Why are e-cig vendors so nosy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work. I travel. I vape. I've repeatedly run into the thing where some e-cig website takes it upon themselves to "investigate" me on suspicion of fraudulent credit card activity, though vendors in EVERY OTHER LINE OF BUSINESS seem to be capable of either doing this transparently or without managing to piss me off over the course of the process.:mad::mad:

I've seen it with ProVape (they were polite but ...... away days of my time), ElectronicStix (bit of an ......., I'm definitely never going to order another Zen atty, one is more than enough) and, most recently, VapeRev (will never attempt to shop there again, their customer support person is a .........,) who cancelled my order when I questioned their process.

The net result of all of this is that I've learned to just order it from fasttech and wait rather than deal with the hassle of American vendors delaying orders, sending rude emails, and invading my privacy. It's not like this is an expensive hobby in the first place, it's a lot cheaper than my other hobbies (guitars and esoteric bikes) and I'm always ordering things that cost WAY more than a couple or three hundred bucks, and NEVER have had to deal with people emailing me demanding to know why my addresses are what they are.

There's money on the card, kid, just charge it. Better yet, don't. That $250 mod that you just dicked me out of buying? China's selling it for $30, thanks for playing.

xpl0it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Miami, FL
Sounds like something you are doing to cause the concern from various vendors!

I've ordered from every single one of those vendors minus FastTech (Walmart) and have yet to have a single issue. Hell even my shipping/billing addresses are completely different as I vacation in multiple locations throughout the country and still haven't had any vendor issues.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I am surmising that the same credit card is being used to make purchases online from various IP addresses, including hotels in different cities across the US and/or abroad.

If I were a CC issuer or processor with strict anti-fraud protection, that would set off my alarms, too.

PS: If you're ordering anything online using a hotel's WiFi or wired internet connection, you're asking to be a victim of fraud yourself. Even if they offer VPN capability, those things have more bugs than the former Soviet Embassy.

shakeytails

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Kentucky, United States
I am surmising that the same credit card is being used to make purchases online from various IP addresses, including hotels in different cities across the US and/or abroad.

If I were a CC issuer or processor with strict anti-fraud protection, that would set off my alarms, too.

PS: If you're ordering anything online using a hotel's WiFi or wired internet connection, you're asking to be a victim of fraud yourself. Even if they offer VPN capability, those things have more bugs than the former Soviet Embassy.

Interesting info. I never thought of the IP addresses and such. But then, I don't order anything from anywhere but home.

BennyBlanco

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
Jersey City

if you use your own VPN you'll be fine

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I can resent it when a cashier asks for identification along with my CC or I can appreciate their efforts to protect me in doing so. Its no sweat off their noses. They get their money whether I'm a thief or not. Its a service to me rarely even done anymore. Choosing which way I'm going to view their request will either make me feel good or.. well... not. I choose to feel good.

Maybe, just maybe, its becoming a rarity to be asked for ID anymore because of people who climb up on their high, "who do you think you are?" horse. Its not worth putting their clerks through it anymore. And we all suffer as a result of such egocentricity because companies no longer try to protect us.

Last edited:
Sounds like something you are doing to cause the concern from various vendors!

I've ordered from every single one of those vendors minus FastTech (Walmart) and have yet to have a single issue. Hell even my shipping/billing addresses are completely different as I vacation in multiple locations throughout the country and still haven't had any vendor issues.

I wonder what that thing might be, given that the difference between us is that I am not on vacation. Whatever the case, I ended up getting a literal stack of clones with the money that I'd intended to spend on a Silver Dog, it's not like I actually need anything that VapeRev has in stock.

As for more detail, I'm not sure how much more there is to provide. I'm talking about little ~$150 orders for the most part, I can't imagine why these people are literally freaking out over chump change.

...it'd be another thing if it was a $1500 order, investigate away. But $150? These guys wasted more than that much of my time going back and forth with them.

Well that was the thing as well: VapeRev told me that it's suspicious that I ordered from a Fedex site.

I'm working at the Fedex IT HQ in Memphis, it's a secure campus with two levels of security and every other thing requires carded access.

I can see how that would look suspicious.

Not.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Sounds like your in the same boat I am Your CC address is different from your mailing address. Its one of the issues we have to deal with in the plastic money age. As far as your time if your not getting paid its not worth anything. If Ordering vaping supplies is cutting in to your work time You can PM me and for a small consulting fee I will organize you a scheduled so you can be a little more productive.

Identity thieves don't usually go after large purchases they make several purchases under 200$ so as not to raise flags. I respect your frustration but with CC fraud running rampant in the ecig world I dont think you will get much sympathy from a vendor verifying identity before making a sale.

I have weekly Fedex from my company for payroll and blueprints ect.... I have stuff sent to them then shipped with the weekly fedex Its just easier in most cases. I also attached their address to my Online CC I have very few issues thees days.

Last edited:

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
I've ordered from all three as well and have nothing but stellar service, especially from vape rev. I have ordered on the go with various addresses, yes I have had to sometimes clarify it to a vender so that my order would be placed; I have also had my number grabbed from an ecig vender as well and a bunch of fraudulent charges applied to my card. Given the options between the two I would rather a suspicious vender than an ambivalent one. And how would any vender know you were ordering from a secure location requiring carded access, is that part of your address? Not saying that their suspicion is justified or that they weren’t rude to you. Just my experiences were the opposite of yours. I can understand the feeling of having your privacy violated, I once had a juice vender put my order on hold until I provided a copy of my photo ID and a utilities bill with matching address, of course they requested this after they had taken my money. It took three days of constant calling to finally cancel the order and get a refund. Its fine if that’s your policy for age identification but it should be clearly stated up front before any money is taken. It sucks you had a bad experience, I'm sure they had your best interests at heart though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread