Why dry burn a CE4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrlw817

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2012
St. Charles, MO
When all it does is burn the crap out of the wick??? I have a CE4 (not a stardust, different design, but can be rebuilt) and have had it a few weeks now. After the first few days the flavor was tasting burnt, so, followed some ways to clean them on YouTube. I followed it, and did a dry burn, 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off until I got the red glow. After that, burnt taste like crazy. Took it back apart and saw the wick where it goes across the coils burnt to a crisp. I am buying the 5 pack replacement atty and wick, and not going to ever do this dry burn thing again, to me, it's not worth the trouble.

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I'm wondering if we are supposed to re-rinse after the dry burn in case there are burnt bits down in there? When I do the dry burn to get the crud off, then rinse, they are like new again. Are yours cotton wicks? Mine probably are not cotton. Maybe cotton wicks are not supposed to be dry-burned. Just a thought.

exodus454

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
Western Connecticut
Some wicks will actually burn. You should see the area around the coil get white/light grey after a dry burn, if it stays black right close to the coil then the wick itself might be burnt. I don't have experience with the exact ones you're talking about but I usually do a post dry burn rinse just to make sure everything is out of there.

hrlw817

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2012
St. Charles, MO
I'm wondering if we are supposed to re-rinse after the dry burn in case there are burnt bits down in there? When I do the dry burn to get the crud off, then rinse, they are like new again. Are yours cotton wicks? Mine probably are not cotton. Maybe cotton wicks are not supposed to be dry-burned. Just a thought.

Off topic: Love the cat avatar! Looks just like my black cat!!

I would think mine are cotton wicks, and I would tend to agree, not to dry burn cotton wicks.

hrlw817

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2012
St. Charles, MO
Some wicks will actually burn. You should see the area around the coil get white/light grey after a dry burn, if it stays black right close to the coil then the wick itself might be burnt. I don't have experience with the exact ones you're talking about but I usually do a post dry burn rinse just to make sure everything is out of there.

I didn't see any white or gray around the coil, just nasty black as coal burnt spot on the wick.

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
hrlw817 off topic, my cat Annie's 2nd favorite spot (my lap being her first fav)...sits on the desktop staring at my computer screen mesmorized as if she was reading everything I type LOL

But, yeah, now I have many different vendor's brands of clearomizers, some have been going great for months, others get a burnt taste after a couple cleanings/dry burns...so I've tossed those :( Trouble is, I don't remember if it was one vendor's brand in particular, or if occasionally they all have a lemon in the batch, so to speak

hrlw817

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2012
St. Charles, MO
hrlw817 off topic, my cat Annie's 2nd favorite spot (my lap being her first fav)...sits on the desktop staring at my computer screen mesmorized as if she was reading everything I type LOL

But, yeah, now I have many different vendor's brands of clearomizers, some have been going great for months, others get a burnt taste after a couple cleanings/dry burns...so I've tossed those :( Trouble is, I don't remember if it was one vendor's brand in particular, or if occasionally they all have a lemon in the batch, so to speak

My black cat, Leo, is 10 years old, I got him as a rescue when he was a year old, and he loves being anyplace I am.

This is my second clearo and it works great, just burnt the wick a little, and the first one I had for 3 days and dropped it at work on concrete and cracked it, so not sure how well it would have continued to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread