Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Thing is the ego setup is far more popular then every other setup and most people are perfectly happy with that, it's simple, easy to maintain, requires little knowledge and is cheap we on here are the minority although a very vocal one we're not the average and I think many of us forget that sometimes.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
I'm just curious, as my vapor journey has been long and ever developing; where do people suggest beginners start?

I see so many sub-ohm tanks out there. It seems like everyone is using the Atlantis.

Are we really suggesting these to newcomers? The vape is great and consistent, but the whole sub-ohm thing. Is it a thing of the past?

Do we dare suggest TC? You have to learn a lot more, and it's not so easy unless you know what you're doing.

Here you go... I'm a newbie in your vape shop. What should I get?

When I go to B&M's locally Atlantis is king. Subtanks are pretty awesome too but not pushed local for whatever reason which makes coils hard to find. Atlantis coils are sold everywhere. Might even be in the produce isle of Wegmans for all I know.

I'm alittle jealous because like many I spent alot of money getting to where they are starting. For me, and everyone I know, little low watt tootle puffers don't work long term to stay off smokes. Heavy smokers want a short blast, nobody ever took a 10 second pull off a cigaette that I even saw. And full of flavor which is not to say its a good flavor. An Atlantis at 30w with some cowboy blend is prolly as close to a cigaette as possible but not for me.

footbag

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
NEPA
Great responses. Opinions seem to be a bit mixed which is probably why I couldn't even answer myself.

I know a lot of smokers choke on the Atlantis first try. Sometimes, that's their first and lasting experience. If it's bad, they may have missed their shot.

It does speak to the diversity of ecigs. And the stages you go through.

My brother won't take my advice on e-cigs. He wants to go to the shop and see what they suggest. I typically go to the shop knowing exactly what I want. I'm trying to anticipate what they'll sell him. Maybe Aspire battery and Atlantis. The new Evic. Or maybe that's too advanced. He never really liked my Egos.

I did give him a Cloupor mini and a good battery. Not sure if he'll use that, but it should run a lot of stuff.

xwarp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Tucson AZ
Just coming off smoking, using mouth to lung, and then going to a straight lung hit at 40 watts is a big change.

I started out with a Ego and Vivi Nova setup in an attempt to quite smoking as much. It did not last long. I tried again, but this time with an Aerotank and eVic. That seemed o.k., but I knew I needed something better. When the eVic started acting funny, I sucked it up and forked out the money for a Sigelei 100plus and a Subtank Mini.

I can only say that I regret not getting something similar when I bought the eVic and Aerotank. I LOVE THE HUGE LUNG HIT. It has made not smoking easier.

Subohming is great. Shorter drags, more vapor, more flavor, less air resistance. I would recommend a subtank mini or Arctic, or delta 2, to a beginner if they liked my setup. It's better to start with better gear, than to waste money on ego batteries that you outgrow.

Agree, except that with the Subtank, you still have the 1.2 ohm coil and for me, with 50/50 juice at 24 watts, I'm liking falvor and the clouds that I make.

Subtanks are plug coil in and go.

I started on ego kits myself and found them a waste of time, it's better off them saving money and starting with a newer generation device. The better our experience is, the better chance you have at quitting smoking and moving on to vaping.

You also have the fact that better equipment is cheaper and more advanced today than several years ago.

Just my two copper plated zinc thingies...

Reactions: Filfa

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
I usually recommend spinner 2 and kanger mow. Everyone is thrilled with that setup (for now), since it has a lot of options with very little hassle, plus i can rebuild those heads so they mostly vape for free.
Once they outgrow that i'd probably recommend getting into rebuilding and a 30w device, but nobody has asked me for something stronger yet.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Had to subscribe to this one.. Went to a show with a friend last night that smokes. Pulled out the Sig Mini and started vaping and she asked about it and said she wants to quit and asked for some suggestions. I started with an Evod but that didnt last me long, I think I had an MVP2 less than a month later and put the Evods away for good. She showed me her ego type battery and what looked like a Protank 2 or 3 on it but told me it just didnt cut it for her, and she was even vaping 36mg nic!! She smokes like a chimney too but Im game to help just looking for where to go with it. I kinda hesitant to have her jump right into rebuildables and something like a Sigelei Mini like I have but I ended up rebuilding with Kayfuns like 3 months in, and a 15-20w vaper just a couple months after that. Maybe thats what she needs to do and just go for it..

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I started out with a Ego and Vivi Nova setup in an attempt to quite smoking as much. It did not last long. I tried again, but this time with an Aerotank and eVic. That seemed o.k., but I knew I needed something better. When the eVic started acting funny, I sucked it up and forked out the money for a Sigelei 100plus and a Subtank Mini.

I can only say that I regret not getting something similar when I bought the eVic and Aerotank. I LOVE THE HUGE LUNG HIT. It has made not smoking easier.

Agree, except that with the Subtank, you still have the 1.2 ohm coil and for me, with 50/50 juice at 24 watts, I'm liking falvor and the clouds that I make.

You also have the fact that better equipment is cheaper and more advanced today than several years ago.

Just my two copper plated zinc thingies...
I feel like it's important to note that no one person needs the exact same setup to quit smoking. I just feel that the 30w istick and nautilus mini are a great starting point. If that doesn't work for them, or if they try my setup (derringer atm, sometimes subtanks) then I don't have any problem recommending something different.

Reactions: mare ze dotes

Rucerius

Verified Member
Dec 29, 2014
Jupiter, Fl
My local shop sells alot of eGo One setups and even give a $5 discount on them to new vapers. It has a lot of good qualities without being overly complicated. The new Subox kit is a really good idea for the newbie lung hitter but for smokers trying to quit, a Nautilus with an istick would easily do the job.
The holes on the SubTank Mini included with the SubBox kit are actually smaller giving a tighter draw than the current SubTank and are quite easy to MtL hit.

ronscave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Holden, ME, USA
I still start them off on an ego and clearo as they need to know vaping is something that can work for them before outlaying any real money on hardware plus they then progress at their own rate finding what suits them. Forums can be great places once your past the basics but sometimes they give horrendous advice to new vapers and get too caught up in what's currently popular rather then what's best to start on. Also a lot of scummy b&m's with no interest in anything but max profit from a sale that sell completely unsuitable and sometimes dangerous setups to new vapers don't help things. Personally I think anyone getting into vaping should start at the bottom so they build their knowledge as they progress with their hardware so it's a proper experience for them to tailor as they need too.

I got to go with this. Heck, I still like ego's and a Aspire BVC once in a while and they did fine getting me off 3 packs a day. Simple safe and nore like a cigarette IMHO.

Reactions: cags

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
To add, If I had to rebuild my own tank/coil heads I would never have quit smoking 2.5 yrs ago. Geez I don't even like to tie my own shoe laces, I buy slip ons. I am still vaping egos and small cleros and not all that unhappy with them. There are people like me out there.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I just set a smoker up with a istick 30 and a Nautilus mini. It's been a few weeks and she's yet to buy another pack of analogs. Just my opinion, but I don't think people should jump right into rebuilding, sub ohming, and mechs. There's so much they need to learn to go safely down that road. Let them start off with plug n plays, as they learn they can progress if they choose to. Worked for me.

Azarias

May 25, 2015
Illinois
I honestly couldn't tell what I'd recommend to a newbie today.
I started with a cigalike and the eGo-C got me off the nine inch nails.

The last time I recommended something was before I moved to the USA. I think at that time the Kanger EVOD was pretty much the best "starter kit" you can get.

But today? I didn't pay attention to what's going on on the vaping market for over a year. When I "came back" I see a s**tload of boxmods and subtanks. By what I've seen so far I'd probably recommend something like an eGo One kit, the iJust 2 or the like.
Meaning a set where you can just vape well without going into all the theory us hobbyists have in mind.
A battery, a topper, a charger... that's it.

cags

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
east TN
Thing is the ego setup is far more popular then every other setup and most people are perfectly happy with that, it's simple, easy to maintain, requires little knowledge and is cheap we on here are the minority although a very vocal one we're not the average and I think many of us forget that sometimes.

I was a heavy smoker. started with joye 510s and egos........they got me off cigs. and today, 4 years later, I'm still using joye 510s and egos.........I drip the ego and use an unpopular, can't find anymore clear cart thing on the joye 510s. :) I also have a reo, but I am ... frugal and want to use up the batteries I have...... everyone is different :)

puddinman

Jun 6, 2015
Being a relatively new vaper myself, I started with an Ego twist/GS-H2 setup. It was cheap and easy to use and it started teaching me a bit about how varying voltage affects the vape. From there, I bought an iStick 50w with a Nautilus Mini. I think starting simple is best because all the options and terminology is confusing.

My recommendation now would be to get something from the Ego One series. I have the Mega and I think it's near perfect for a beginner. It doesn't have much to fiddle with and introduces people to the concept of ohms, coils, etc. It works beautifully and is pretty satisfying. Once they've used that for awhile, they will be ready to explore the other realms of vaping.

If the newbie is more technically minded, I would recommend a 50watt mod and the Nautilus as the starter kit or maybe the subbox kit. I kind of wish I had started with that, as the ego twist gets hardly any use now.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
In most instances I'd suggest a kanger subox kit and direct them to a specific quality charger and batteries.

It's relatively inexpensive for what you get and it gives a chance to find out what they like while being protected by the regulator. Lower wattage and tighter draw or open it up and blow clouds. Plus the RBA is included when and if they want to try rebuilding.

Probably the best kit released yet imo that will let them experiment and find their own direction without being nickel and dimed along the way.

No, I would not recommend TC at this time. I love at and see how it could really contribute to a newbies success but at this stage I think it would just lead to frustration for a person who's never vaped. Maybe when it goes through several revisions I'll change my mind on that one.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
It depends on the person. Somebody tech savvy, preferably with electrical skills could totally grasp the concept of a mech mod and rda, but if they don't understand it, it can be dangerous. I recommend people get a tank like the subtank mini cause they can build or use pre-made coils. And a regulated battery.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is exactly it.
Depends on the person.
And the kangersubtanks represent the kind of versatility needed;
somebody could start out on a kangersubtank (I'm troubling myself to type kangersubtank because I see arcticsubtank elsewhere) then without making a second investment/gamble they could just seamlessly start using the rba coil on the same hardware.

Different people can use the same basic setup;
- some keep buying replaceable head;
- some rebuild the replaceable head;
- some rebuild the rba head
- some move between the replaceable head and the rba head;
- some get a bunch of rba heads

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

I actually typed "One of the first people"
Actually it was the first person I tried to help switch over to vape was smoking about half pack a day
Back then it would have been an ego sized setup for him; I don't know how things have turned out it that case but I'm hopefull.

I do think for half pack a day smoker's, it's an ego type setup. After that it's like they might go either way; they might vape regular and end up with better hardware, or it might turn out to be the gateway for them to get away from cigarettes and be done with it

Reactions: Grimwald
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread