Which one Trident or Patriot RDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
Blasting away on my Igo-w, making good micro coils, rolled cotton ball wicks, it doesn't get much better...
Well, maybe it's time for a classier, maybe a better vaping rda, is this possible?
I leaning towards the two in the title and need opinions of users of those. "no clones"
What are pros and cons of each one..???
They will be on my 22mm. milled satin ss mech. and maybe a satin brass model as well
After this purchase comes an RDA, but that will be little later on. :confused:

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Blasting away on my Igo-w, making good micro coils, rolled cotton ball wicks, it doesn't get much better...
Well, maybe it's time for a classier, maybe a better vaping RDA, is this possible?
I leaning towards the two in the title and need opinions of users of those. "no clones"
What are pros and cons of each one..???
They will be on my 22mm. milled satin ss mech. and maybe a satin brass model as well
After this purchase comes an RDA, but that will be little later on. :confused:

My avatar is the Trident (clone) on a ProVari but you said no clones- If the real thing were available in this color I would've gotten it- that's how much I love this RBA.
I'm sure your thread will get many different suggestions but IMO, it's not about the RBA- it's the build that gives a "better vape".

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
The Trident hands down:vapor:
Everyone should have at least one top shelf RDA in there arsenal and the Trident is one of them.You can change the airflow to whatever you desire from tight,to a very open lung hit if you wish.
CON:Having to turn the top cap to adjust to which. airhole you desire,not too difficult,but can be a pain to do.This is the only con i can come up with for this one.You will be extremely pleased with this RDA

cobyatch

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bay Area, CA
I went from an Igo-W to a Patriot and it was a great step up. Building coils is exactly the same, but the Patriot gives you a lot more space. I had the Trident clone for a while and I didn't like building on it, the coils moved a lot before tightening down the nuts. The only reason I would pick the Trident is for the AFC, but seeing that you don't change your airholes I think the Patriot would be the better choice.

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
I don't have one but did look into the Trident. Have you seen Todd's Review of it?

Here's one on a 20 mm diameter Super-T Precise Simplicity (the mod I'd use it on).

Photo from RPad.TV
9525684211_1658d310ce_z.jpg

Hope this contributes something.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
Thanks for the replies:
It does seem that you really wouldn't need to adjust air hole size once you figure what you want. I drilled my igo-w to 1.5 mm. and I do like it there. I can use a slightly larger or smaller drip tip to adjust even further.

I think having room to build is important, but maybe more important having a small well and especially the way the coils attach to the posts, so when you place it in position, it stays there, and the screws tighten and stay tight, I know my W tends to loosen up once in a while and I lose some response, then I have to re-tighten.

Lastly---
Does shape of the cap play a significant role?
Does either have more durable posts and screws than the other?

I probably wouldn't ask these questions if I were buying a clone, but I like to buy genuine with confidence, and ask users since I'll probably never see these in person around my neck of the woods before I buy one.
Thanks______:2cool:

notawoman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Las Vegas
I only have the trident, I really like it but I had to chop off the air flow control. I run my dual coils at about .3 or .4 and I found some of my builds getting crushed and or potentially shorting out on the top cap.

Despite me having to do such a thing to such a nice mod I couldn't be happier with the results. It hits perfectly for me now and I really enjoy it.

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca
i'm going to throw in a curveball and suggest a vho helios. it's more expensive than either a trident or a patriot, but it has a couple features that i now can't live without...

first, the two positive wire holes. i love me some dual coils, and it's a lot easier building them if each coil has it's own center post.

second (and much more importantly), the afc ring. not the afc, mind you (i always vape full open), but the ring itself. if there's still a little juice left when you're done vaping, just turn the ring to close the holes and throw it in your pocket. if i try that with my nimbus (holes drilled to 3/16" i believe), i'd get juice all over my pants.

to answer the original question, i'd say go with the trident. although i like the extra positive hole on the helios, i'll admit the slotted posts on the trident are probably an even better system.

Last edited:

Alchemy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2013
SoCal
I don't have a Patriot yet I'm thinking about picking one up though. My experience with the Trident has been excellent so far I bought the fasttech clone and I liked it so much that I got a genuine 24k from OKC. The AFC really puts this one over the top IMHO it's going to be difficult to convince me there's a better RDA available.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I think I'm lost.
When you speak about room to work, how much room do you need to build coils in a Trident?
I keep looking inside mine trying to figure out what am I missing because (IMO) there's a lot of room.

The screw which holds the coil in place- I don't even take that all the way off.
Just raise it enough to slide the coli thru the slot and tighten it back down.

Just for the heck of it I slid another coil in.
I don't have a need for dual but wanted to see how difficult it'd be to do it the way I currently do singles.
Still without removing the screw cap I was able to slide another coil into the center post and tighten it down.

Aesthetically I LOVE the look of the Trident on my ProVari with the Atmistique Gemini DT.
I don't love it enough to spend $115 on it but did purchase more (3) of them from FT.
Should be here tomorrow.

20131011_230629_20131011_230827_zps0cbdb16a.jpg

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
question on the Helios, which is not really on my want list at this time..
those allen screws -- being so small I would think they tend to strip out easily, I work with tools that use them and don't like there durability, usually the allen wrench rounds out first, but I can imagine the screw itself stripping and I'll never get the screw out of the post if this were to happen.
What do you think?

Alchemy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2013
SoCal
I noticed on OKC that the gold trident was an newer improved version with a thinner cap...
There reg. Trident listing there does not say it is the revised model.
Is the newer version only available on the gold model?
Yep AFAIK the gold ones from OKC are the new revised model. As far as the regular SS version they're out of stock pretty much everywhere so...
Funny the limited editions are available and the regular versions are not :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread