Why is lower ohm rating for coils desirable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
I have been reading about RBAs and it seems like the lower the ohm rating the better, even as low as under 1 ohm.

What is the advantage of having a lower ohm rating for coils? I understand that lower ohms means that less voltage is necessary, so is this to be able to extend battery life?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
I understand that lower ohms means that less voltage is necessary, so is this to be able to extend battery life?
I can answer just one part of your question as I'm a noob also.

Lower Ohm actually eats through your battery really fast. An less volt is necessary is false.

I myself enjoy 1.5Ohm to 1.8Ohm on 30g kanthal.

Cheers

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
There are a couple things happening at low Ohms, the lower the ohm coil the faster it heats up. What that means is vapor almost instantly when firing the mod. As apposed to the 2+ seconds it takes to get a high Ohms coil up to atomizing temps. The low ohm coils stay at a higher temp even though the juice is trying to cool it, this often causes the vape to be warm to hot and a higher chance to burn if not wicked properly. I like a slightly warm vape, so I first blow into my RBA, RDA or what have you. I blow in for a second or 2 then I inhale. I get more vapor that way and its warm rite at the mid through end of the vape. I usually stay at 1.2 1.5 ohms for gen. vaping, on my RDAs I go to .7 .8. I have vaped at .3 ohms and it was to hot and to much vapor in my congested lungs rite now. Maybe one day Ill be able to hit those big pulls, but for now I'm content to chuck the nice clouds I get doing it my way, There not massive but they are pretty good. IMO

Last edited:

1ne2woBe

Apr 18, 2014
United States
Such great, honest, and thorough answers provided within this thread! I personally choose to vape at .8ohm to 1ohm for warmth and flavor within my Kayfuns.

I have enough batteries charged and ready to go within a moment's chance when at home, or just coming home from work. So I prepare myself in order to not be stuck with cold(er) vapes and no battery to replace with.

I choose my specific 'taste' in OHMs for the flavor and cloud production I personally want to achieve. Different juice flavors taste differently within the heat provided.

IMO... If you're happy with what you've got, stick with it. Dabble a bit with lower OHMs (safely) to learn and try new things if you wish. But honestly, nothing beats a nice warm vape with your favorite flavor when starting your work day. MMmmMMM LOL

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
In my experience there is a dead zone on heat up time depending on the ohms and gauge of wire. Lower ohms is generally for mechs. With a vv you can adjust the voltage up to 6, so higher ohms will work better due to amp limits. Thicker wire heats slower unless your low enough on ohms in mech to power it with enough watts.

Lower ohms will run te battery down faster regardless of mech or vv.

On a vv I find a 32 g at over 2.4 (2.5-3.2) to heat fastest with a 3 second pull offering a satisfying amount of vapor. If your interested I have some posts archived in my blog on the subject of power heat up time and vv ohms.

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Sub ohm is desirable for people wanting more performance (more vapor, hotter vape, etc).

However, the low ohm rating is not what creates this better performance... that would be power aka wattage. Power is the output. The input is voltage. Ohms is resistance. We lower the resistance to increase power without having to have a chipset modify the input voltage. The downside to this is the amp draw. Going sub ohm increases the amp draw so you need to be sure to have an appropriate battery that can handle the amp draw.

With the newer vape technology you don't have to go sub ohm to get the same results. With a variable wattage device capable of going up to 100 watts the possibilities are endless. You can build bigger coils without worrying about keeping it sub ohm as you can directly control the power output. It will even do it safer...

(The following is just an example based solely on numbers without calculating voltage drop, resistance drift, etc.)

Let's set a goal for a 70 watt vape.

Mechanical mod: Fully charged battery (4.2 volts) with a sub ohm 0.25 coil will produce 70.56 watts while having an amp draw of 16.8 amps.

Variable Wattage: Fully charged device set to 70 watts with a 1.5 ohm coil will have the device input at around 10.24 volts and only have an amp draw of about 6.82 amps.

The lower the current (amp draw) means there is less stress on the battery.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
There is always Nichrome wire to throw into the mix as well. Nichrome heats faster then kanthal. I use Nichrome 60 wire on some builds. I find its just a little better on battery time how much ? don't know never actually tried testing, but I do get a little longer vape time. There is an issue with Nichrome wire though leaving a burnt taste if you stay in the fire button to long. I have found I can take shorter hits with close to the same vapor production as I get on longer Kanthal wire hits. Try it out could be just me, I'm old and my brain doesn't comprehend comparative things as well anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread