Why does my vape become hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian Cruz

Nov 23, 2017
Im new to vaping and yesterday i bought my first vape which is a second hand vgod elite set. The guy who i bought it to has already rebuilt the coil so i thought there would be no problem and i even tested it when we met up, it was working fine. When I got home, I tested it again, i put some ejuice in the coil and cotton and started vaping it. But after 2-3 puffs, I start to get dry hits even though there is enough juice in it. Also, the mod, battery, especially the atomizer gets sooo hot. I also noticed that the coil was burnt. I am not familiar with mech mods so I dont know what the problem is. Is it because the ohms of the dual coil is too high for the battery? Is it because of the coil itself? Am i doing something wrong? Should i replace it with new coils? here's a picture of the coil:

If im doing something wrong, please tell and teach me how to vape properly lol. Please help thanks.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Can you tell us what the ohms are? maybe it is not wicked properly. Warm on a mech mod is acceptable. HOT is bad. Lots of things can be going on here. The first thing would be to tell us the resistance in ohms of the atomizer and what battery are you using.

Christian Cruz

Nov 23, 2017
Can you tell us what the ohms are? maybe it is not wicked properly. Warm on a mech mod is acceptable. HOT is bad. Lots of things can be going on here. The first thing would be to tell us the resistance in ohms of the atomizer and what battery are you using.
I dont know what the ohms are, can you tell the best and safest ohms for my vape so i could replace it now? Im using an LG choco battery

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
I dont know what the ohms are, can you tell the best and safest ohms for my vape so i could replace it now? Im using an LG choco battery
You need a way to measure the resistance (ohms) So you will need a multimeter or an ohm meter. Without either of those my suggestion is to not vape it. The safe resistance can be determined depending on the battery that you are using. Can you supply that info please.

Christian Cruz

Nov 23, 2017
You need a way to measure the resistance (ohms) So you will need a multimeter or an ohm meter. Without either of those my suggestion is to not vape it. The safe resistance can be determined depending on the battery that you are using. Can you supply that info please.
18650 LG choco batt

Reactions: stols001

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Do you see it on here? is it the lg HG2?
img_4813-jpg.643937

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
LG HG2 is the battery which according to our "ELECTRON WRANGLER" @Mooch is safely rated at 18 amps. Now without knowing what the resistance is of the atomizer you can easily be drawing more amps than what the cell is rated and can be dangerous. Without being able to know that information I again would say to stop vaping on it.

Christian Cruz

Nov 23, 2017
LG HG2 is the battery which according to our "ELECTRON WRANGLER" @Mooch is safely rated at 18 amps. Now without knowing what the resistance is of the atomizer you can easily be drawing more amps than what the cell is rated and can be dangerous. Without being able to know that information I again would say to stop vaping on it.
What should i do? Could i replace the atomizer/battery/coil?

Reactions: stols001

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
a .2 ohm build with a fresh battery will pull 21 amps which is over what the battery is safely rated for. This is not assuming things like voltage drop etc. But it is a solid determination to use when factoring your safety limits. What if this person put a build at .2 or even lower, that just increases the danger and likely hood that your battery may vent which may not be the most pleasant experience.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
What should i do? Could i replace the atomizer/battery/coil?
You should stop vaping on it till you can measure the resistance of the atomizer with a multimeter or ohm reader. Then you can safely build coils that will be within the safe limit of the battery you have. You can also purchase batteries that have a higher amperage rating which will allow for more flexibility in the resistance of coils you build.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana

hmnm....gonna be tough to troubleshoot anything without another mod, ohm meter, or multimeter. I'd suggest doing some reading up on mech mods, batteries, and how they interact with your atomizer to get the vape you desire. lots of things can go wrong with mech mods if not used correctly. I'd stop using it and get a regulated device until we can get it figured out.

Enoch777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Midwest, USA
I'm with Wraith on this one. You need to know the resistance of the coil before you continue vaping. I would also highly suggest getting better batteries like Sony VTC4 or VTC5s especially since you are using a mechanical mod.

It's like jumping into the deep end of the pool when you've never swam before in your life, you just can't expect to know how to do it safely.

I'm not gonna say you wasted your money cause you didn't, but you've got a lot of reading up to do my friend. You need a solid understanding of the basics. Ohm's Law. Battery Safety. Proper coil building. How to identify issues, especially potential shorts.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
I am not familiar with mech mods so I dont know what the problem is.
By your own admission you don't understand how to use a mech properly. PLEASE take the advice given and set it down until you can do some research. My suggestion is getting a regulated mod to use in the meantime. Always good to have backups anyways. Please stay safe.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You need a regulated mod and to learn how to build coils for that before you get anywhere near a mech mod in my opinion. The questions you are asking don't suggest to me that you know enough to use a mech mod. Don't get me wrong, you absolutely can learn about them fully and you'll find tons of great information. With that said, you should not be vaping what you are and the heat you are reporting concerns me.

PLEASE get a different setup you probably need a backup mod anyway. Put the mech aside, get something more suited to your skill level, and keep that mech for when you are ready to use it. I don't think your friend was doing you any favors, though I'm sure it wasn't on purpose.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread