The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Which mechanical mod has the best switch?

Discussion in 'Mech Mods' started by Tinkiegrrl, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Tinkiegrrl

Tinkiegrrl Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    I've discovered that I love a good switch on a mech mod. It's probably the most important feature to me on one. It needs to have a short throw, minimal misfires, and a locking mechanism that doesn't take 20 turns of a thin locking ring that likes to get stuck. It also needs to require the least amount of pressure. My pinky can only press so hard!

So far, I love my Lernaia Hydra's switch. Just the slightest bit of pressure to fire, never misfires, and makes a nice click noise to let me know I've locked it, or unlocked it. It's never fired when I didn't want it to, and takes a minimal amount of time to lock it. This is important when you've got a toddler who can scale up to the top of the fridge. When I need to put my mod down fast, I need to do it FAST.

Next, I find that I love the GP Paps switch. I only have the clone of this one, so I imagine the original is even better. The locking mechanism of it is great, and the only reason it's under the Hydra is because every once in a while, I wind up unscrewing the bottom cap along with the ring. I'm also loving the mod on a whole with the Heron clone in hybrid mode. My Heron clone's 510 base suddenly stopped letting current run through it, so being able to use it without the 510 base is great.

As a result of my findings, I'm looking to replace my Infinite Stingray clone and my husband's Hcigar Nemesis clone. I still want to try something different from what I have though, in case some other feature becomes one of my favorites. So, which has the best switch in your collection? What makes it the best? As for price, a clone would be preferable, but I'm not against getting an authentic mod if it's less then $200. I took a risk with the Hydra as I found it for half off.

2. jpcwon

jpcwon Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 14, 2014
    North Easton, MA
    I would recommend an authentic GP Paps V3. I've never used the clone, but the authentic V3's switch is one of the best switches in all of vaping (IMO of course... :) )...I might prefer the Paps X switch a tad more, but that is out of your price range.

The authentic V3 has a short, light throw, and you can get the SS version for well under $200......

3. WattWick

WattWick Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    Short throw switch with a locking mechanism that don't require 20 turns? Check out the Nanos. Not saying it's The One. Just saying it's worth looking into. I love mine. So much, in fact, that my Paps 2.5 has seen little use lately.

4. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    I was really thinking hard about the Nanos. Had one in my cart earlier this week, and then my husband called and told gave me a list of what my son wanted for his birthday. My god, kids are crazy these days! He's turning 9. His list included: Wii U, iPad Mini, Macbook, and an iPhone. He's only getting the Mini, but between that and bills my check was pretty much sucked up for this pay period and I bought myself the GP Paps clone as a conselation prize. Next pay period though, I'm likely going to get one. Wanted to learn about others though before I made a final decision. Also need a mod for Hubby, or he'll just take one of mine. The Nemesis is really starting to irritate him. As it is, I'm afraid for the Hydra.

5. VapingTurtle

VapingTurtle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Have you considered a side button? Roller/Dingo/Lab, Poldiac, 69, etc. Just something different.

6. alkaiser

alkaiser Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Your son is a lucky kid haha

my favorite switch to date is the MCR-101 switch. It isn't recessed, quick flick of a locking ring, and adjustable force for the button actuation (2 or 3 magnets/spring). Very short throw as well. It's a simple switch to take apart and clean as well.

Take in mind that I'm not a big fan of recessed/flush switches.

7. shivadelico

shivadelico Full Member

Sep 7, 2013
    España
    Without any doubt, the best switch I have ever push it's from a Optimus V2 by Persis
    It's really awesome!

8. Portertown

Portertown Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2013
    Greenville, NC, USA
    The Nanos from MMVapors gets my vote as having the best switch of any mod. I have a single tube polished brass Nanos that I use daily and will be getting another Nanos when MMV releases their new dripper in about a month.

9. JohnnyEars

JohnnyEars Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Paps X is my favourite switch with the Luxe mods coming a close second.

10. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    Hmm... Telescoping mods never really appealed to me, but that one doesn't look too bad.

11. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    The Sir Lancelot has an amazing switch and super low voltage drop. My favorite mech to date.

12. Rule62

Rule62 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    Another vote here for the MM Nanos. You do have to be sure to lock it, because it will fire if you set it down unlocked. But locking the switch is effortless. In fact, clicking the switch on and off is addicting in itself. You can lock and unlock it with your pinkie.

13. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    This mod can be a bit of a challenge for some with its restricted limits but the(mine anyway) 4Nine has a great switch.
    With the proper combination of Battery and Atomizer - knowing when to use a flat/button top - the 4Nine is a Very responsive mod.

In 18350 mode it is unreal tiny.:)

Flush Bottom switch = no lock needed

14. Grrrr

Grrrr Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'm going to go for the MCR, I have both the regular and flush buttons and both are superb, a short and silky smooth throw. My GUS Lord also has a great super smooth switch, possibly due to the ball bearings in the switch.

15. dmska

dmska Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 9, 2011
    I'd have to recommend an authentic paps v3. Should run ~$150, unless you want more tubes. The button is super smooth and locks with just a flick, only thing is the shop is closing up until September.

16. minimalsaint

minimalsaint Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Michigan
    I'll throw in a vote for atmizoo switches- second to none if you don't mind a side button.

17. nasca

nasca Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2014
    USA
    yes, atmizoo. particularly the Lab/Guppy updated button.

18. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    That's what I love about the Lernaia Hydra. The clicking. I find myself clicking it for no reason....

19. Tinkiegrrl

Nov 18, 2013
    New York, NY
    Yeah. I saw that. It's okay though. This purchase may not be until Sept. Both my kids have birthdays this month, plus my father and one of my sisters. It's already an expensive month!

20. suspectK

suspectK Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Alabummer
    Gus.

I love my 4nine..if you have a real adjustable 510 pin, it can be as short or as long as you want.. The downside to the switch is the same reason, your atomizer pin(and battery lenght) determines your throw. I've never had issues with it, except galvanic corrosion (from two different alloys used as an electrical contact), but that's fixed with a quick dunk and wipe of white vinegar. I'm weird though...someone asks for the best switch, and 4nine is included in my post should tell you how crazy I really am..;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.