Wick materials. Safe vs dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa
The below statement is not directed at any one person or specific group, only an illustration of a more and more common way of thinking that I have observed at vape meets, conventions and local vapers.
It is really unbelievable... or maybe not... there is a significant decline in the reproduction of people with intelligence.

It's because people with double digit IQ's marry each other and have kids....

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
...I was at my local vape shop a few days ago killing time, and a guy walks in reeking of tobacco smoke...I want to quit smoking.... isn't pg anti-freeze, If this stuff is safe why hasn't the FDA approved it......

Hello, you just smoked a carton of camel wide non filter in the time it took you to drive from your house to the store... are you really asking this...????? :(

I hear this over and over, I read about it over and over on the forums.... It is really unbelievable... or maybe not... there is a significant decline in the reproduction of people with intelligence.

Depending on how stupid the person looks (ya, I tend to broad brush, meh...) I'd more than likely pipe up with, "Dude, vaping is killer deadly...forget the juice, the cheap off-shore devices are actually machined from spent nuclear fuel rods not stainless steel...I'd stick with smoking..."

...get's them out of the gene pool a little faster.

Reactions: iBloke

Nabby

Jun 12, 2013
Omaha, NE
Hello, you just smoked a carton of camel wide non filter in the time it took you to drive from your house to the store... are you really asking this...????? :(

I've been smoking for years and have had a hell of a time quitting. I love to smoke, and the only reason I want to quit is because it's so bad for me. My doc put me on Chantix briefly and that was a horrible experience, so I've learned to be cautious in giving up my vice for something potentially worse - I need to be sure it's actually progress in the right direction. So I can't really fault people from looking for the safest wick material, or damning PG... you gotta cut out what you can until you can kick the habit completely. Grym's first post in this thread about the dangers of silica wicks sure drew a parallel in my mind to the acetate cellulose in cigarette filters that does pretty much the same thing. I'm just saying, the more harm reduction, the better. That's just my 2c.

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Health isn't the only reason for trying different wick materials.. Synthetic wicks were giving me a hell of a sore throat, so I've started exploring organic ones (cotton, hemp) and eventually settled with hemp fiber.

No more sore throat, and BTW much cheaper. Double win :)

I've been smoking for years and have had a hell of a time quitting. I love to smoke, and the only reason I want to quit is because it's so bad for me. My doc put me on Chantix briefly and that was a horrible experience, so I've learned to be cautious in giving up my vice for something potentially worse - I need to be sure it's actually progress in the right direction. So I can't really fault people from looking for the safest wick material, or damning PG... you gotta cut out what you can until you can kick the habit completely. Grym's first post in this thread about the dangers of silica wicks sure drew a parallel in my mind to the acetate cellulose in cigarette filters that does pretty much the same thing. I'm just saying, the more harm reduction, the better. That's just my 2c.

Why would you want to trade one bad thing for another? The fact of the matter is that we do not know for certain that E-Cigs are harm reduction at all. I am assuming and hoping it is, but the truth is we probably won't know for another 20-50 years. I am willing to bet that it is a lot less harmful, but there has not been enough research to provide enough facts about long term effects. Also, why not use cotton/hemp/bamboo wick and pure VG juices? It's not like it's any harder or more expensive. Yea pure VG juices are SOMETIMES more expensive than pure PG or PG/VG blends, but the natural wicks are way cheaper than silica/Ekowool/ceramic/ss mesh/readyXwick/etc. Those people asking those questions are obviously new to vaping and don't sit on forums all day liking up vape info. So they have the right to ask those questions.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

blondeambition3

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
FL, USA
blondeambition3.wix.com
There is much research to indicate that Vaping is less harmful. Refer to CASAA's Website for RELIABLE and current Scientific Research regarding same.

New study confirms that chemicals in electronic cigarettes pose minimal health risk
- "Key" Word being 'confirms'..... :blink:

CASAA: New study confirms that chemicals in electronic cigarettes pose minimal health risk

IF you don't believe either the PRO or CON Research, then don't choose to vape. It's really that simple.

We consume in our everyday Diets, far more toxic/poisonous/and hazardous Chemicals than most of us are aware.

The Pharmaceuticals most of us take for our 'diseases' usually have more hazardous side-effects (resulting in worst disease and death) than the ills for which they were prescribed.

The Quality of our Water? Our Air? Take your pick.... rest assured you're being slowly poisoned if you're not doing your 'due diligence' in these areas.

If you want to get 'passionate' about anything, choose 'bigger' issues than vaping, or better yet, just don't vape..... but don't lecture about something you have done no 'personal' research on.

So, what if you're right?.... :confused:

So what if you're right.

At the end of the day, it's not about whose right or whose wrong... it's about getting at the TRUTH... not just about vaping, but about everything that affects us environmentally across the Board.

It's OK to question it all... but it's up to each of us individually to do that, and to seek our own ways and arrive at our own INFORMED decisions.

I've noticed just within the past few years, that all of the TRUE Research and Information regarding eCigs & Safety disappearing and all of the BIG INTERESTS replacing same with their Mis/Dis-information, outright LIES and Propaganda... therefore, realize you're going to have to really dig for the truth in order to find it

Do that, or don't vape.

It's your fundamental RIGHT to vape or not to vape. In the meantime, I'll vape. :smokie:

:thumbs:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Why would you want to trade one bad thing for another? The fact of the matter is that we do not know for certain that E-Cigs are harm reduction at all....Those people asking those questions are obviously new to vaping and don't sit on forums all day liking up vape info. So they have the right to ask those questions.

Kind of an odd argument...there are hundreds of chemicals in cigarettes that are documented carcinogens...other than the ingredients that make up my foodsafe flavoring there are 3 ingredients in my diy juice...I think I'll take my chances on the vaping thing...

...by all means new vapers should ask questions but if they are that concerned about their health...maybe they should take the time?

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
Ok stepping up the game, getting creative, thinking outside the box. Never heard of this being used. My newest find is viva. Kleenex viva "paper towels. More like cotton. This stuff is working great for me super absorbant. On my build I'm not getting any off flavor at all. Better than cotton. Just cut a strip rinse once in water pat dry, and wrap. I'm using it as external wrap in vertical coil thead above. But I think it could also be rolled for normal wicking. Just rinsed a strip and its clean and pure. Also using my rayon in conjunction with it.

null_zpsc6377567.jpg

( I don't like the box that's why I'm always outside it) lol

i guess i just dont know what to say.

That just kind of does say it all.

Been reading some of this thread, but not all 400 plus pages! I never thought that vaping is automatically safe or even safer thing, in actuality vapers are in effect guinea pigs- the fact is the long term effects of vaping are unknown and will be unknown until more time has passed (but vaping has been around long enough that you'd think there would be a higher number of empiricle studies, especially if vaping is going to be the panacea for smoking some believe it is). I smoked moderately but vape much more than I smoked. The assumption is it is safer than cigs. How long were cigs around before you heard about their health effects? I want to tell myself it is better, even substantially better for my health, but honestly I don't really know- I'm just rationalizing.
Anyway my thinking about silica wick material is- would'nt this wick particle phenomenon apply more to vapers who are "drippers"- where you are drawing straight off the wick- versus a wick submerged in a tank as used with bottom coil tanks? Also why could'nt there be a method to utilize some sort of drip tip filter to remove such particles (if there are in fact particles)?

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
A filter would accumulate a lot of condensation. As for drippers it could go either way. There's typically a tighter draw on a clearo making a higher vacuum at the coil. But drippers are more open and air comes through faster but with little vaccum under the wick. So ?

Yeah cigarettes at one time were promoted by doctors... Pretty crazy huh. Coca-Cola used to have a drug in it.
------------

i guess i just dont know what to say.

That just kind of does say it all.

Some might say an Innovator...

Last edited:
I wonder how much of the FDA research will be on just the conventional cig-alike cartridge devices versus what some people use besides- since there is a world of difference between the two. "Sub ohm" or even lower ohm vaping using wicks is a far cry from the cig-alikes. I prefer to vape at higher ohms and lower voltage myself. I have no idea if that makes it any safer. As long as I vape I'm still a lab rat, and an unpaid one at that (yes there actually is a number of professional lab rats out there- people who make their living submitting themselves to various testing for pay).

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
Hey wondering about his for wicking and if anyone has tried it. Found this cotton looking Stuff in a vitamin/ medicine bottle. Looks great. I burn tested and its natural. i have concluded after a good Amount of Research that its rayon/ viscous , same as Lydia's 10 but maybe not bamboo .

Some might say an Innovator...

^^^^^ Whatever ^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread