Why analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2010
Sacramento, CA.
Why are regular cigarettes called analog?

If we all agree their bad ( cigarettes ) why put a passive name on them, why not cancer sticks, coffin nails or cigarette's.
Electronic cigarette is a e cig, that makes sense. Didn't big tabacco try using passive and elusive words also even down right lies. I realize its just a forum but this was my introduction ( think first impressions ) to ecig's. It feels to me like when my son says "I'm going over to Joe's house for dinner". What he meant to say was I'm going to Joe's house because his dad lets us smoke pot and drink beer, it's ok dad I'm 14 and I know everything. This is just an example don't get all excited and start arguing the benefits of pot and beer. See I called it pot.....omg. What ever happened to straight talk just call it what it is. A rose by any other name... Just my .02

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
I still call them cigarettes, although I do try to be like the majority and call them analogs online since that is how they refer to them BUT, have to say I did find it confusing as a newbie seeing it referred this way at first..

Kinda like vaping, in the real world I still say I smoke, but add electronic cigarette at the end of it for now. I just find it weird to say I'm vaping I guess and like you, I prefer straight talk too..

radicaljd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
Actually, I think it would be better politically to abandon the terms "electronic cigarette" and "e-cigarette" altogether. As it is now, the uninformed public lumps the PV in with tobacco cigarettes, which may contribute to the current movement to ban or regulate PVs.

The PV has nothing in common with the tobacco cigarette, except the fact that the product is inhaled.

If you go are in a restaurant vaping, and the manager asks what that thing is, if you say it is an "electronic cigarette," he or she would be more likely to tell you to stop than if you identify it as a "personal vaporizer." Just speculation, I admit. Maybe I'll do my own statistical study, just for fun.

RadicalJD

JoeChemo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, USA
Electronic cigarette is a e cig, that makes sense.
Actually, that's also a misnomer. Some have the appearance of a cigarette and deliver nicotine to the user but they contain no tobacco and you don't smoke 'em. They're actually personal vaporizers (PVs). Attys = atomizers, cartos = cartomizers, carts = cartridges? No wonder newbies get confused. I guess the geeks who first latched onto e-cigs and got the ball rolling also got to choose all the buzz words.

JoeChemo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, USA
Actually, I think it would be better politically to abandon the terms "electronic cigarette" and "e-cigarette" altogether. As it is now, the uninformed public lumps the PV in with tobacco cigarettes, which may contribute to the current movement to ban or regulate PVs.

The PV has nothing in common with the tobacco cigarette, except the fact that the product is inhaled.

If you go are in a restaurant vaping, and the manager asks what that thing is, if you say it is an "electronic cigarette," he or she would be more likely to tell you to stop than if you identify it as a "personal vaporizer." Just speculation, I admit. Maybe I'll do my own statistical study, just for fun.

RadicalJD
I agree jd. :toast:

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Kinda like vaping, in the real world I still say I smoke, but add electronic cigarette at the end of it for now. I just find it weird to say I'm vaping I guess and like you, I prefer straight talk too..
In the "real world", I say I'm vaping. In fact, if someone refers to it as smoking, I politely correct them. There is no smoke involved. That IS the huge advantage of vaping over smoking. No smoke.

To someone who is entirely unfamiliar with vaping, there might be a need to explain the difference. That's an excellet chance to do a little PR work and break it down for them. Those people are becoming increasingly uncommon ... glad to say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread