Status
Not open for further replies.

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
Also check this thread out
It says "What sets this thread apart from the other conductive thread that we carry is the fact that it's actually spun from stainless steel fibers and doesn't have a Nylon core." - so that kind might have Nylon in it?

This one is interesting, as it has a resistance of 2.3 ohms per inch. I remember seeing a thread about using stainless itself as the heating element but I think mesh was too conductive.

MilkyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Frederick, MD
Thers is also something better then all the above, coming to an Atty near you soon :)

You can't make a statement like that without more details!!! :blink:

I have some of the 3M Nextel ceramic sleeving material (Nextel 440 and 312) but haven't had a chance to try it yet...I may experiment when I get my GTUS before rolling SS. I've seen ceramic wicking mentioned sporadically but (although I haven't looked very hard) was wondering how many have tried it and what their results were. Thoughts? Experiences?

EvilGrym

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Moscow,Russia (ecigtalk.ru)
I'm going to give the yarn a shot first :)
Don't forget to boil it before use. For approx 15 minutes. Use only white colour.

What else I don't like in SS wiks: SS is metal & conducts heat out of atty active zone. So you have a high energy consumtion as a result. Other wiks , with low heat conductance utilize heat in proper zone of atty.

Last edited:

EvilGrym

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Case which happened yestarday. Button seized up and my cotton wick was heated for about 3 minutes constantly. When I noticed that and turned battery off device was very hot, driptip melted down a little bit, and so did cd disc which was in contact with devices body (copper tube). I inspected the wick - it turned a little bit broun but still works. There was some bloated taste for a coupple of poofs. I still vaping that wick for now and I think it will work for a week more regarding to it's condition.

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
Don't forget to boil it before use. For approx 15 minutes. Use only white colour.

I've been using silica since I started making my own atties and always boil then flame them so they turn white :)

Did you see my link to the SS wool and thread? What do you think about them?

I like SS for it's ability to last much longer. As much as I like silica, once an atty gets gunked up even a dry burn will leave particles behind. With stainless, you can torch it til it glows right on the coil and it's gunk-free when you're done. Anything left can be picked off with a toothpick - silica tends to fall apart when you disturb it.

I'm trying to move away from using silica rope as the particles bother me. I know if they stay wet you have a lower chance of getting things flying off the coil but dry hits happen and that's what bothers me.

All-stainless wicks don't wick as well in my experience so I've been wrapping silica wicks in stainless to get the best of both worlds - the durability of the stainless mesh with the wicking action of the silica and have been satisfied. I'm still searching for that 'holy grail' though: an all stainless coil that wicks like silica. That is why that wool and thread caught my eye :)

EvilGrym

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
What do you think about them? That is why that wool and thread caught my eye :)

wettability of ss differs from cotton's or silica's. I think its rather poor. Make a test : 3 wicks same length, same diameter, hang them vertical and look how much heigth liquid could rise.
wettatester.jpg
I think the red one will be cotton.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Tell me about this microscopic image please?

(I can 'read' it, I mean how did you product this? Exhaling into a slide, etc?)

This thread is not about SS mesh. I don't like it, it has it's own problems, so don't post anything about it, please.

Let's talk about wick materials for attys.

Not long ago I found that silica thread gives a needle-like fragments when vaping. Some people made their own independant studyes and found the same problem. The size of needles vary from rather big to small enough to penetrate lungs alveolus and stay there. Big fragments can make an irritating and injuring effect to throat, adam's apple,
vocal ligaments, stomach when swallowed. Small can stay in lungs forever or for too long time irritating alveolus, even to clogging it up. Simpthoms are scratching or pain at throat and/or adam's apple, regular voice dissapearing at the morning.
Here is some fotos:
new wick View attachment 89082
used wick View attachment 89083
:vapor: vapour condensate View attachment 89081

I found that silica wick may be successfully replaced by a 100% cotton or bamboo yarn. Results are amazing.
Just one thing - you must boil yarn for some time (about 10-30 min) before use to wash away any yarn impregnation.

Yarn wick has a better liquid transfer rate, gives more fine-disperced vapour which transfers more nic to lungs , better taste transfer, less coil clogging.

Yes, if you dried out your wick it will burn, so the only thing it to keep it wet enough.

We made a croud test of organical wicks at various types of attys. Lifetime of a cotton wick varies from 2 days to more than 14, depends on use conditions. But in common is not less than silica wick testers reported.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I see what you mean asdaq

But if its from inside the chamber, no disrespect to the OP, then it doesn't really shed light on the issue, which to me boils down to, are we subjecting the silica to sufficient temperatures/dispersive physical forces such that particles can travel into the lungs --> silicosis or something on that spectrum

Just because its floating in the juice doesn't mean its getting into the pulmonary system; does that make sense?

EvilGrym

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
cyrus-vap I made this picture this way: placed the wick near the glass about 5 mm distance and put power on. it boils and vapor condenced on glass. Another man tested exhaled vapour and found particles in it. I suspect, that microblasts can brake silica fiber producing this particles.

at this time i have some statistics about using organical fiber wicks. ( 84 vapers for now ) many of them had simpthoms described above, after migrating to organics simpthoms gone.This proves the assumption that the particles are traveling to the lungs I think.

And the most interesting thing is that noone of them returned to silica fiber.:p

The most suitable fiber is bamboo yarn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread