Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Sites that I've seen selling ceramic wicks have had them for really high prices compared to the cost of using SS cable and mesh. Where do those who swear by ceramics get their ceramic wicks? Recommend any good and reasonable sources?
I wouldn't even know where to get them these days but I know there are threads here with all that info. When I was doing the fc 2000, I got them straight from the maker who then was selling to electronic stix. I had gotten so many just to beta test them that I never had to buy and I still have some left. But yes , that was the big con, they were expensive and one could break real easily, so alot never thought it was worth it. Also alot were making them their own, they used the ceramic that was in fish tank pumps and cutting them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Hey guys, figured id chime in. Ill be brief. I buy them from:
5 Pack of FC2000 Ceramic Wick

Heres a great forum on the FC-2000
fc-2000 porous ceramic wick

I switched for the flavor and I have had the same coil and wick for 2 months w/o needing to rewire. The wicks will last a long time if cared for.
Is that thread still open? It's has to be over 3 years since I started that. If it is still going, I'm sure there will be alot of new ideas and such, if not, still great info that was proven to work really well

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
I am not sure if people are still talking on it but it has a lot of good info. and there's this one:
The Next Big thing.... Porous Ceramic Wicks

Ceramics Pros: Lasts forever if you boil them occasionally, cleanest flavor, no shorts, did I say lasts forever? By my calculation it's cheaper than mesh if you dont break them repeatedly.
Cons: brittle, hard to find/buy, unique long break-in period, longer than mesh heat-up time, occasionally have to tip it if you're chain vaping, if you know mesh you will basically have to relearn how to wrap a coil on it, lets be honest.. it's not cheaper because you will break them occasionally.

Vape what you like. If you feel like tinkering try something new. : )

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I am not sure if people are still talking on it but it has a lot of good info. and there's this one:
The Next Big thing.... Porous Ceramic Wicks

Ceramics Pros: Lasts forever if you boil them occasionally, cleanest flavor, no shorts, did I say lasts forever? By my calculation it's cheaper than mesh if you dont break them repeatedly.
Cons: brittle, hard to find/buy, unique long break-in period, longer than mesh heat-up time, occasionally have to tip it if you're chain vaping, if you know mesh you will basically have to relearn how to wrap a coil on it, lets be honest.. it's not cheaper because you will break them occasionally.

Vape what you like. If you feel like tinkering try something new. : )
I agree with all you said, but there is a way not to get that long break in period and it's all in the tightness of the wrap. If one could wrap the ceramic soo tight as to not have any gaps between the coil and wick, the break in period is very minimal. There may be newer ways now, but what you will see in the fc 2000 thread is what's called a hot wrap. I used to do it all the time and it worked. Thanks for the link, I didn't even think it was accessible anymore tbh, because it has been closed for 3 years.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
When I use Kanthal I use the "Elias hotwrap" method. Its brilliant! easy to find on the youstubes. I still think the wick itself wicks faster after a few days.
elias hotwrap - YouTube
There you go! This all brings back awesome memories, Elias was a good guy.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I dunno, that hot wrap thing looks like a lot more bother than my mesh wicks, which I never get shorts with and which have always done all I've asked of them. I'm happy with mesh so I'll just stick to that.
It can be a pain and I have felt the heat on my fingers for sure . I agree that mesh can be easier for the most part but ceramic has a better flavor imo.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Well life is full of little trade-offs, and I've no issues with the flavor I get from mesh, moreover it can't snap while I'm wicking my coil.
I do neither anymore, I find a micro coil and a rayon build in a quality rta to fit my vaping style these days. The mesh and caramel were awesome to me a few years ago but somehow transitioned away. Anyways just keep vaping and stay away from the stinkys, that's all that matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread