Not open for further replies.

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
Hi All!

I've been building my coils at about 1.4 to 1.5 ohms for my RM2. Vape was a bit harsh (strong menthol e-juice) and on top of having a cold it was aggravating/causing a sore throat.

So I decided to try something new and wrapped a 2 ohm coil. Huge difference for me. The vape is not harsh anymore, some might think it a bit muted, but it suits me very well. I must admit that this is the first mech mod that I've used that hasn't been kicked so I'm really just finding what works given that the output of a true mech is so dependent on how you build it. With a 2 ohm coil, and fresh battery, I'm getting the taste and vapor production that I want. I'm truly enjoying this much more than 1.4 ohms. (juice is 80/20 PG/VG.)

I can only imagine that dropping down to say a .5 to .7 ohm coil would be harsher than the 1.4 builds I tried. What is the attraction to sub-ohming? I know a lot of people like it, and I was going to try it, but I don't think my throat will stand it. But I'd really like to know what those who sub-ohm like about it. A genuine question. I'm not saying my setup is better than another, I'd just like to know what benefits other folks are getting out of sub-ohms. And of course, all this is personal preference, to be sure! :vapor:

patrao_n

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
United States
Just because its under an ohm doesn't necessarily mean its harsher. Having better airflow will ease up the throat hit. Also adjusting coil height. I do not us strong menthol. So wouldn't know how harsh it would be. Also remember nic level carries more throat hit the higher mg you go. I like my coils at .8-1.0

Sent from my SM-N900T

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
Just because its under an ohm doesn't necessarily mean its harsher. Having better airflow will ease up the throat hit. Also adjusting coil height. I do not us strong menthol. So wouldn't know how harsh it would be. Also remember nic level carries more throat hit the higher mg you go. I like my coils at .8-1.0

Sent from my SM-N900T

Learning every day! Thanks! I keep my coil close to the deck but I've tried it well off the deck as well, and points in between. My nic level is on the higher side, 24. Just seems the lower I go in ohms the harsher it gets. I know different juices like different amounts of power, so to speak. That may be one aspect of it....

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
When I was dripping in a regular atty, anything below 2ohms at 7.5 watts was too harsh. I was vaping 24 and 18mg juice then. Since switching to Reos and different RDAs, I now vape at .8 to 1 ohms, about 18 to 22 watts, but I have also dropped my nic level to 12 to 15mg. I also have some dual coil builds at .5 to .6 ohms that I vape on an air flow adjustable RBA. Airflow is the key, if the air hole is too small with lower ohms the hit is to harsh.

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
When I was dripping in a regular atty, anything below 2ohms at 7.5 watts was too harsh. I was vaping 24 and 18mg juice then. Since switching to Reos and different RDAs, I now vape at .8 to 1 ohms, about 18 to 22 watts, but I have also dropped my nic level to 12 to 15mg. I also have some dual coil builds at .5 to .6 ohms that I vape on an air flow adjustable RBA. Airflow is the key, if the air hole is too small with lower ohms the hit is to harsh.

:) All these little things. Wasn't 2 months ago I was wondering why my plain old eGo wasn't working. Have to turn it on (I keep 'em locked when stored.) What a great little hobby. A great little expensive hobby :danger: But oh so much fun. :evil:

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
I'm just gonna walk away...

Nah, it was a legit question. Got a couple of responses that gave me some more info. Really wasn't meant to be a this vs that kind of thing in terms of what's better. I know enough to know this is all very much personal preference.

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
Nah, it was a legit question. Got a couple of responses that gave me some more info. Really wasn't meant to be a this vs that kind of thing in terms of what's better. I know enough to know this is all very much personal preference.
My recommendation would be to never try sub ohm. I use my 1 ohm reo away from home and I'm fine with that but at home I enjoy huge vapes. The huge vapes EAT juice. I'm talking 6ml in an hour or two. lol

T1lVl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
I sub ohm cause it keeps me from smokinh. I enjoy the intense hit

Also with the vape being really warm it helps the feel of a hit.

By sub ohm and having thst intener warm vape I have dropped my nicotine from my start of april 2013 at 32mg to now at 1 mg and doesn't bother me.

I truthfully enjoy not vaping for a long time then getting that super intense vape.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
My recommendation would be to never try sub ohm. I use my 1 ohm reo away from home and I'm fine with that but at home I enjoy huge vapes. The huge vapes EAT juice. I'm talking 6ml in an hour or two. lol

Recommendation based on the "more juice for me" school of thought, eh? :party:

SavePaperVapor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
Minnesota, USA
Recommendation based on the "more juice for me" school of thought, eh? :party:

lol. I'm thinking more wallet wise. Frankly, I find it relaxing to blow a few clouds on the couch. I can't put my finger on why that is. I do have 20 month old twin boys so that may have something to do with it. I should state that I'm not vaping with them around. Even though I think it l it's harmless I don't know for sure.

Rev. Stabard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Dark side of the moon
lol. I'm thinking more wallet wise. Frankly, I find it relaxing to blow a few clouds on the couch. I can't put my finger on why that is. I do have 20 month old twin boys so that may have something to do with it. I should state that I'm not vaping with them around. Even though I think it l it's harmless I don't know for sure.

I'm sure they keep you busy! I've got a 5 year old and he alone keeps me going sunup to sundown. Can't imagine twins :) I see the lure of big clouds from those that have responded and use sub ohm rigs. I guess the question I have is doesn't that just fry everything out of the juice? I'm going on my experience that 2 ohms is nice and fresh, 1.4 ohms is harsh, 1.7 is in between, therefore (and I know this is an assumption likely to be wrong) dropping the ohms any further is going to result in harsher, burnt taste.

Even at 2 ohms the TH is more than an analog. Maybe I just need to use more VG.....

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA

Nah you just don't understand black6host. This is mad man Z, he vapes using a .005 ohm coil on a RM2 with an air hole you could stick your arm through. He goes through a half bottle of juice per hit.... He's a bad man.

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey

Nah you just don't understand black6host. This is mad man Z, he vapes using a .005 ohm coil on a RM2 with an air hole you could stick your arm through. He goes through a half bottle of juice per hit.... He's a bad man.

Thanks Raynman. Yes, black6host, you entirely misinterpreted my post. My apologies.

In my defense, my current build is only 0.20Ω. The thing about the juice is true, though. For convenience purposes, I've replaced my 6mL bottle with a 60 gallon keg that I just sort of lug around.

Edit: Here are some pics from a few weeks ago. The build below is 0.28Ω.

7coOJmMl.jpg

8jfkKJHl.jpg

Pws7Xrsl.jpg

Last edited:

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
I find sub-ohming to more closely simulate an actual cigarette "hit," which is what I like.

When I was using carto-tanks, I really had trouble wrapping my head around the concept. Vaping at 30 Watts???? Nahhhhh.... hogwash. If I tried to crank my carto-tank up to 12 Watts, it'd be nothing but a harsh burnt mess.

But alas; there are two ways to skin a cat.

With proper coil builds, positioning, airflow, and juice supply to keep up; there's nothing burnt about it at all. It's a quicker, denser, flavor bomb; and the nicotine hits you like a freight train.

Vaping perfection. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread