Why would anyone vape max PG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
My diet sucks. It always has. But I always had good Lipids (cholesterol) test results...
This last go around, my triglycerides were thru the roof! Lab said they weren't able to get an LDL computation because they were so high. Doctor immediately told me to go on a low fat diet, and put me on Lipitor. Now, I do not like taking the stuff, but I went along, for the moment.
Doing some reading led me to the Triglycerides definition:
"an ester formed from glycerol and three fatty acid groups. Triglycerides are the main constituents of natural fats and oils, and high concentrations in the blood indicate an elevated risk of stroke."
Now, for those uninitiated, Glycerol is just another name for Glycerin.
"Glycerol (/ˈɡlɪsərɒl/;[5] also called glycerine or glycerin; see spelling differences) is a simple polyol compound. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous liquid that is sweet-tasting and non-toxic. The glycerol backbone is found in all lipids known as triglycerides. It is widely used in the food industry as a sweetener and humectant and in pharmaceutical formulations. Glycerol has three hydroxyl groups that are responsible for its solubility in water and its hygroscopic nature"

Yep, the VG in my juice seems to be throwing off my Triglycerides test! My latest test after vaping all PG has come back normal!
There is, of course, the possibility that 1 month of Lipitor has miraculously lowered the level back to normal, but others I know have used for years with much less result. I am vaping all PG mix currently, and next 2 tests will shed more light, as I will control for VG use on a later test, and see if TG level jumps...
Mayo Clinic site, I believe it was, had a mention of a Glycerol compensated TG test. I am going to look into this further, if possible.
Just an FYI. Beware of 'outlier' test results if you vape.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
I have had my cholesterol levels checked regurlarly for the last 5 years due to a heart condition. Vaping high VG liquids has made no discernable difference to the results. I've abstained from vaping prior to tests and i've vaped minutes before a test in the past (mainly due to reading similar posts as yours before).
Taking statins reduced my levels and cutting out most saturated fat from my diet has helped also. I believe the biggest contribution to my lower cholesterol readings has been my 5x increase in exercise and giving up smoking.

Will follow this thread as genuinely interested in your results.....:)

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I've had my lipids checked twice since vaping. Both times all my numbers are great.
Roommate doesn't vape, smokes. His triglycerides are through the roof and even on Fenofibrate they went up.

Friends went vegan because wife tested high. After going vegan husband's cholesterol went up.
Roommate had C6/C5/C4 fused. A few months later I had C7/C5/C6 fused. (No they were not from related accidents.)
I vape 90% VG because I can't handle more than 10% PG from flavorings. Should I try to get everyone vaping 90% VG because that's what works for me?
Come to think of it when I quit smoking I was diagnosed with Crohn's. OMG! Nobody should quit smoking.
Moral of the story, we are individuals with individual genetics dictating what is good or bad for us. One size does not fit all.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
If you guys think I am attacking vaping or VG use, you have the wrong idea!
If you read about lipids panel in any depth, you will learn about blanking assays which can be performed to adjust to elevated Glycerol levels in serum. Some laboratory facilities do this routinely, others require a special order, and some cannot do it at all.
I am not at all trying to discourage anyone from vaping, I am a member here, and a vaper. I am not a proponent of VG, nor am I a detractor of VG. Simply calling them as they are. The problem isn't with VG, it's a POTENTIAL problem with the testing methods! Just letting everyone know to inform their Dr. that they vape VG, so if results are 'outliers' they can be questioned! It's that simple. No 'scare' story from me.
>>Here is a paper detailing the effects on someone who DRANK glycerin, as opposed to inhaling. Don't know which increases the serum glycerol more. As you can see, the Triglyceride levels were wildly elevated. This is what apparently happened with my test. We shall see...
https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(17)30693-9/pdf

Last edited:

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I have had my cholesterol levels checked regurlarly for the last 5 years due to a heart condition. Vaping high VG liquids has made no discernable difference to the results. I've abstained from vaping prior to tests and i've vaped minutes before a test in the past (mainly due to reading similar posts as yours before).
Taking statins reduced my levels and cutting out most saturated fat from my diet has helped also. I believe the biggest contribution to my lower cholesterol readings has been my 5x increase in exercise and giving up smoking.

Will follow this thread as genuinely interested in your results.....:)
See below for a link. This test can be performed with/without a blanking assay for Glycerol. I am of course going to follow this up with my physician. I already mentioned it to him as a possibility. He advised skipping the vape before the test. I just switched to an all PG vape, and my test came back in normal range.
TGGB - Clinical: Glycerol-Corrected Triglycerides, Serum

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
If you guys think I am attacking vaping or VG use, you have the wrong idea!
If you read about lipids panel in any depth, you will learn about blanking assays which can be performed to adjust to elevated Glycerol levels in serum. Some laboratory facilities do this routinely, others require a special order, and some cannot do it at all.
I am not at all trying to discourage anyone from vaping, I am a member here, and a vaper. I am not a proponent of VG, nor am I a detractor of VG. Simply calling them as they are. The problem isn't with VG, it's a POTENTIAL problem with the testing methods! Just letting everyone know to inform their Dr. that they vape VG, so if results are 'outliers' they can be questioned! It's that simple. No 'scare' story from me.
>>Here is a paper detailing the effects on someone who DRANK glycerin, as opposed to inhaling. Don't know which increases the serum glycerol more. As you can see, the Triglyceride levels were wildly elevated. This is what apparently happened with my test. We shall see...
https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(17)30693-9/pdf

But your title did mean to say "Why would anyone vape max VG".
That's not exactly saying beware of falsely elevated triglyceride tests.

It would be nice to know how much that lady was drinking (and what kind of mental issues she has causing her to drink it). It says she was using it to replace alcohol (again why).
I only vape 3-5ml a day. Considering it's a food additive I doubt if that is that much (1tsp or less). How much were you vaping?

Trying to figure out why that is the only one really elevated with my roommate I found drinking can cause it. Perhaps part of that lady's problem was binging on alcohol and VG.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
But your title did mean to say "Why would anyone vape max VG".
That's not exactly saying beware of falsely elevated triglyceride tests.
You wanna go back and read it again, Myk?
The question in the topic was valid, and the answer is in the post, if you decide to actually read it carefully, this time...:)

Last edited:

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
When i was starting out, and because i generally have reactions to a worrying amount of things, i mixed up a 100% PG mix, figured if its going to cause a reaction, that will do it..im an in the deepend kind of person, subtle is something other people do...

It was just very throaty and cloudless, im still here

I have a heart condition, and no change to the PG/VG level, and ive run the gamut on ratios, has ever changed indicators in any blood test ive ever had done, and i have them done every other month for digoxin levels. The only thing that has changed for me since i started vaping is ive had no palpitations in over 2.5 years, and am, subject to the outcome of some ultrasounds and ECG's next week, likely to come off digoxin. And ive taken that every day for 14 years.....

And before anyone tries to extrapolate my change in meds, did vaping cure my heart condition: No, but smoking definitely contributed to the blackouts and then later occasional palpitation attacks when on digoxin - at one stage before i went on digoxin i was blacking out several times a day. Had a couple of blackouts a year after i went on digoxin. Then i quit smoking and started vaping, not even a palpitation since about 6 months after i started. With improving health i started knocking out fast walks of 12 k around the local park regularly with zero ill effects, and finally approached my GP about whether i needed digoxin anymore a year ago, cardio ive seen for 14 years wasnt sure at the time, though they are soem of the only healthcare professionals i know who supported me using vaping in this country. Next week im having the tests done and will almost certainly be getting the green light to stop taking it. A reminder that every medical condition is personal, and my experience shouldnt be taken as a pattern you can repeat.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
You wanna go back and read it again, Myk?
The question in the topic was valid, and the answer is in the post, if you decide to actually read it carefully, this time...:)

So you meant to say "max PG"? Since that's not a thing and this was about a side effect of high VG I assumed it was a typo.

So how much did you vape? Since most of the VG is blown out in clouds (that's why it's there for most) I doubt much of my 1tsp is ingested.
If you were a 30ml/day vaper that would start sounding more like a valid possibility. 3-5ml I doubt it unless you lack the enzyme talked about i the case study.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Case Report: Hypertriglyceridaemia unresponsive to multiple treatments

I sure never implied or stated that everyone's experience was the same. This is about my experience. Take it, leave it, ignore it, or flail about it's all the same to me, you know. This is strictly about Glycerol possibly affecting Triglycerides tests, and consequently LDL test. There is evidence to support it. Read the links, do a little Google.
It only applies to a specific test, not any other bloodwork you may have had done. There already was information posted on this site about vaping having an effect on free cholesterol, years ago. Unfortunately, I cannot re-locate the link right now. The question I asked in the header was "Why would anyone (ME!) vape max PG." The answer is: In order to get an accurate TG test, which I think I have done.
So what exactly is YOUR agenda, here?

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
So you meant to say "max PG"? Since that's not a thing and this was about a side effect of high VG I assumed it was a typo.

So how much did you vape? Since most of the VG is blown out in clouds (that's why it's there for most) I doubt much of my 1tsp is ingested.
If you were a 30ml/day vaper that would start sounding more like a valid possibility. 3-5ml I doubt it unless you lack the enzyme talked about i the case study.
Lack of the enzyme is not the issue, That is a cause for glycerol levels to be high. So might be vaping glycerol.
Did I mention in my post anything about 3-5 ml consumption? My consumption was far higher when I had that test, assuredly. I don't think I have ever done 30 in a day, but I do low nicotine, so use more VG/PG than average, probably. Yes, I was hammering the vape pretty good, as the doctor visits are not for routine checkup, and I was apprehensive at the time about outcomes. I have used several 2ml tanks since I posted this,:) so it varies. I have more tests in the AM, so I am laying here wide awake instead of sleeping!
The links provided were to show that indeed elevated glycerol levels DO cause false high TG readings, and since the LDL is computed from the TG level, that is wrong, as well. Which is what seems(as I originally qualified) to have happened to me. There is no reason to jump in with an opinion, as I only presented what happened to me, in a factual manner, and with supporting documentation to explain.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
So you meant to say "max PG"? Since that's not a thing and this was about a side effect of high VG
It is, of course, as much a "thing" as MaxVG, being an obvious contraction of maximum VG level. Same would of course apply to the reverse case. Again, the QUESTION was in reference to why I was vaping as close to pure PG(what would you call it?) as possible, and the ANSWER was because of the possible effect of VG. Also, it got you engaged in a discussion, no? I had mentioned in a previous thread that I would post about my (PG maximized mixture?) usage. I have done this with a related question in the title. Make sense to you now? Most people reading this forum know why they would want to increase the VG in their mix, the question was why would someone do the opposite of what is conventional. See?
I suspect that if I told someone on this forum that I was deliberately maximizing PG in my vape juice, they would ask exactly what my question posed; Why would anybody do that? That was the question I set out to answer. I also tossed in a warning for anyone getting strange results on a lipids test to check further/discuss with DR. etc.
Again, the test is suspect, here, not the use of VG in vaping!!!

Last edited:

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
For all the "everyone is different" comments:
EXACTLY! If this happened to everyone who vaped, and had a cholesterol test, it would be on the evening news, and your doctor would be looking for it! When I brought up the glycerol connection, my Dr. said to avoid vaping. Since I cannot do that and not smoke, I opted to use maximum PG mixture. Seems to have done the trick, although I cannot rule out an extremely good result from Lipitor. I will have more when I get my hands on the exact numbers. Small town docs don't like to be questioned, or give out copies.
It is definitely an outlier scenario, and I cannot definitively say that VG was responsible, so I didn't. I said it seems to be what happened, here, and am pursuing it with my physician.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I vape 90% VG because I can't handle more than 10% PG from flavorings. Should I try to get everyone vaping 90% VG because that's what works for me?
Come to think of it when I quit smoking I was diagnosed with Crohn's. OMG! Nobody should quit smoking.
Moral of the story, we are individuals with individual genetics dictating what is good or bad for us. One size does not fit all.
See, this is what I mean...I am not trying to get anyone to DO anything differently! I was relating my situation, and what I think happened, and advising caution...that's all. Any 'crusading' is being directed AT me, not BY me.
If your lipids tests are good consistently, then you don't have a pony in this race, yes? If you suddenly have a test result different than all previous tests, and to an extreme level, you should make sure your doctor knows ALL the information, and is aware of possible causes.
If classwife doesn't shut this down, I will add more about MY situation, as I get more info.

Reactions: stols001

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
For all the "everyone is different" comments:
EXACTLY! If this happened to everyone who vaped, and had a cholesterol test, it would be on the evening news, and your doctor would be looking for it! When I brought up the glycerol connection, my Dr. said to avoid vaping. Since I cannot do that and not smoke, I opted to use maximum PG mixture. Seems to have done the trick, although I cannot rule out an extremely good result from Lipitor. I will have more when I get my hands on the exact numbers. Small town docs don't like to be questioned, or give out copies.
It is definitely an outlier scenario, and I cannot definitively say that VG was responsible, so I didn't. I said it seems to be what happened, here, and am pursuing it with my physician.

I had very high cholesterol many years ago, way before vaping. Diet and exercise ( or lack thereof) were ruled out as causes, as I had an incredibly physical job, a BMI of 15 (I guess that’s quite low for a woman) and rarely ate anything I didn’t cook.

Stress and/or genetics were blamed. I tried Lipitor, but only for a month ( long story). And now use fish oil to bring up the good cholesterol, fiber to lower the bad. My doctor is a cardiologist, and very old school. For me, he didn’t like the meds.

Last time I had it checked it was high, but under terribly stressful circumstances. Didn’t help that I gained a LOT of weight. High as I’d expect, for me, in other words.

But I will bear this in mind in the future. Things have calmed down and I’m taking a little better care of myself, and if that isn’t reflected in my blood work, I’ll try decreasing my vg and let ya know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread