Why the switch to 80 + watts over the old low 8 watts standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Phoenix II

Moved On
Jun 12, 2019
I wanna know cus I missed the E-cig News on the topic. Why when you used to use a variable voltage mod that had a max of 8 watts or the vape would get too hot did they decide they needed ecigs that worked on 80 plus watts?

WHY? Whats the rational behind the change? - Don't you think it's Overkill to crank up the watts needlessly? .. and now these garbage ecigs that seek to choke you are all you can find..

Someone explain all the details on who did this and why please.. leave nothing out. Thanks.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
For myself mtl frustrated me and was about to give on vaping when I learned about dl, the STM literally is the sole reason I was able to quit. I don’t vape at 80w but for the draw I prefer 8w would never have satisfied me. Subjectivity is a beautiful interesting thing in my eyes and will always be grateful for those that push the boundaries. The vaping forums would bore me to tears if we all shared the same vape style. I would not have joined any of them if that were the case.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I get that some people want a choice.. but why then Take Away the other choices? It seems they are forcing ecigs on people that give way too much vape and that cannot be healthy. 8 watts was rough enough and it was enough yes because VG makes the clouds not the wattage. They should have regulated down in wattage if anything not up! - But WHY take away my preferred Choice? Thats what I don't understand. Someone or some group has pushed for this and it's not for our benefit they did so.
I don't think it takes away your choice. Most of those mods can be turned down to 5 watts or so. It's kinda like driving a fast car. Just because it can go 150 mph doesn't mean you have to.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I get that some people want a choice.. but why then Take Away the other choices? It seems they are forcing ecigs on people that give way too much vape and that cannot be healthy. 8 watts was rough enough and it was enough yes because VG makes the clouds not the wattage. They should have regulated down in wattage if anything not up! - But WHY take away my preferred Choice? Thats what I don't understand. Someone or some group has pushed for this and it's not for our benefit they did so.
I don’t understand how you think your choices were taken away. There are many small low wattage devices available, you can even still find the 10W and 20w eleaf isticks.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
With ALL due respect ... your preferred CHOICE for vaping exists in tons of mods and atty's.

People who vape WANT options... many options. I do and I can very confidently state most if not everyone here does too. I don't vape high wattages but I know many who do ... and I have never had any issue with that. Never even thought about it. Why do you???

The people who pushed for big cloud options are YOUR fellow vapers. That's not rocket science...it is truth. Many are ECF members. Fact. They wanted OPTIONS to suit their style of vaping. That is AWESOME in my opinion.

What is the problem with satisfying the needs of your fellow vapers???
Why are you trying to force an 8 watt vaping limit on all???
I do not understand your thinking.

Can you please tell us WHO took your CHOICE away??? I am not understanding where you are coming from and I do suspect others don't either. No one took your choice away. :confused:

I can go to any online vape shop, as well as local shops, AND find your preferred choice within minutes. Why can't you???

Help us understand why YOU are so against anyone who chooses, by their own right, to vape 80+ watts (seeing as you picked that #). I see no problem. Options are a big win for ALL.

Cheers!!! ;)

100%!

Every so often, it seems we get someone who goes off the deep end because some company has the unmitigated gall to make vape gear they don’t like!

Some months back, one person went on a rant about purple and rainbow. How dare they make girlie gear!!! It’s not like women vape or something!

How hard is it, really, for some people to live and let live? If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s just that simple.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I started vaping in 2010 with a Joye eGo and a Joye 510, so MTL was the only option. All I ever wanted to do was recreate the sensation of smoking without the tobacco smoke and all the dangerous chemicals and carcinogens.

Back then, there were few options. It was mostly 510 and 808 cig-a-likes. 10 years later I have a box full of various mods and atomizers that cover everything from cig-a-likes to cloud machines up to 200W, but still vape them all at 8 to 15 watts in MTL mode because that's my comfort zone. If an atty won't vape at 10W it sits in the box.

Lots of vapers like DTL and I understand that more juice atomized equals more flavor and vapor. I'm still happy with something that recreates the act of smoking a cigarette.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Whats the rational behind the change?
Cloudz, bro!

Seriously: The amount of power required depends on the atomizer and the coil/wick in it. Some of the atomizers people use these days wouldn't make any vapor at all with just 8 watts of power.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio

How is that taking away your choice? They’re variable. Turn the watts down.

John Phoenix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
New Orleans
Yep.. I'm Back.. Here's Johnny ! (Thanks Classwife!!)

1) I wish to thank everyone who replied to this and my other thread under the JP II account. This is my original account that I'll be sticking with.

2) I wish to apologize to everyone for my extreme Grumpiness in both posts.

3) I got it sorted out. I'm now rocking the Aspire Nautilus (original silver version) on top of the Eleaf iStick Pico 25 with Freedomsmoke USA's Wyatt Earp. The 1.6 ohm atomizers work out to be about 3 dollars each when I buy a 5 pack so that's not too bad. I do really like the iStick as a mod for all it's bells and whistles.

Again Thanks. I'll endeavor to control my grumpiness.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
Please tell us you're a big burly man with a neck beard.
I do have a beard. A big one, too, with no mustache. If I don't lift my head up pretty far, then you can't tell whether I shave my neck. I'm 5' 3", 170lb, and I don't think anyone has ever referred to me as "burly".

I like purple. Fuschia, too.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
With ALL due respect ... your preferred CHOICE for vaping exists in tons of mods and atty's.

People who vape WANT options... many options. I do and I can very confidently state most if not everyone here does too. I don't vape high wattages but I know many who do ... and I have never had any issue with that. Never even thought about it. Why do you???

The people who pushed for big cloud options are YOUR fellow vapers. That's not rocket science...it is truth. Many are ECF members. Fact. They wanted OPTIONS to suit their style of vaping. That is AWESOME in my opinion.

What is the problem with satisfying the needs of your fellow vapers???
Why are you trying to force an 8 watt vaping limit on all???
I do not understand your thinking.

Can you please tell us WHO took your CHOICE away??? I am not understanding where you are coming from and I do suspect others don't either. No one took your choice away. :confused:

I can go to any online vape shop, as well as local shops, AND find your preferred choice within minutes. Why can't you???

Help us understand why YOU are so against anyone who chooses, by their own right, to vape 80+ watts (seeing as you picked that #). I see no problem. Options are a big win for ALL.

Cheers!!! ;)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Why when you used to use a variable voltage mod that had a max of 8 watts or the vape would get too hot did they decide they needed ecigs that worked on 80 plus watts?

WHY? Whats the rational behind the change?

Someone explain all the details on who did this and why please.. leave nothing out. Thanks.
The why part is BECAUSE WE CAN. :)

The electronic cigarette industry has always been driven by electrical power and batteries. In 2010 we only had tiny lipo stick batteries, or ciga-likes. In our ever searching quest for more powerful and longer lasting batteries, we went to protected 18650 ICR batteries, which had about 4 amp of current. In around 2012, AW came out with the unprotected, high drain IMR 18650 batteries which had 10 amps of power. Our battery devices and juice attachments have always been limited by the batteries and power sources available at the time.

Thanks to improvements in battery technology over the last 10 years, today we have 30 amp batteries. E-cigarettes have always been about re-creating the smoking experience, and the single limitation to that has always been batteries.

We probably have gone beyond the realm of simulating the cigarette smoking experience to a new level of high voltage/high wattage vaping. The recent trend has been higher power battery devices to make larger volumes of vapor. Even if we aren't interested in huge volumes of vaper, all that additional power can be saved in reserve to increase the available time we have to vape before we need to recharge our batteries. So its a win-win situation for everyone.

I began vaping in 2012. An unregulated mech mod (Silver Bullet) and a 3.0 ohm cartomizer, and then a Provari at 5 volts. At some point over the years my vaping preferences changed. I now vape a 0.5 ohm clearomizer at 30 watts which is my current "sweet spot". If I tried to go back to the Provari and a 3.0 ohm mouth-to-lung atomizer I would be highly disappointed in the performance.

Here's a fitting anology. Your car's speedometer probably goes to at least 120 mph, but I bet your rarely drive it over 70 mph. My regulated mod goes to 75 watts, but I've never fired it over 40 watts.

You can still find those "old school" type vape setups that you are familiar with if you look hard enough. They might be called something different now. There's still plenty of vapers who vape that way, too.

Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

So what IS high voltage vaping all about? (Everything you've wanted to know plus a bit of electronic theory)

Last edited:

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I think the OP has a point to a degree, particularly about vape shops. I also walked into a high street shop after being away from the 'scene' for a bit. It's not that they sell higher wattage devices etc, that got me, it was the attitude that today's products are normal, and to be pushed on the customer.

Try finding 70/30 pg/vg juice. Nowadays 50/50 is considered thin. Try finding a mtl tank, try finding a narrow bore drip tip. Nowt wrong with what's on sale but it's not always what an experienced vaper wants and that kind of vaper can be met with some resistance when expressing their needs. In my experience anyway. Even pods and starter kits can be sub ohm and wide bore, which may not be what is desired.

The high street is pretty pants for vape gear in my experience. They have limited stock and will push what they have often, again in my experience, over selling a product to get the sale. I have no qualms describing some, not all, of the staff in these places as charlatans.

That said here I sit vaping on my Colossal 80w at 11.5w, using a Samsung 15a battery, and 1.5ohm coil in a Berserker with narrow bore drip tip. I didn't get any of it on the high street though.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
I think it's fine that there is a trend toward vaping that involves smaller clouds, MTL devices, if it means vaping becomes more popular, smoking less so. Colors too if it draws a larger percentage of people who will try vaping over the S word. I am of the 'whatever works' mindset, and vaping can really work to give up the death sticks.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

DNA 250C board:

Max = 400 watts (depending on the amount of cells used)
Min = 1 watt.

Seems to me low wattage vaping was not removed but expanded upon to allow a much wider range of usage. Now think of the run time a 3 cell device would get if operating at <8 watts

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

You could get a Kanger Pro Tank II that can use 1.8ohm, 2.2ohm, and 2.5ohm coil heads. It would run fine at 8W. Or less. I'm sure there are others, that's the only one I'm familiar with.

They didn't take away your choice, it's still available. They just added some new options for people who wanted them. There are members on ECF who vape in the range you prefer. I vape at 10 or 12 W.

Genuine Kanger™ Protank 2 Glassomizer

Coils

Kanger™ ProTank, eVod and Unitank Replacement Coils - MT32 (5 pack)

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I wanna know cus I missed the E-cig News on the topic. Why when you used to use a variable voltage mod that had a max of 8 watts or the vape would get too hot did they decide they needed ecigs that worked on 80 plus watts?

WHY? Whats the rational behind the change? - Don't you think it's Overkill to crank up the watts needlessly? .. and now these garbage ecigs that seek to choke you are all you can find..

I completely thought the same thing about this time a year ago. I tried vaping in 2009 because I thought it was a nifty idea. Smoking had just been banned in restaraunts in my state so I would vape a cig-a-like. But they were horrible back then so I stopped.

Mid 2018 I decided it was time to try it again. It was like living the scene in Shawshank Redemption where the guy went to jail when American cities had horse n buggy in a sleepy town atmosphere and got out getting out after things became crowded city full of cars. Oh my.

Dual coil 18650's in a box the size of an electric pencil sharpener with a fish bowl tank on top that had what looked like a garden hose for a vape port. And a fire button? What's that all about?

Travelling vape shop to vape shop I saw head shops disguised as tobacco stores, or tobacco stores that sold now very expensive disposable even junkier cig-a-likes. Row after row of giant boxes, some with speakers and clocks. And sketchy batteries? You betcha. No wonder these things explode I thought.

I joined CPF and learned that vaping had an entire language. Drip tip? That don't sound leak free to me. But I learned enough of the lingo to tell the kid with frisbees in his ear lobes to tell the tat covered girl whose face looked like it survived the blast of shot gun shell loaded with items from a charm bracelet that I do not want sub-ohm, I do not want to look like I'm on fire everytime as I exhale, I do not want cotton candy bubble gum e-juice nor do I want to build my own atomizer kit.

I want a nice tastey drag from a device that mimics a cigarette. I'd hear "why not?" or "awe man we don't carry those".

Meanwhile the Juul was becoming the newest scurge to harm the children according to so-called conventional wisdom by germ-phobic helicopter parents and politicians whoring for votes.

Ugh!!! Bring back the old days… please? Nope, vaping had become big business and juice guzzlers mean big volume sales of the profitable e-juice. I found in time there were some of us left. Innokin hired a couple of old school vapers to market their old school esque devices like Zenith tanks and Kroma boxes. They sold millions.

Meanwhile the new phenomenon was begining to gain traction. Pods. There are literally hundreds of types and the number grows every 30 minutes. Even the companies who were all in on devices that can jump start a riding lawn mower are making what they call pods. Available between super simple pens the size of a double a battery to Juul looking numbers with temperature control, to read out screens and replaceable coil packs. Flashdrives and zippo lighter styles.

Gone is the sketchy auto draw and cartridges that pop. Joyetech has brought back the inkpen sized e-rolle too. Hang in there John II. Things are coming back around, only better technology is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread