Which mechanical mod has the best switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I've discovered that I love a good switch on a mech mod. It's probably the most important feature to me on one. It needs to have a short throw, minimal misfires, and a locking mechanism that doesn't take 20 turns of a thin locking ring that likes to get stuck. It also needs to require the least amount of pressure. My pinky can only press so hard!

So far, I love my Lernaia Hydra's switch. Just the slightest bit of pressure to fire, never misfires, and makes a nice click noise to let me know I've locked it, or unlocked it. It's never fired when I didn't want it to, and takes a minimal amount of time to lock it. This is important when you've got a toddler who can scale up to the top of the fridge. When I need to put my mod down fast, I need to do it FAST.

Next, I find that I love the GP Paps switch. I only have the clone of this one, so I imagine the original is even better. The locking mechanism of it is great, and the only reason it's under the Hydra is because every once in a while, I wind up unscrewing the bottom cap along with the ring. I'm also loving the mod on a whole with the Heron clone in hybrid mode. My Heron clone's 510 base suddenly stopped letting current run through it, so being able to use it without the 510 base is great.

As a result of my findings, I'm looking to replace my Infinite Stingray clone and my husband's hcigar Nemesis clone. I still want to try something different from what I have though, in case some other feature becomes one of my favorites. So, which has the best switch in your collection? What makes it the best? As for price, a clone would be preferable, but I'm not against getting an authentic mod if it's less then $200. I took a risk with the Hydra as I found it for half off.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
I would recommend an authentic GP Paps V3. I've never used the clone, but the authentic V3's switch is one of the best switches in all of vaping (IMO of course... :) )...I might prefer the Paps X switch a tad more, but that is out of your price range.

The authentic V3 has a short, light throw, and you can get the SS version for well under $200......

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Short throw switch with a locking mechanism that don't require 20 turns? Check out the Nanos. Not saying it's The One. Just saying it's worth looking into. I love mine. So much, in fact, that my Paps 2.5 has seen little use lately.

I was really thinking hard about the Nanos. Had one in my cart earlier this week, and then my husband called and told gave me a list of what my son wanted for his birthday. My god, kids are crazy these days! He's turning 9. His list included: Wii U, iPad Mini, Macbook, and an iPhone. He's only getting the Mini, but between that and bills my check was pretty much sucked up for this pay period and I bought myself the GP Paps clone as a conselation prize. Next pay period though, I'm likely going to get one. Wanted to learn about others though before I made a final decision. Also need a mod for Hubby, or he'll just take one of mine. The Nemesis is really starting to irritate him. As it is, I'm afraid for the Hydra.

alkaiser

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2013
Orange County, CA
www.sjchon.com
Your son is a lucky kid haha

my favorite switch to date is the MCR-101 switch. It isn't recessed, quick flick of a locking ring, and adjustable force for the button actuation (2 or 3 magnets/spring). Very short throw as well. It's a simple switch to take apart and clean as well.

Take in mind that I'm not a big fan of recessed/flush switches.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
This mod can be a bit of a challenge for some with its restricted limits but the(mine anyway) 4Nine has a great switch.
With the proper combination of Battery and Atomizer - knowing when to use a flat/button top - the 4Nine is a Very responsive mod.

In 18350 mode it is unreal tiny.:)

Flush Bottom switch = no lock needed

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Another vote here for the MM Nanos. You do have to be sure to lock it, because it will fire if you set it down unlocked. But locking the switch is effortless. In fact, clicking the switch on and off is addicting in itself. You can lock and unlock it with your pinkie.

That's what I love about the Lernaia Hydra. The clicking. I find myself clicking it for no reason....

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I'd have to recommend an authentic paps v3. Should run ~$150, unless you want more tubes. The button is super smooth and locks with just a flick, only thing is the shop is closing up until September.

Yeah. I saw that. It's okay though. This purchase may not be until Sept. Both my kids have birthdays this month, plus my father and one of my sisters. It's already an expensive month!

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Gus.

I love my 4nine..if you have a real adjustable 510 pin, it can be as short or as long as you want.. The downside to the switch is the same reason, your atomizer pin(and battery lenght) determines your throw. I've never had issues with it, except galvanic corrosion (from two different alloys used as an electrical contact), but that's fixed with a quick dunk and wipe of white vinegar. I'm weird though...someone asks for the best switch, and 4nine is included in my post should tell you how crazy I really am..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread