Why the switch to 80 + watts over the old low 8 watts standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
th

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    I wanna know cus I missed the E-cig News on the topic. Why when you used to use a variable voltage mod that had a max of 8 watts or the vape would get too hot did they decide they needed ecigs that worked on 80 plus watts?

WHY? Whats the rational behind the change? - Don't you think it's Overkill to crank up the watts needlessly? .. and now these garbage ecigs that seek to choke you are all you can find..

Someone explain all the details on who did this and why please.. leave nothing out. Thanks.
    You should watch a review on the new smok TFV16! :D

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
    While I agree I do believe sheer laziness to actually absorb and learn about mech usage is at the forefront concerning safety habits. The information is out there in abundance but how many have we seen that refuse to accept anything but the answer they want to hear.

"I don't need to know Ohm's suggestion, I have a Smok gx350, and vape octa-coils just fine with my 4 mis-matched Chinese batteries. At least two of them are rated at 160A, and the chip will sort everything out for me."

dom qp

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2015
    South Central... Ontario
    What? :blink:

Using an Ohm's Law calculator, a 0.25 ohm coil with a fully charged battery (4.2 volts) is 70.6 watts, and has a 16.8 amp draw.

With a 0.2 ohm coil, that's 88.2 watts and a 21 amp draw. If you are using a 30 amp battery, you're within the safe operating limits of that battery. So I don't understand your math or your statement, unless that is just your personal cutoff limit in coil resistance.

I consider not knowing what you just wrote, that is how to calculate amp and wattage draw based on resistance and battery voltage, a safety hazard in general.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 12, 2011
    New Orleans
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hey.. Listen Up .. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- ---> I was hoping this thread would die but.. I was a grumpy old fart in this post earlier but I have a new thought on the subject that I'd like addressed.. Mind you I am not Grumpy so all's good.

I notice something.. there is a trend to go up.. Way up past 85 watts for vaping off a metal coil I hear of 300 watt devices and This Terrifies me. The higher the wattage the more Parts Per Million of chemicals you create/release within the gas we call air that is already present. Is getting past a certain wattage a certain chemical density actually harmful to the body in the long run ?

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 12, 2011
    New Orleans
    Wattage isn't directly correlated to heat. The size of the coil plays a roll. It takes far more wattage to get modern art hot than a simple round wire. Also, when I vape @230, I use TC.

I assume the heat will max out at some point due to the limitations of the wire and grow to a certain area of radiation where which will be it's upper limit. The concern is the problems when you keep increasing that ( with any given coil size) .

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 12, 2011
    New Orleans
    In pure wattage mode, it could, but evaporative cooling is the answer. The more air flow, and thus, vapor produced, the cooler the coil gets. IMHO, MTL or restricted DL gets hotter then wide open air flow.

O.k. but the bigger the coil the more surface area so still there is going to be more vapor produced, PPM right? So.. whats a safe Max do you think people should concentrate on not passing?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread