Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
can you place photos of your results here?
They were all deleted when I reached my limit here, to be able to post new. At the time I didn't use photobucket.
It was a couple of years ago, but I didn't like what i saw. It was done at a forensic lab and the Doctor told me he wouldn't like what he saw in his lungs. I have been 100% SS for a long time, but am looking forward to trying the bamboo yarn. Having trouble finding it natural (no dye color) and without cotton or soy blend.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Thank you for the info my friend

Let me say with My New Yorker crassness, that is EFFING terrifying...

cyrus-vap I made this picture this way: placed the wick near the glass about 5 mm distance and put power on. it boils and vapor condenced on glass. Another man tested exhaled vapour and found particles in it. I suspect, that microblasts can brake silica fiber producing this particles.

at this time i have some statistics about using organical fiber wicks. ( 84 vapers for now ) many of them had simpthoms described above, after migrating to organics simpthoms gone.This proves the assumption that the particles are traveling to the lungs I think.

And the most interesting thing is that noone of them returned to silica fiber.:p

The most suitable fiber is bamboo yarn.

slimest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2011
Russia, Moscow
ecigroom.myqip.ru
Is there any concern over inhaling cotton residues? There were issues among cotton workers back in the day
Exactly. Diseases induced by inhaling of a different dust or particles are called pneumoconiosis. If you inhale silica or cotton or bamboo particles, there is a risk of pneumoconiosis. Also cotton and wooden particles are known as allergens.

Last edited:

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
I wonder if there is a way to treat bamboo yarn to get rid of some of the particles... that sounded promising. I bought a bunch of silica wick just a couple weeks ago, but looking at some of those pictures I am wishing I had just got SS mesh... :glare: That is probably the way I will go.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
Last edited:

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
EvilGrym...are you or your buddy a Microbiologist or lab tech or something in that field that would know the proper protocol for doing this type of testing and be able to analyze and know for a fact what it is you are seeing on the slide? Did you do this in a sterile environment with sterile slides and equipment...run several test and test the liquid used separate before it was put in the atty...stain the slide..as some things especially clear material will not even show up without it...or have a control specimen for reference...get actual measurements in microns of the "fibers" in question?

I'm not qualified to do any of that either....but I know you would be amazed at the stuff you are inhaling 24/7 that may look like that. Just look at the air when the sunlight is shining thru the window and you will see what I mean...even in the cleanest houses. I am not attacking your judgement but it seems like every day here anymore someone does a "test" and comes to a conclusion that panics everyone. Here is one to do...take some slides and rub the mouthpiece on it and take a look...get a germ and bacteria count and post pics of the nasty critters crawling around on it...and no one will put their lips on a PV ever again.

You do know the process used to extract the fiber from bamboo is similar to cotton right? It is broken down and spun with lye and other chemicals like sulfuric acid and carbon disulfide. Can you get a guarantee from China or wherever its made that these chemicals and dye are completely removed from the final product? But...I do think its worth investigating further as an alternative source for wick though....who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread