Why ceramics in a genesis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamBlower

Nov 25, 2015
I see there is some discussion of using ceramics as wicks in gennies. My question is why? As this defeates some of the purpose of a gennie. Im sure ceramics gives a clean tase and wicks great, but ceramics are poor conducturs of heat, so they will act more like cotton or rayon than mesh. Im not trying act as the gennie police, telling people what to put in their gennies, I just dont see the point of using ceramics over other types of "clean" tasting wicking materials

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
I've also always just used SS Mesh in my gennies, but I would suppose some of the reasons for trying ceramic would be that it's non-conductive electrically, can be dry burned and cleaned pretty easily (as I understand it), and (as mentioned above) doesn't conduct heat the way SS does. I have noticed with some juices in a gennie that the hot wick sitting in the juice can sort of caramelize it changing the flavor. There really doesn't seem to be a perfect wick material for all cases, everything has positive and negatives and I guess it comes down to what you're willing to deal with to get the vape you want. :)

As I said though, this is all conjecture as I've only ever used mesh, have been happy with it, and haven't seen the need to fiddle with something else. (Took me long enough to get mesh wicks down!)

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
I'd luv to try ceramic in My Gennies!...cost/availability of 'em in the UK scuppers the idea tho'...
Using it in My In'Ax Nano clone hybrid dripper gave Me great results tho'...clean, 'neutral' taste; great wicking; the ability to clean coil & wick with just a dry-burn; speed & ease of building.
I have to say tho' that I vape mainly DIY NETs so gunk & caramelising are always gonna be part & parcel of whatever I use:- it's what turned Me on to mesh/rope in the 1st place!

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Great flavor and coiling them is made ridiculously simple because of the absence of hot spots to work out initially or have to worry about reoccurring at a later date.

I don't use them, I'm quite comfortable with building a mesh or mesh+SS rope wick around 5-7 minutes, so neutralizing hotspots obviously isn't something that i struggle with ENOUGH to justify the cost of ceramic wicks.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I think one must also consider that one's coils are going to get gunked up, particularly if one is vaping a dark juice with RY4 in it, and pulling the wick out to clean the coil is very likely to snap a ceramic wick, if you didn't snap it before that just getting it into the coil. I suppose there are pluses to ceramic, but I think they are more than offset by the minuses.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I haven't vaped a genny in years and when I did, I started with mesh and then moved to ceramic. At that time the fc-2000 wicks were on the rise and decided to give them a try. I really ejoyed the flavor of ceramic, much better imo then mesh. It was brittle and you definitely had to be careful but once it was coiled, you could keep it like that for weeks, just dry burning occasionally. I liked the fact that there was hardly any hotspots compared to mesh. It did have a heat sink issue and did have a ramp up heat time but when it was working just right, it was and still to date the best tasting vape I have ever had, period

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
^Hmmmm.... I have two Silica wicks I got from Zen a while back, never used them... you're making me seriously consider giving it a go.

Any tips for someone proficient in making all types of genesis coils - but has never used the entirely too brittle ceramics yet?
Silica or ceramic? For one it would be harder with thicker gauge wire, when I was using porous ceramic 28g was the thickest anyone was using , so I would recommend 30 to 27g wires. I would also give the wire a quick heat before wrapping. I used to connect negative lead first, insert wick, then wrap wire by holding wire still while turning mod and tank , I found that I could feel tension better that way instead of holding mod still and make wraps by circling with hand to make wraps. You can coil ceramic first and then insert , I just didn't do it that way because I could get a tighter wrap the other way. If I remember rightly, you had to boil wicks when received and I pre measured lenght and if they needed a trim to fit within the tank, I snipped first. The most important thing is for the wraps to be as tight as possible unlike mesh. The tighter the wraps the less break in time. Yes the wicks are brittle and for me about 1 in 7 could snap, but once in, you can keep it going for a month with just dry burns to clean. I believe after a month, I would take wick out with the coil attached and boil

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
Silica or ceramic? For one it would be harder with thicker gauge wire, when I was using porous ceramic 28g was the thickest anyone was using , so I would recommend 30 to 27g wires. I would also give the wire a quick heat before wrapping. I used to connect negative lead first, insert wick, then wrap wire by holding wire still while turning mod and tank , I found that I could feel tension better that way instead of holding mod still and make wraps by circling with hand to make wraps. You can coil ceramic first and then insert , I just didn't do it that way because I could get a tighter wrap the other way. If I remember rightly, you had to boil wicks when received and I pre measured lenght and if they needed a trim to fit within the tank, I snipped first. The most important thing is for the wraps to be as tight as possible unlike mesh. The tighter the wraps the less break in time. Yes the wicks are brittle and for me about 1 in 7 could snap, but once in, you can keep it going for a month with just dry burns to clean. I believe after a month, I would take wick out with the coil attached and boil

Hey man it's been a long time since I've talked to you, I think last time we talked you were gaga about either the kayfun or the tiafun I foget which....what is this about giving up your gennys...what are you vaping these days.....please don't tell me sub-ohm tanks.

Reactions: yourgurnard

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Hey man it's been a long time since I've talked to you, I think last time we talked you were gaga about either the kayfun or the tiafun I foget which....what is this about giving up your gennys...what are you vaping these days.....please don't tell me sub-ohm tanks.
NO SUB OHM TANKS for me. I still have one genny tank that I do still vape occasionally, but my all day vape is my erlkonigin's, Gem, aqua, and the new and pretty awesome kayfun mini-3. With the gennys, I kind of switched back from mesh to ceramic and then I tried the whole micro coil & cotton thing. What I really liked about that was the intense TH it provided, that along with regulated mods over 15 watts gave me that true cigarette TH and it was hard to get that from my gennys and ceramic. There are times when I crave that intense smooth flavor provided by my genesis devise but for the most part I dont. Good seeing you again

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
NO SUB OHM TANKS for me. I still have one genny tank that I do still vape occasionally, but my all day vape is my erlkonigin's, Gem, aqua, and the new and pretty awesome kayfun mini-3. With the gennys, I kind of switched back from mesh to ceramic and then I tried the whole micro coil & cotton thing. What I really liked about that was the intense TH it provided, that along with regulated mods over 15 watts gave me that true cigarette TH and it was hard to get that from my gennys and ceramic. There are times when I crave that intense smooth flavor provided by my genesis devise but for the most part I dont. Good seeing you again

just got a BMG22 not long back and am looking at the origen genesis v2 mkii....I figure dual ceramic wicks ...what the hell....mesh or ceramics for me...I just never liked cotton just gives me to airy a type of vape...not that dense flavor I get off a genny....I feel like a freak still vaping gennys,,,,,I have people ask me ...what's a genny....

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
just got a BMG22 not long back and am looking at the origen genesis v2 mkii....I figure dual ceramic wicks ...what the hell....mesh or ceramics for me...I just never liked cotton just gives me to airy a type of vape...not that dense flavor I get off a genny....I feel like a freak still vaping gennys,,,,,I have people ask me ...what's a genny....
I hear you. ....... dual genny wicks, now that's something I never tried, although it was probably because there were no gennys at that time that could do that. So what wattages are you now vaping those gennys at? When I was doing genesis, for the most part 15 watts on my then , provari, and maybe 20 on a mech. I vape between 23 to 27 on my current devices , what are you vaping on the duals?

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
well it's funny I started out like most of us vaping my genny at like 1.2 ohms...then worked my way down to about .8 stayed there for a long time but now after getting a hellfire and the bmg22 I vape them around 1 ohm.....I haven't got a dual wick genny yet , because like you say there weren't any that could handle them I always thought the Kraken was a piece of crap, and I never tried the steam turbine...I don't really like doc daves center post design...the cool thing about the origen genny is that it has an adjustable airflow, the flavor is supposed to be great the wick hole are like 3 mm and the others are like 4mm, as you remember almost no gennys could handle a ceramic wick without being drilled out, so this genny could easily handle fc-2000z...actually with those 4mm wickholes you could make some big ... ceramic wicks...vape it around .7 or .6.....and with that adjustable air flow it can handle lower ohm builds that a regular genny would just starve for air. As you can tell I'm still vaping mech mods.......I just haven't found a good enough reason to get a robomod...

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
well it's funny I started out like most of us vaping my genny at like 1.2 ohms...then worked my way down to about .8 stayed there for a long time but now after getting a hellfire and the bmg22 I vape them around 1 ohm.....I haven't got a dual wick genny yet , because like you say there weren't any that could handle them I always thought the Kraken was a piece of crap, and I never tried the steam turbine...I don't really like doc daves center post design...the cool thing about the origen genny is that it has an adjustable airflow, the flavor is supposed to be great the wick hole are like 3 mm and the others are like 4mm, as you remember almost no gennys could handle a ceramic wick without being drilled out, so this genny could easily handle fc-2000z...actually with those 4mm wickholes you could make some big ... ceramic wicks...vape it around .7 or .6.....and with that adjustable air flow it can handle lower ohm builds that a regular genny would just starve for air. As you can tell I'm still vaping mech mods.......I just haven't found a good enough reason to get a robomod...
Same, started 1.2 then down to about .8 after a while, so max back then with my mechs, maybe 20 watts were the most I ever put through a mesh or ceramic. I just haven't really been following gennys lately and didn't know if with those big hole, or dual gennys, that guys are vaping in the 25 to 30 watt range. Like you said, I had to drill out my gennys back then but funny thing, although I was using it with the old provari, some of the best ceramic vape I had was with the thin fc wick. I forget the sizes, and this thin one eventually got discontinued, but that thin one was awesome and for that one, no drilling required. I think it was 1/16 or 3/32 or something and no doubt was easy to snap, but with some 30g wire and about 1.2 to 1.4 ohms it was freaken great. I would like to get into that again, but now I'm vaping 24mg nic, 25 watts on average and need a big TH and I'm just not sure if I can get that in a genny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread