Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
510 to ego?
upload_2019-6-7_7-34-20.jpg

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
Yup. Little adapter thingy. Not sure those K1s are even available anymore, but they fit the istick so I’m using em till I run out of coils.
my gotos for egos are the itaste svd yeah ego looks silly on a svd but its still a good house mod lol the black one is a even older smok vv

the smok is a really good stick ;)
WP_20190607_13_33_30_Pro (2).jpg

if your in the UK il have a look if i have any coils for you

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@bombastinator, that's what I was getting at. If it works, an Engineer made it. If it looks nice and doesn't necessarily work well, a Designer made it.

But it also depends upon the Designer.

And as for RiP Trippers, he's somewhat entertaining but not necessarily informative.
It’s sort of a synergy I think. There’s always the object, but objects have human interfaces. They need to actually be used by people. Engineering without design can be as bad as design without engineering. Old apple devices proved that in both directions. The apple ii proved the value of design and the apple iii proved the value of engineering and the limitations of design.

Vape Muppet

Apr 12, 2019
UK
While I certainly don't think all Smok products are dreadful they do have an appalling habit of cutting corners, ignoring safety and promoting recklessness.

One of the worst examples of a Smok device (so long ago I can't even remember the name) had a battery compartment you had to unscrew. What was worse is there was no divider between the main board and the battery. My friend had one and in my opinion it was dangerous so I told him to throw it away and I gave him one of my spare brand new IPV's to replace it.

Then there's the Smok Alien which could potentially vent close to your face due the location of the vents. In addition that device had peeling paint issues. Plus the early TFV tanks they released with quad coils that needed excessive amounts of Wattage, up to 150W which I saw many a vaping newcomer using. I think they were chiefly responsible for the whole high powered mod craze which started at the time.

Then there was that bloody awful mod for about £75 they released with the internal tank, that would frequently leak into the internals and render the device useless.

Quite simply I am not a fan of Smok and would rather buy from a company like Innokin that tries to be as safety conscious as possible.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
SMOK's shotgun marketing style is just a natural expression of our consumer culture. Why make something to last when the consumer will want something new and shiny long before then. Analogous to the mobile phone markets two year redundancy cycle, guaranteed by non-replaceable lithium batteries, thrown in the scrap along with it's quota of irreplaceable rare earth minerals.

cPJXQV2.jpg

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
SMOK's shotgun marketing style is just a natural expression of our consumer culture. Why make something to last when the consumer will want something new and shiny long before then. Analogous to the mobile phone markets two year redundancy cycle, guaranteed by non-replaceable lithium batteries, thrown in the scrap along with it's quota of irreplaceable rare earth minerals.

cPJXQV2.jpg

you know.. I've just had my 5 year vaperversary and I was thinking perhaps I should buy myself a nice mod..

you know, I won that Z-Biip, and liked it so much I bought a Gala, but thought that while I've won a few contests this year I've only purchased two mods and had been thinking the 5 year marker should be an excuse for something nice.

But now you've made me feel wrong and wasteful for the thought... haha

mean I tell you.. lol.

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why does Smok have such a bad rap?

I've been a Member here for a Long Time. Seen just about Every Possible Problem a person can have with about Every Mod out there. That Isn't all that Earth Shattering.

Because if you get Enough People together in One Place, you are going to find Someone who has had a Problem with just about Anything.

But there is One Brand that I have Seen Problems with Again and Again and Again (and Again). And that Brand is SMOK.

It's like they Don't Learn. Or they Don't Care. Or, IMO, Both.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
First, I am no expert. I do an annual exercise here on the ECF called "The Unofficial Equipment of the Year Poll" which gives ECF Members the opportunity to compare their favorite Equipment.
E-leaf World has produced some very popular vaping devices (Istick and Invoke, among others) that is inexpensive and of much better quality than Smoktech. Maybe you could look into Eleaf Products if you would like reliable and inexpensive equipment ....

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
First, I am no expert. I do an annual exercise here on the ECF called "The Unofficial Equipment of the Year Poll" which gives ECF Members the opportunity to compare their favorite Equipment.
E-leaf World has produced some very popular vaping devices (Istick and Invoke, among others) that is inexpensive and of much better quality than Smoktech. Maybe you could look into Eleaf Products if you would like reliable and inexpensive equipment ....
agree but the smok vv pen i posted and smoks mega x rda are examples of their good products
the mega pure x is 30mm atty as well the thing is amazing for mtl imho :eek:

• Optimistic

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
With these big successful companies you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. IMO they've made an informed business decision to seize the low end of the market by slashing costs and aggressively advertising, at the expense of everything else. They successfully bank on the fact that new vapers like OP will have no standards by which to criticise them. They are effectively setting the standard.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
With these big successful companies you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. IMO they've made an informed business decision to seize the low end of the market by slashing costs and aggressively advertising, at the expense of everything else. They successfully bank on the fact that new vapers like OP will have no standards by which to criticise them. They are effectively setting the standard.

Yeah... But there's a Problem with that type of Business Model. And that is you Don't Retain a very high Percentage of Repeat Buyers.

Take someone like e-Leaf...

They Hit the Scene as an OEM who made Low Cost Mods/Atomizers. Captured a Lot of the Market in a Short period of time. But they also experienced some runs of Poor Quality. And Questionable Design/QC.

Instead of just Cranking out more Stuff with the Same Problems, and Ruining their Name, they addressed the Issues and tightened up their QC.

It Didn't take Very Long for people to forget about any Past issues. And to regard e-Leaf as a Reliable Company putting out Reasonably Priced hardware.

SMOK (IMO) is the Direct Opposite. They just Don't Care about what they make. Because SMOK patrols the ECF closely. As do all the Major OEM's. And knows that SMOK has got a Piss Poor name when it comes to Quality and Performance.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
my gotos for egos are the itaste svd yeah ego looks silly on a svd but its still a good house mod lol the black one is a even older smok vv

the smok is a really good stick ;) View attachment 819853

if your in the UK il have a look if i have any coils for you

States, but thank you. I think they still have em on fasttech but I probably won’t restock once these are gone. I’ll have my pods or AIOs lined up by then.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've been a Member here for a Long Time. Seen just about Every Possible Problem a person can have with about Every Mod out there. That Isn't all that Earth Shattering.

Because if you get Enough People together in One Place, you are going to find Someone who has had a Problem with just about Anything.

But there is One Brand that I have Seen Problems with Again and Again and Again (and Again). And that Brand is SMOK.

I was in the “don’t learn” camp until I read a claim here that making poor quality stuff is actually part of a company motto of theirs. They seem to apparently actually do it on purpose.

The class action lawsuit system is designed to destroy companies that do this kind of thing. Apparently the problem is they’ve managed to hide behind international boundary issues and avoid prosecution...so far.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The class action lawsuit system is designed to destroy companies that do this kind of thing. Apparently the problem is they’ve managed to hide behind international boundary issues and avoid prosecution...so far.

I believe more in a Laissez Faire / Caveat Emptor approach when it comes to things Non-Safety related. Verses helping a Law Firm get Rich doing Class Action Litigation.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I believe more in a Laissez Faire / Caveat Emptor approach when it comes to things Non-Safety related. Verses helping a Law Firm get Rich doing Class Action Litigation.

That is kind of a political statement so we’re walking the edge here, but let me try to address it generally.

Class action IS caveat emptor. It’s a bunch of consumers getting together and telling a company that they’re doing damage and stopping them. It also has the advantage of making sure the company actually IS doing what they are accused of. It’s much more orderly and accurate than a lynch mob, which is the other option.

The problem is a company is at least as capable of BSing folks long enough to kill or cripple a bunch of them as they are at competing against other companies. In the past it happened to such an alarming degree that communism happened. Communism died and a lot of people seem to be saying “well that’s over with, let’s go back to the old stuff now”. The problems that communism tried to address, however badly, are still there though.

Capitalism didn’t kill communism. Controlled capitalism did. Communism killed uncontrolled capitalism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread