Wick materials. Safe vs dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Not sure if I missed it but where do you buy this rayon?

Aunt Lydia's viscose bamboo crochet thread is the only rayon that I've seen discussed here in depth. This is the manufacturer's link:

Aunt Lydia's Bamboo

I got mine in natural color at Joann Fabrics. I still use this stuff, or cotton balls, depending on my mood or particular build specs.

cessnapix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Northeast
Rayon; My exwife is a hairdresser and they buy it by the box full, Like a soft rope about an inch in diameter. They use it to do perms and put it around peoples face to absorb the nasty chemicals. It is also stuffed inside women's feminine hygiene products. Doesnt matter if it is made of Bamboo or native trees, it is all wood pulp treated in acids and other chemicals, then washed out. All the same synthetic material in the end.

So I've got this idea... I'm going to build another vertical micro coil for my bcc sheath the coil with Ekowool before install then stuff the space around the coil with rayon. That should give me great wicking and prevent the stuffing from burning. Waiting on the Ekowool now.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Reactions: YePsTeR

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Ok stepping up the game, getting creative, thinking outside the box. Never heard of this being used. My newest find is viva. Kleenex viva "paper towels. More like cotton. This stuff is working great for me super absorbant. On my build I'm not getting any off flavor at all. Better than cotton. Just cut a strip rinse once in water pat dry, and wrap. I'm using it as external wrap in vertical coil thead above. But I think it could also be rolled for normal wicking. Just rinsed a strip and its clean and pure. Also using my rayon in conjunction with it.

null_zpsc6377567.jpg

( I don't like the box that's why I'm always outside it) lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Katdarling

kgs-wy

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Gillette, WY
For those curious about Nextel 312/XC-116 health concerns, this is the 3M issued Health & Safety Bulletin and the 3M Nextel Ceramic Textiles Technical Notebook. It might be helpful to read to help you make a decision about its use:

Health & Safety Bulletin (also included in the Technical Notebook, linked separately for those just curious about potential side-effects): http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/ceramics/pdfs/health_safety.pdf

3M Nextel Ceramic Textiles Technical Notebook (linked in full for those curious about more than just the safety concerns): http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/ceramics/pdfs/Nextel_Tech_Notebook_11.04.pdf

Hope this helps everyone that's curious about it out! At any rate, keep on vapin', everyone! :vapor:

-Laters...!
kgs-wy

EDIT: this was also brought up in a thread elsewhere on the site, but I didn't find it until after I posted this, but I figured I'd keep this up and link to that thread, as well. :oops: :laugh: Anyway, here's the link: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...9-nextel-xc-116-ceramic-sleeving-wicking.html

Last edited:

Bmays

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sooooooo after reading through some of these pages I'm still not sure: is cotton (gonna go try the ones from CVS/Walgreens) a safe wicking material. Is kanthol a safe coil material? Do I need to boil first?

Thanks

Yes and yes. Nobody's guaranteeing you may not have extra fingers in 10/20 years though

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk 2

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
Sooooooo after reading through some of these pages I'm still not sure: is cotton (gonna go try the ones from CVS/Walgreens) a safe wicking material. Is kanthol a safe coil material? Do I need to boil first?

Thanks

Remember that most of us don't think vaping is completely safe. Vaping is harm reduction, not harm elimination. Most of us think that vaping with cotton wicks and kanthal is much much much (x100) safer than cigarettes. I use whatever cotton balls my wife buys, wherever she buys them (I find them in the cute little lidded cotton ball container she keeps on the vanity, so I don't really know where she gets them), and I don't boil them. I probably should, but I admit it, I'm lazy. My kanthal gets run through the flame of a torch-style lighter to burn off any machine oil residue that is on it, plus heating it red/yellow hot removes the springiness and makes it easier to coil.

Youssefa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2009
Gainesville, FL USA
The below statement is not directed at any one person or specific group, only an illustration of a more and more common way of thinking that I have observed at vape meets, conventions and local vapers.

far to many vapers have lost perspective, in regards to harm reduction, only use hemp/cotton... boil it. only vape VG it's natural, PG is bad.... "you" used to smoke 4000+ harmful chemicals of which about 1500 of them are carcinogenic, not to mention the polonium 210 exposure to the soft tissue of the lungs, and now you are splitting hairs an being a snob about wicks and how "natural" you eliquid is...

I was at my local vape shop a few days ago killing time, and a guy walks in reeking of tobacco smoke, must of hot boxed in the car. He starts talking in the background and I start picking up on things that he was saying. Like, I want to quit smoking.... isn't pg anti-freeze, If this stuff is safe why hasn't the FDA approved it......

Hello, you just smoked a carton of camel wide non filter in the time it took you to drive from your house to the store... are you really asking this...????? :(

I hear this over and over, I read about it over and over on the forums.... It is really unbelievable... or maybe not... there is a significant decline in the reproduction of people with intelligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread