Why does it only taste burnt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mELIANTE

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Portugal
I am a noob, only been vaping for less than a week.
In my house there is a M401 and a DSE901 e-cigs and I use the M401, which I'm starting to think is not very good. The taste of the 901 is so much better and smooth. It's like the M401 can't make me taste the juice at all. I use kent flavour e-juice from heaven-gifts(dekang) and in the M401 is pretty agressive, doesn't have the softer/sweeter taste of the 901, but a more sour one. What could be wrong with it or is just like that?
I posted this question in my Vaper's Log thread but I guess not many people read it, maybe here I can get some feedback.

Thanks

Rhaevyn

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2009
Tigard, Oregon
www.myspace.com
Maybe it's the atty? Some atomizers take longer to burn off the prime than others. I've never used an M401 so someone else will have to speak for them. Have you tried sticking some paper towel in the atty and blowing it out first? Or just puffing it a bit then priming it with a couple of drops of your liquid?

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Yes, but shouldn't M401 give out some flavour, at least? Or are the juices all that bland? Oh, and maybe I should try less nicotine mg? The one I have is harsh to my throat... I'm still getting the hang of this:D

Thanks for your reply rs4orce:)

You may have primer or some other build up. Try soaking the atomizer in hot water for just a few hours. Blow it out and let it sit on a paper towel over night. See if that helps. Remember to prime it by putting a drop or two right on the atomizer. In fact, you may want to try that, too. Open bridge units are better for dripping anyway.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. I've got 901 atomizers and 510 adapters on the way. I love my 510 but adored my 901.

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I've been using the same atty since I got the kit. Already cleaned it using alcohol, by putting it a cup and swirling for a while. Some black stuff was on the alcohol when I finished. Then, let it dry over night. Still the same flavour persists. I'm getting frustrated. Anyhow, I'm still off analogs:D

The 401 can burn pretty hot, and doesn't cool off as quickly as others.
It's better suited for short hard lung draws that pull a lot of air through. This will make it rather noisy, however, something like the crackling effect that cloves give off (at least, I think so).
If you keep puffing on it as frequently as the light weight allows you'll heat it up substantially, and may well burn a bit of the e-liquid.

It's also quite possible that you have an atty that just likes to run hot. They have been reported occasionally, just as cool ones. Of course, each person's preference will dictate if this is a good or bad thing.

I like using one of mine that seems to run a bit hotter for my coffee flavor, and a cool one for my fruit flavors. Menthol seems a bit more bulletproof and tastes good in either.

mELIANTE

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Portugal
I only have kent 18mg and apple 24mg. They both taste the same:(
I'm going to get a couple more flavours. I'd like it to taste a soft sweet flavour, like a cream or vanilla. Maybe the flavours I chose didn't go well with this model. Thinking of trying vanilla or cream and Ry4. This time I'm ordering from Anycig. Maybe I get more lucky this time. In the end I might get another e-cig. M401 disappointed me, and I really like holding it and mine looks really good. It's a pitty.
I also found that the atties I own, have some kind of rubber band around the bottom of their mesh. Is it supposed to have that? Between the mesh and the metal casing. I can't pass the thought that that's where I'm getting the burnt flavour from...

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
The M401 definitely burns hotter than the 901 and that contributes to the throat hit that originally got me off analogs and it's still my favorite. It will not do many flavors justice, however. Flue cured tobacco, RY4 and occasionally Hilton are my favorites in the M401. I love Kent and Turkish blend in the 510, but they don't taste nearly as good in the 401.

Belowme

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2008
Portland, OR
If you think 401s kill flavour, don't try a 510

I second that!

but flavor you can easily get more of in the 510 if you drip and top off IMO

Also make sure your DSE-901 is a real one by checking for the SLB stamps on thr batt and atty, where they connect.

I know I keep saying this but it is because of my horrible experience of ignorance in getting a FAKE dse901b

Last edited:

mELIANTE

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Portugal
Yes, my DSE901 is real. It was the first thing I checked when I got the kits :)
Oh well, my atty just went over another cleaning session, drying overnight and still doesn't taste better. I guess I'll have to live with it. Ordering some RY4 today, or maybe menthol is more noticeable?

About that rubber strip I mentioned earlier, anyone knows what that is and is it suposed to be there? You can see it in this image, I guess it's supposed to be there but isn't it bad putting rubber near heat?:confused:
157.jpg

Wireguy

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Birmingham Al
About the liquids tasting the same. Tobacco flavors are strong. Apple is subtle. The tobacco flavor will linger and overpower the apple. I keep 4 attys going. Menthol, tobacco, subtle flavors and a miscellaneous

I didn't see you say you blow out the atty before you clean it. I blow, stand up and drain and then soak. I skip the soak unless I'm trying to get rid of a strong flavor.

ZorbaTheGreek

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
About that rubber strip I mentioned earlier, anyone knows what that is and is it suposed to be there? You can see it in this image, I guess it's supposed to be there but isn't it bad putting rubber near heat?
I noticed that one mine. It does look like it's part of the assembly. The one thing I'd say about it is, I lost my 401 in a chair nook and it's button got pressed 8-o Found it the next day with a dead battery and a massively melted cart! It didn't burn, but it had definitely melted and bent a bunch. The strip you mentioned hadn't melted at all though from what I can tell. And the little champ of an atty still works fine! :) So should be safe for normal operation :)

mELIANTE

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Portugal
Well, the atty that I tried to remove that rubber strip died a couple of days ago. Don't know if it's related, but the one I've been using from the beginning (and didn't get that stuff shredded by me) is still going stong. The one that died was being used with menthol only and lasted a little over a week. I'm not doing that again:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread