Why a bad rap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I have a smok TFV8 Big Baby that has served me well for years. I've not heard any complaints about their tanks here on ECF, only their mods.
I had an X-baby that didn't seal properly at the top fill from the start.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
Feel the need to talk about the Prince Baby TPD version. The vape blunder of the century which has been quashed by Smok and all their dealers, and lead to a precipitous removal from shelves and the release of the Prince Baby V2.
Put it simply, it looked like it was easy to modify a Prince Baby TPD (2 ml) into a standard Prince Baby (3.5 ml).

Just replace the straight glass with a bubble glass.

Some dealers initially offered a bundle of the TPD tank and the bubble glass.

But.

For some reasons known only to Smok (and maybe not even them) the TPD tank is 0.2 mm taller than its standard issue!

Enough for the modified tank to leak like a sieve, as the rubber gaskets were not always good at compensating the extra length.

My working hypothesis is that Smok contracted the TPD tank to a different manufacturing outfit, which used different tooling. To think they did it on purpose would be aberrant.

Now, if you put together a taller tank with the mesh coils which leaked thru the bottom centre grommet, you may understand my frustration and all the swearing of all customers which were unable to stop the Prince Baby from leaking cause this double whammy.

They should have pulled the Prince Baby EU, and the mesh coils, from the market; and compensated the customers.

But they put a lid on it by releasing the v2 in a rush. They don't know what the word "recall" stands for...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
All the talk about SMOK made me get my Alien 220W out of storage and put a couple of VTC4's in it. It's a good vape, but I quit using it for pocket carry after it went to high wattage and burned the wick in two while I was away from home one day. I had to overlap and piece the wick back together to make it work until I got home (field repair :)).

Locking the fire button after every vape is too much trouble (5 clicks to lock/unlock), so I only use it at home where it can sit on a table. It has great hand feel. It's a little heavy with dual cells for a 10W vape, but it can take larger diameter attys better than a Pico 75W (my daily vape most of the time).

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I was thinking maybe they buy them because that's what the vape shops are pushing at them.
Actually, I'm pretty certain that SMOK designs their mods to appeal to younger adults -- loud color combinations and LED pulsing lights and odd form factors. One thing about SMOK, they have a top notch marketing department.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Actually, I'm pretty certain that SMOK designs their mods to appeal to younger adults -- loud color combinations and LED pulsing lights and odd form factors. One thing about SMOK, they have a top notch marketing department.

But Smok is not alone with the flash aesthetics – there are some pretty loud designs out there.

Smok’s parent company Shenzhen IVPS Technology CO, is an OEM for other brands – who I have no idea (not privy to that info), but having a sizable production line puts the Smok brand is a healthy position to release products at break neck speeds, thus saturating the market. I read a Bloomberg business statistic that in 2016 Smok owned 30% of the US vape market and up to 20% in the EU. Those are impressive numbers. The more product you produce, the more presence you can achieve thus market domination. The computer industry follows the same business plan. It becomes difficult to choose when a new buyer is uninformed of what is available and all they are exposed to is Smok.

That said, what goes up can also fall. In just this past year I have noticed where a year ago it was difficult to walk into a vape shop without tripping over a Smok product, where shops now have less Smok products on display. I’m sure some of this can be pointed at their poor reliability, but also feel the competition has just gotten that much stronger. Not to mention Juul came in and punched everyone in the gut! Grant it this is just my perception of the Toronto vape scene – but Toronto has a pretty healthy vape market which I am also sure shadows others.

Skrû_ball

Jul 4, 2018
30 dollar bottle of juice lasts a long time. I figure monthly cost is maybe 40-50 dollars.
Lost vape Orion is a nice solid device, also aspire breeze 2 are good, thought I would mention those to you.
Also.....
30$ for 1 bottle of e-liquid!?!? I pay 25$ at a local vape shop for 1 specific flavor I cannot get online very easily, but it’s only that specific flavor when I really want it, EVERYTHING else like hardware, and e-juice I buy online. I can get 4-5 100ml bottles online for 50-60$ easily, I think you are getting reamed for e-liquid 30$ for a bottle is almost double what you pay online even with shipping, I won’t pay more than 20$ and that’s only for a 120ml bottle. Take a look at elementvape, or breazy they both have great prices. Element has the best shipping/customer service I’ve ever found, and breazy can be really cheap and also has harder to find juices, just shipping is slightly slower. I also use Eightvape they are super cheap for “well known” juice lines like juice roll-upz, beard vape, dinner lady, keep it 100, cuttwood,etc., seriously I just bought a bottle of Charlie’s chalk dust ms meringue for 10$, and a Vandy vape simple ex kit for 20$, so 33$ for mod/rda, and a bottle of juice with shipping. Now I have heard there customer service is hit/miss, but I personally have never had any issues buying from them.
Still there is no reason to pay that much for e-liquid, coils and stuff are always cheaper online too, or should be. Some websites will try and gouge so you have to be careful, and comparison shop, also people on here can help with the best affordable and trustworthy sites, seriously if you vape two bottles a month pay 20-30$ instead of 60$. OH the Vandy vape simple ex is super small and meant for mouth to lung pod system like vaping, but it’s a squonk mod and you build your own coils, I have heard lots of pod users love the thing and switched to that if you want like 100 times better flavor, and the simple ex mod is still very pocketable.

Reactions: HigherStateD

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Lost vape Orion is a nice solid device, also aspire breeze 2 are good, thought I would mention those to you.
Also.....
30$ for 1 bottle of e-liquid!?!? I pay 25$ at a local vape shop for 1 specific flavor I cannot get online very easily, but it’s only that specific flavor when I really want it, EVERYTHING else like hardware, and e-juice I buy online. I can get 4-5 100ml bottles online for 50-60$ easily, I think you are getting reamed for e-liquid 30$ for a bottle is almost double what you pay online even with shipping, I won’t pay more than 20$ and that’s only for a 120ml bottle. Take a look at elementvape, or breazy they both have great prices. Element has the best shipping/customer service I’ve ever found, and breazy can be really cheap and also has harder to find juices, just shipping is slightly slower. I also use Eightvape they are super cheap for “well known” juice lines like juice roll-upz, beard vape, dinner lady, keep it 100, cuttwood,etc., seriously I just bought a bottle of Charlie’s chalk dust ms meringue for 10$, and a Vandy vape simple ex kit for 20$, so 33$ for mod/rda, and a bottle of juice with shipping. Now I have heard there customer service is hit/miss, but I personally have never had any issues buying from them.
Still there is no reason to pay that much for e-liquid, coils and stuff are always cheaper online too, or should be. Some websites will try and gouge so you have to be careful, and comparison shop, also people on here can help with the best affordable and trustworthy sites, seriously if you vape two bottles a month pay 20-30$ instead of 60$. OH the Vandy vape simple ex is super small and meant for mouth to lung pod system like vaping, but it’s a squonk mod and you build your own coils, I have heard lots of pod users love the thing and switched to that if you want like 100 times better flavor, and the simple ex mod is still very pocketable.

Sometimes our options require us to pay a little more than usual. Here in Canada Dinner Lady goes for premium prices. There are hundreds of other Lemon desert type juices, many which are much, much cheaper, but none taste like DN Lemon Tart. If I want DN Lemon Tart, then I have to accept its premium price.

I can certainly purchase it cheaper online from outside the country. But end up paying more than I would locally once shipping is calculated in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread