Why eliquid should be kept under lock and key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
I had this discussion with my brother in law today, and I thought it might be important to reiterate for any new vapers how dangerous juice can be.

I tried a few cheap auto brands of ecigarettes before, but didn't really get into it and find a worthwhile kit until this past april. Within a few weeks I had converted my father in law, and he managed to convert my brother in law. Our house is now completely smoke free.

However I had noticed the past few days that my brother in law leaves his bottle of ejuice on the end table in the living room.

Now. Here's the problem.

He has a one year old son whose just learning how to walk.

It's a disaster waiting to happen.

My brother in law is a stubborn sort of guy who thinks his way is the right way and is opposed to change. He only got a debit card within the last year and still doesn't trust direct deposit, if that is any indication of his particular mentality. When I mentioned before that he should put his juice in a safe place, he shrugged at me.

So today I did the research, and then did the math.

He has a single 10ml bottle of 18mg juice.
What do those mgs mean, precisely? It means you have 18mg of nicotine per ml of fluid, according to the kind folks here at ECF. So that means he has 180mg of nicotine in that more-or-less full bottle of turkish blend.

Ok, so. How much nicotine is lethal? According to this, it's approximately 60mg for a non smoker, double that for a smoker, and 10mg in children.

Ok, so. since there's approximately 20 drops in a ml, that means that about 10 or 11 drops is probably enough to kill a child. And probably LESS THAN THAT for a toddler.

And he doesn't even have to swallow it. All he has to do is get some on his skin to get sick.

I think I have managed to convince him with simple mathematics that he needs to at the very lease put his bottle of juice on a high shelf somewhere. Me? I got a simple locking box in the office supply section at walmart for about $12 and keep my juice locked up unless I'm right next to it. Granted, this box won't stop a determined adult (but if they want to break into my stash, drink my 24mg bottles of juice and then die... well that's natural selection for you) but it's certainly enough to keep curious babies and hungry beagles out of it.

So please, pretty please. Invest in a way to keep your ejuice out of reach of your young children and pets. A little spilled on a vaper's hands won't even phase them, but WASH THOROUGHLY before handling your children and pets. Take off any jewelry that your oily VGs might adhere to/pool inside of. It would even be best to wear gloves. Protect your work surface with a few paper towels at the very least.

I'm sure many, many vapers quit the analogs in part because they're worried about the effects of cigarette smoking on their loved ones. Let's not expose them to new dangers.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
I think you need to smack your BIL upside his head. Did the information you provided him scare him into thinking twice about leaving the bottle down for the little one to get ahold of? I hope so. My daughter is grown but still won't mess with any of my vaping gear unless she's right there with me. She never smoked/chewed but once in awhile, she'll grab a PV and take a small puff just to see what it tastes like. She does it at the sink and then immediately spits into it and washes her mouth out. However, she's 22 and knows what nic does. The little one in your house doesn't! Get on your BIL's backside and don't get off of it until he fully understands the dangers it imposes.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Not really news to most of us here but good for you.

Toddlers and pets are the obvious potential victims but don't forget the older ones, especially those with Underdeveloped Frontal Lobe Syndrome, you know, the indestructible, invincible, saw it on youtube young adult. Maybe not even yours, but a guest, maybe when you aren't home (parents are away, it's party time).

Just how deadly do you think nic juice in an energy drink would be? and don't think it won't happen. Nic and caffeine, or Nic, caffeine and alcohol.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
>>Not really news to most of us here but good for you.

Wasn't really news to me, either, but like I said, new vapers may not understand how SRSBSNS this stuff is even in tiny quantities.

>>Frontal Lobe Syndrome, you know, the indestructible, invincible, saw it on youtube young adult. Maybe not even yours, but a guest, maybe when you aren't home (parents are away, it's party time).

Natural selection, baby. I don't have any kids to worry about and any teenagers who happen in and out are generally well supervised, and if they aren't they'll most likely be looking for the impressive array of prescriptions my father in law has rather than this defunct nasty lemon blue berry cotton candy crap i have sitting in here.

WindLvr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2011
Erie, PA
I also keep my extra personal vaporizers under lock and key. I caught my eleven year old nephew taking a puff because I was vaping something that smelled like his favorite candy in the world! I was at my sister's house. All I did was get up to use the restroom. In the time I got up, all the smoker's when out on the front porch for their analog fix, and my nephew got caught red handed. He didn't understand the harm he was causing himself. The worst part is he loved it, and now wants one of his own!!! It is still nicotine, it is still illegal for minors, and it should be treated as such. I am glad someone else posted this to help bring awareness. Little kids will get into everything and anything at a very young age. At a curious age when his friends are trying to get him to smoke weed and cigarettes with them he felt it would do no harm because I quit smoking using this as an alternative. He honestly thought it was healthy, and I had a talk with him. Even after our talk he asked his mother to buy him one. Now my sister is ...... at me to no end!!! I did not expect the room to empty just for me to use the restroom, but that was all it took. So how do we tell children that even tho we do it, it is still dangerous for them???? Communication. My daughter is curious, but still wants me to quit vaping. She is glad I quit smoking analogs, but she says it's been a year now and it is time to move on from this thing too.

Just thought this was an appropriate place to share my little incident and story here as well. Keep track of your devices and your juices. You never know when there will be a child lurking about that is just curious enough....:rules:

jch419

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
OH USA
www.smokerevolt.com
Babies and kids are swift too....you have to literally grow eyes in the back of your head-for me, it is not just a saying but a way of life . Always be over-cautious of everything, treat E-Juice just like you would kitchen chemicals etc., keep them up high and or locked, make sure the juice you purchase arrives in a child-proof cap too, which is a major plus. And watch those precious little babies, they are more crafty than people guess! :)

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
I also keep my extra personal vaporizers under lock and key. I caught my eleven year old nephew taking a puff because I was vaping something that smelled like his favorite candy in the world! I was at my sister's house. All I did was get up to use the restroom. In the time I got up, all the smoker's when out on the front porch for their analog fix, and my nephew got caught red handed. He didn't understand the harm he was causing himself. The worst part is he loved it, and now wants one of his own!!! It is still nicotine, it is still illegal for minors, and it should be treated as such. I am glad someone else posted this to help bring awareness. Little kids will get into everything and anything at a very young age. At a curious age when his friends are trying to get him to smoke weed and cigarettes with them he felt it would do no harm because I quit smoking using this as an alternative. He honestly thought it was healthy, and I had a talk with him. Even after our talk he asked his mother to buy him one. Now my sister is ...... at me to no end!!! I did not expect the room to empty just for me to use the restroom, but that was all it took. So how do we tell children that even tho we do it, it is still dangerous for them???? Communication. My daughter is curious, but still wants me to quit vaping. She is glad I quit smoking analogs, but she says it's been a year now and it is time to move on from this thing too.

Just thought this was an appropriate place to share my little incident and story here as well. Keep track of your devices and your juices. You never know when there will be a child lurking about that is just curious enough....:rules:

I hear you,,,it's a difficult concept. I told my children when they were small that there are some things that are for adults only because children's bodies--and brains--were not done growing yet. Some things are just ADULT and should never be for children, no matter how harmless they might be for adults,,,,

like drinking
staying up all night
voting
driving
and vaping.

Orobas

Equine Disrespect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Jarhead City
>>I don't have a debit card, don't want one .. yet, I don't feel I'm living in the Dark Ages ..

And that's fine. Sometimes i regret ever getting one because it makes it just too damn easy to spend all my money anymore, lol. What I was trying to indicate was that it was phenomenal that we managed to get someone who hates anything and everything newfangled to switch to a PV anyway, and how difficult it was for him to understand that juice can't be left laying around like cigarettes. Most babies wouldn't find a cigarette yummy enough to eat enough of them to poison themselves, but juice is a different story.

>>but I DO HAVE a pug who will eat ANYTHING!!!!!

oh yeah, beagles and pugs are always ready to eat ANYWAY... our beagle has cushings from the steroids she takes for asthma, so she literally thinks she's starving to death. Seriously, she sits under the bug zapper to wait for a snack... she knocked over the composter to root through it. Never underestimate a dog's cunning!

Anything that smells oh so yummy to us is going to smell oh so yummy to them, as well.

On top of keeping our loved ones, human or otherwise, save from our poisons, the last thing we need are a few incidents like this. Aside from the obvious tragedy of babies, puppies, or lowbrow relatives getting sick from ejuice, all we need are a few news stories like that for our favorite tasty ejuices to end up going the way of Camel Exotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread