohm vaping is that mechanical mods can't go above battery voltage. So, they'd pick the .2 ohm coil at 3V and use a battery that can SAFELY vape at 15A or more. When their battery is fresh off the charger, they will be vaping for a short period at 4.2V and 21 amps, so they need a high constant current battery that can produce 30A or more to stay safe

We can do that safely with a good high watt variable mod and standard 2 ohm coils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread