Why lower ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Good question, and no true single answer to your question. I believe it comes down to personal preferences.

Before high wattage regulated mods were available, the only way to get a LOT of vapor was with a mechanical mod using homemade sub-ohm coils. These people were nick-named cloud chasers. Some would also claim that they got more flavor at this higher wattage. And some just preferred the warmer vape. Lower resistance coils heat up faster (almost instantaneous), so you don't have to press the fire button as long.

Now that high wattage mods are on the market, there is not the need to use the mech and sub-ohm coil builds. Certainly, with their built-in protection circuitry the use of a regulated mod is a safer way to go than the mechanical route.

Personally the real low sub-ohms are too warm for my tastes. I've always preferred more of a cooler vape. I like 0.6 ohm on my drippers, and 1.5 ohm on my Kayfun. 2 - 3 ohm in a cartotank on an ordinary regulated mod (Provari).

Last edited:
You're not going to notice much difference using a regulated mod. Low ohms is more noticeable in mech mods where one of the few ways to "customize" your vape was by adjusting your ohms accordingly. I have the sig150 as well...and I believe it vapes better a little higher in the resistance personally. I do vape .1 sometimes, but generally stay between .5 to 1 ohms in my RDAs and 1-1.8 on my tanks. Plenty of vapor and flavor- no need to go that low on a regulated device like your Sig.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
^ succinctly putBaditude.

This also ties in with ramp up time on the coil.
To get low resistance you need thick wire which means more metal, which takes longer to heat up and cool down. With a regulated mod, you can use a higher resistance coil (usually with a thinner wire), with greater surface area (more wraps), and push as much wattage as is required to get the desired heat and ramp up time. Though having said that, I'm a unclear why some people also use sub-ohm coils with a high powered VV/VW mod?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
^ succinctly putBaditude.

This also ties in with ramp up time on the coil.
To get low resistance you need thick wire which means more metal, which takes longer to heat up and cool down. With a regulated mod, you can use a higher resistance coil (usually with a thinner wire), with greater surface area (more wraps), and push as much wattage as is required to get the desired heat and ramp up time. Though having said that, I'm a unclear why some people also use sub-ohm coils with a high powered VV/VW mod?

This, also the inversion, if you want more coil surface area, you can use lower gauge(thicker) wire, or multiple wires, which in turn lowers the resistance. Sometimes the lower resistance is a side effect, not the intended result.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Good question, and no true single answer to your question. I believe it comes down to personal preferences.

Before high wattage regulated mods were available, the only way to get a LOT of vapor was with a mechanical mod using homemade sub-ohm coils. These people were nick-named cloud chasers. Some would claim that they got more flavor at this higher wattage. And some just preferred the warmer vape.

Now that high wattage mods are on the market, there is not the need to use the mech and sub-ohm coil builds. Certainly, the use of a regulated mod is a safer way to go than the mechanical route.

^^^ This.

And me personally, with the introduction of high watt mods I've found that I actually prefer higher ohm coils at higher wattage than a subohm coil. For example, I run my Nautilus with a 1.6ohm coil at 19 watts, and I've run many 1.4-1.8 ohm builds on my Kayfuns at more than 20 watts.

Subohm builds are great for converting a lot of liquid to a lot of vapor really fast with extremely high heat, but with a high watt mod you can produce just as much vapor from a larger coil without needing to get it quite as hot.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Back in the day, 2.0ohms was considered SR (standard resistance) and 1.5ohms was considered LR (low resistance). When people started going below 1.5ohms it was considered SLR (super lower resistance), but with the popularity of sub-ohming (below 1.0ohms) the scales have shifted and I think people now consider sub-ohming to be the new low resistance.

I don’t sub-ohm – the lowest that I go is a dual coil build on an RDA at 1.0ohms. The lower the resistance, the hotter the vape, and the bigger the clouds (although coil height and airflow do play a role in both). Although I do have a Provari and a 30W box mod, I mostly use mechanicals and prefer the taste and vape of a “low resistance” 1.3ohm single coil on RBAs. Personally, I feel that higher wattage vaping diminishes the flavor and burns through juice too quickly, and I don’t really need to blow more vapor than the amount of smoke that I exhaled as a smoker, but I know that others feel differently, and more power to them (pun intended).

As Baditude eluded too, with higher wattage devices now available and becoming so popular, I would think that higher resistance coils covering more surface area of wicks would be more desirable, but it’s not really my thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread