Why does it go to 50 watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
Somehow, I inadvertently pushed the buttons just wrong today and it went from 7 watts (my usual power setting) to 50 watts (the highest setting). I didn't even mean to push any of those buttons.

I experienced instant burnout and a horrible taste in my mouth and the coil was instantly ruined.

Do people really vape at such high power? If so, how often do you have to replace the coil? And how many ohms are you putting that through? The coil I replaced it with is 1.77 ohms which is about the same as the one I burned out.

50 watts seems so excessive to me that I double-checked and yes, that's what it says it goes up to. Even at 7.5 watts the coils seem to burn out too fast which is why I vape at 7.

I feel like Nigel Tufnel designed this thing. "But it goes to 50. That's 43 higher than 7. So it's like 43 more. So when you're vaping at 7 watts and you want that extra push over the cliff..."

(I'm actually impressed that Nigel could do the math to figure that 50 was 43 higher than 7)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I vape anywhere from 20 watts to 45 watts MTL ;)
    I use higher wattage for an RDA with a tricore fused clapton coil. Lower wattage for a teeny flat wire coil in an RTA.

And the only danger of vaping at higher wattages is: using a battery that doesn't have a high enough CDR for your chosen wattage
    regmodbatt-bad.jpg

From @Baditude 's Blog: (9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum

username1970

May 14, 2012
    USA
    I vape anywhere from 20 watts to 45 watts MTL ;)
    I use higher wattage for an RDA with a tricore fused clapton coil. Lower wattage for a teeny flat wire coil in an RTA.

And the only danger of vaping at higher wattages is: using a battery that doesn't have a high enough CDR for your chosen wattage
    View attachment 901753
    From @Baditude 's Blog: (9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum

Thanks. I'm kind of naive about this stuff I guess. I'm disappointed because I think I had at least another week left on that coil.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Do people really vape at such high power? If so, how often do you have to replace the coil? And how many ohms are you putting that through? The coil I replaced it with is 1.77 ohms which is about the same as the one I burned out.

It all depends on the coil you're using. Low resistance wires (26g and below) require more power (watts) to heat up than high resistance wires 28g+).

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Thanks. I'm kind of naive about this stuff I guess. I'm disappointed because I think I had at least another week left on that coil.

What's the manufacturer's recommended wattage for that coil? Always follow those recommendations--and start low, even lower than the lowest recommended wattage, especially with a new coil. And make sure that a new coil is primed properly.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    With the right drop in coil (or build) you can vape whatever wattage you want, really. It's all in the right PAIRING.

To be honest, l find like High wattage vaping utterly vile even WITH the right coil. I just plain don't like it.

MY WORST ever "accidentally turn up my wattage event" involved a HEFTY pull on a Legend mod, with a zenith 1.6 resistance coil. I was driving. It was DARK, It was a LONG INHALE. 200 WATTS.

I think only the fact that I have tended to be a sort of "handle tragic events/wacky/extremist driver" enabled me to stay on the road dude, I was coughing so hard. IT SUCKED.

It actually destroyed the coil so badly, IT WOULD NO LONGER READ the next day. I mean, it wouldn't give me a resistance. A little baby vaper "begged" me (more or less) to try and vape it but I was like, "UM I TOTALLY WOULD in the interests on SCIENCE except you need to remember what "will not read means" which means "The mod will not fire it."

Anna

She who has learned to lock her wattage. I bet your mod will do it. Learn how.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    ^^-- I've only accidently changed it to full power by pressing the button while carrying too much stuff.

Correct power setting has to do with surface area of the coil in contact with the wick and the amount of airflow. The coil for 70 watts is essentially 10 times as big as for 7 watts, uses 10 times the juice and airflow, and puts out 10 times as much vapor. Due to certain variations of geometry, more often it will have maybe 8 times the surface area, and 15-30 times the mass. The vaper will often take shorter hits as well. It's more comparable to setting up 10 of your 7 watt atomizers in parallel somehow.

Both those vapes can be made with a wide range of coil resistances. Coil resistance, without context, means almost nothing. In the days where most people used direct battery voltage, it was essentially an inverse power measurement. However even regulated mods do have a maximum voltage output and 50 watts through 1.77 ohms would require 9.4 volts so it is possible this protected you slightly. There are definitely advantages to not using a mod with way more power than you need! Or lock power. Or I now use Temperature control which not only protects in itself, the power setting is in a sub-menu.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Somehow, I inadvertently pushed the buttons just wrong today and it went from 7 watts (my usual power setting) to 50 watts (the highest setting). I didn't even mean to push any of those buttons.

I experienced instant burnout and a horrible taste in my mouth and the coil was instantly ruined.

50 watts seems so excessive to me that I double-checked and yes, that's what it says it goes up to. Even at 7.5 watts the coils seem to burn out too fast which is why I vape at 7.

I feel like Nigel Tufnel designed this thing. "But it goes to 50. That's 43 higher than 7. So it's like 43 more. So when you're vaping at 7 watts and you want that extra push over the cliff..."

(I'm actually impressed that Nigel could do the math to figure that 50 was 43 higher than 7)

50 Watts with a 1.77 Ohms Coil would probably taste like a Combination of Burnt Marshmallows and Welding Fumes. Especially on a Coil designed to be used at Lower Wattage.

But 50 Watts at 0.15 Ohms might give you a Ho-Hum Weak Hit.

So it's all kinda a Dance between Watts and Ohms.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Do people really vape at such high power?
    Yes, 50 watts isn't considered particularly high anymore. However, they use coils and atomizers that are designed for such power levels, and they go through a lot of juice.

Personally, I've never seen the appeal, but hey, to each his own.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    I can't see the point of high power seeing as the batteries don't last more than a couple of hundred seconds, if that !. Just one big PITA.
    With a 2x700 in a single battery mod, I only use at most 3 batteries a day, and that's if I'm chain vaping above 50w. It really doesn't seem that bad after 5-6 cigalike batteries a day

amoret

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 2, 2013
    Sharon, ND, USA
    I was a total 'tootle puffer' going at about 10W/1.2 ohms until I could no longer get my favorite low wattage mods. Since I had to switch anyhow I tried Temperature Control and fiddled with that for a while, but ended up back to just adjustable wattage, but am now at ~35-40W at .5 ohms. I doubt I'll go any higher than that since hand problems limit me to single battery devices, and I'm very satisfied with the flavor and nicotine delivery at this level.

The interesting thing is that the .5 ohm coils for my Uwell Crown last a lot longer than my Kangar high ohm ones did. Of course they also cost a lot more.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    50 watts is for DTL vapers. Most of the MTL vapers are at 30W and under. Even that depends on whether or not they vape MTL or DTL. Lots of us vape at low wattage because we like our vape experience to be similar to the way we smoked. That, and we can vape discreetly inside stores and restaurants without anyone making a fuss about it.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    @username1970 It's possible that your mod has a function to lock the wattage, have a look at the manual.
    A comparison would be the speedo on a car that goes to a 180mph, it doesn't mean you have to drive at that speed. I have a three battery 300 watt mod. I run it around 70 watts (with a large exotic coil) and get battery life for days.
    50 watts is actually pretty low, the average entry level wattage for many mods on the market for a while now is in excess of 200 watts, which in my opinion is mental.

One can but aspire to be being as macho as this guy

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    With a 2x700 in a single battery mod, I only use at most 3 batteries a day, and that's if I'm chain vaping above 50w. It really doesn't seem that bad after 5-6 cigalike batteries a day

It all depends on current draw. At 10W I get all day vaping from a cell in my Pico 21700. I may change cells late in the evening before I retire for the night. I generally use 2 cells a day in an 18650 mod, changing out around supper time.

I'm mostly a Pico guy. Most of my preferred ADV mods are Pico 75W and the Pico 20700. Both will slip in a pocket easily.

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    It all depends on current draw. At 10W I get all day vaping from a cell in my Pico 21700. I may change cells late in the evening before I retire for the night. I generally use 2 cells a day in an 18650 mod, changing out around supper time.

I'm mostly a Pico guy. Most of my preferred ADV mods are Pico 75W and the Pico 20700. Both will slip in a pocket easily.
    If I were more active, I could surely get by with 10ml daily at 60-80w, which the topside handily does with one 20700. Alas, I have become more sedentary as of late. That being said, I find that at lower wattage, I take longer pulls due to longer ramp times. In my case at least, I feel it's a wash for hassle of switching cells and refilling. At lower wattage, I can't take a quick 1-2 puff and achieve a satisfying effect.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread