ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Ask and Ye shall receive: The Killer 705 Advanced Rebuildable Atomizer Ecig Life

OK I didn't design it, but it is a rebuildable that goes inside a carto tank. There is another one but i forget what it's called.

Finally got a chance to really take a good look at this. It is a rebuildable but you cheated. It's not really a carto. :D Interesting gizmo. For $80 no wonder you haven't tried it! I won't be either. But it is neat people are coming up with new stuff.

If any of the usual cartos could be rebuilt without being anymore expensive than they already are, that would be a HUGE hit, imo. All they need is to be able to screw off the base. It's kind of amazing it hasn't been done yet. I can see when they were just for cigalikes that manuf's would not have moved in that direction, thinking people new to e-cigs would not be a target market for RBAs. But at this point more cartos are probably sold for use in tanks.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Finally got a chance to really take a good look at this. It is a rebuildable but you cheated. It's not really a carto. :D Interesting gizmo. For $80 no wonder you haven't tried it! I won't be either. But it is neat people are coming up with new stuff.

If any of the usual cartos could be rebuilt without being anymore expensive than they already are, that would be a HUGE hit, imo. All they need is to be able to screw off the base. It's kind of amazing it hasn't been done yet. I can see when they were just for cigalikes that manuf's would not have moved in that direction, thinking people new to e-cigs would not be a target market for RBAs. But at this point more cartos are probably sold for use in tanks.

Actually Mad Vapes has a clone of it for crazy cheap. You can get the clone itself for $2.99!!! Or with a choice of small or large tank for $11.99. Unfortunately only the small tank option is in stock right now. For that price I might give one a shot.

Search results for: 'terminator'

As far as actual rebuildable cartos, I think trying to build a coil inside that diameter would be a major PITA. Not to mention a lot of cartos use a vertical coil that is kind of built-in to the center straw type thingy. There there is the batting material to worry about getting just right.

The devices I have previously mentioned are trying to get as close as possible to cartos in a rebuildable format as is probably possible.

EDIT: Here is what the inside of a carto looks like....doesn't look like fun to rebuild.
168007d1357921399-switched-dc-tank-but-isnt-there-flaw-dc-tanks-disected-cartomizer-1.jpg

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Actually Mad Vapes has a clone of it for crazy cheap. You can get the clone itself for $2.99!!! Or with a choice of small or large tank for $11.99. Unfortunately only the small tank option is in stock right now. For that price I might give one a shot.

Search results for: 'terminator'

Hey, thanks for that! I might give that a try too! Didn't notice if the tank is pyrex but that would make me even more enthusiastic. (Don't own plastic tanks.)

EDIT: ScottP might wanna read the first review before buying... looks like it might be better to spend $2.99 on the device itself and put it in a different tank (the reviewer said an AGR tank is perfect though I'd look for a pyrex tank first). Sounds like smaller tank isn't too ideal?

As far as actual rebuildable cartos, I think trying to build a coil inside that diameter would be a major PITA. Not to mention a lot of cartos use a vertical coil that is kind of built-in to the center straw type thingy. There there is the batting material to worry about getting just right.

I forgot about the tank carto's using a vertical coil (I assume Boge and Smoktech and Ikenvape are all vertical) as the Bloog carto's I have always used are the same setup as a standard atty in any clearo or tank head... horizontal coil at bottom... so would be a simple matter to just unscrew the base and drop out the atty without disturbing the poly/central straw/batting above it. Bloog cartos are also 808 threads though, but boy are they nice cartos. AND expensive @ 11.99 for 5.

The devices I have previously mentioned are trying to get as close as possible to cartos in a rebuildable format as is probably possible.

This is really good to know and I'm going to seriously eye the one at the link above for trial.

In the meantime I ran across an old thread on ECF last night where a member was saying he used cotton balls for 2 years and loved them, then finally ran out and bought another bag, and hated them saying they tasted real funny. He apparently didn't get the brand he had previously (some people take balls out of the bag they come in and put them in a canister so maybe he didn't know what kind he'd had). IAC people chimed in and suggested Whole Foods organic cotton balls, so that's what I'm trying next before ordering silica.

To those who use cotton balls here, what brand do you use?

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I can tell you Kroger brand taste nasty.

LOL! (I was thinking, well of course, then went to see which ones I tried before that tasted so bad and they were Kroger!! LOL at me LOL at you!!!) :toast: Yes, I can second the fact that Kroger is bad.

I just got back from Whole Foods and bought their 365-brand certified organic balls. Right out of the bag they don't smell like old shirts, but they DO have almost a perfumey scent. Made a wick for the IGO-L without rinsing or washing. Tasted perfumey like it smelled. Threw wick out. Rinsed ball in hot water (just by hand) and perfume smell was gone. Made another wick. Perfumy taste gone but now tastes like steamy cotton shirts, similar to the yarn. I know... I should boil but the thing about washing cotton balls is it screws up the fluffiness and compacts it. Even when it dries it's never the same. I might try boiling a ball but I'm not too hopeful.

@TomCatt : Your choice will be my next [and probably last attempt with cotton barring someone chiming in saying they had my exact problem until they tried "this".] I'll get some sterile balls which I won't wash since it's sterile and for medical purposes. IIRC you said you don't wash it either. Do you have to break your wicks in with a great deal of juice before they taste good, or do they taste ok after a handful of vapes, sort of like silica? IOW, did you have to get used to a cotton taste or does this not have a taste to you?

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Been so long since I started using cotton, I don't really recall initial tastes. Who knows, I may just be used to a cottony taste :D; but I definitely taste my DIY peppermint loud and clear ;)

I hear ya. :) Taste buds are funny.... after vaping these cotton wicks in the IGO, when put the PT2 [with silica] back on the mod, at first that tastes really odd too in a whole different way (not gunk on the coil, or burnt, but an odd taste I've never had except when coming from cotton back to silica). But after 4 or 5 vapes that disappears and all I can taste is RY4. It only happens after I've vaped cotton. It's like the taste buds get turned around when switching back and forth.

Shinu77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Zanesville, OH

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA
I went back to trying cotton again today.

First try at cotton was horrible, thought I was crazy because everyone said it was great. I thought it tasted terrible. Used q-tip cotton and some organic cotton balls from Walgreens. Both were horrible. Tasted dry, burnt, just horrible. Figured I did something wrong. Then I boiled the cotton and it got better but it was still off. Tried less cotton than I would think would work good and it was really good but the wicks do not last very long. Went back to my favorite wick, 2mm and 1.5mm ekowool. For my reo and rba's, 1.5mm ekowool will slip into a 5/64 microcoil fairly easy so that is my standard. For protank coils I use 2mm ekowool and 6 wraps of kanthal and I like that setup alot.

Today I tried cotton again. Organic balls from Walgreens boiled for 15 minutes then left to air dry for couple days. Much better than prior attempts but there is definitely a different taste between ekowool and cotton. Cotton is easy enough to deal with as long as I'm carrying some cotton around. Ekowool lasts a few days in the microcoil but flavors get muted after a day or so from what I've noticed. But I can rinse and dry burn the ekowool and pretty much reset it back to normal.

So I'm still not completely happy with anything I've tried so far. However, I am going to give the cotton a few days. Suppose on the reo its not too much work to rewick, but would rather have something more durable. Protanks are just fine with a 2mm ekowool wick and I usually just put a new coil in with juice fill ups. It is what it is until something better comes along. :vapor:

Anyway, maybe try 2mm ekowool in your protank coils. I use a large paperclip inserted into ekowool to hold it and to space the ekowool for coil wrapping. This is the hollow 2mm ekowool by the way for the protanks. The 1.5mm I referenced above is solid core.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I just ordered 2 feet 4.99

I'd like to know what you think of it, especially in the flavor department. Since it has a cotton center I'd especially like to know if it tastes like cotton or if the silica (ekowool) sleeve is enough to mask that.

I read some earlier threads where some people were dissatisfied with ekowool as they said it muted the flavor too much. Wicks are def a "Three Little Bears" process! And for some there doesn't seem to be a "just right" option (at least for me), but I have to say so far silica has the least amount of its own flavor, after a short break-in of a handful of vapes. It's only real issue AFAIC is healthwise.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I went back to trying cotton again today.

First try at cotton was horrible, thought I was crazy because everyone said it was great. I thought it tasted terrible. Used q-tip cotton and some organic cotton balls from Walgreens. Both were horrible. Tasted dry, burnt, just horrible. Figured I did something wrong. Then I boiled the cotton and it got better but it was still off. Tried less cotton than I would think would work good and it was really good but the wicks do not last very long.

Does this mean you couldn't taste the cotton anymore?

Went back to my favorite wick, 2mm [hollow] and 1.5mm [solid] ekowool. For my reo and rba's, 1.5mm ekowool will slip into a 5/64 microcoil fairly easy so that is my standard. For protank coils I use 2mm ekowool and 6 wraps of kanthal and I like that setup alot.

The solid ekowool you mention, is that with a cotton core, or is it all ekowool?

As for the hollow ekowool, from what I understand ekowool IS silica... what do you like about the ekowool type of silica versus standard silica wicks? Like, what differences would you note?

Today I tried cotton again. Organic balls from Walgreens boiled for 15 minutes then left to air dry for couple days. Much better than prior attempts but there is definitely a different taste between ekowool and cotton. Cotton is easy enough to deal with as long as I'm carrying some cotton around. Ekowool lasts a few days in the microcoil but flavors get muted after a day or so from what I've noticed.

That's interesting and I've heard other people say that...

But I can rinse and dry burn the ekowool and pretty much reset it back to normal.

Good to know.

So I'm still not completely happy with anything I've tried so far. However, I am going to give the cotton a few days. Suppose on the reo its not too much work to rewick, but would rather have something more durable. Protanks are just fine with a 2mm ekowool wick and I usually just put a new coil in with juice fill ups. It is what it is until something better comes along. :vapor:

Anyway, maybe try 2mm ekowool in your protank coils. I use a large paperclip inserted into ekowool to hold it and to space the ekowool for coil wrapping. This is the hollow 2mm ekowool by the way for the protanks. The 1.5mm I referenced above is solid core.

Thanks for clarifying (hope you don't mind I put [ ] inside your quote earlier with that clarification). Making a list of things to try... 2mm hollow ekowool for the PT2 makes the list. :D And I'll try less cotton when the stuff I boiled finally dries.

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA
Does this mean you couldn't taste the cotton anymore?

The solid ekowool you mention, is that with a cotton core, or is it all ekowool?

As for the hollow ekowool, from what I understand ekowool IS silica... what do you like about the ekowool type of silica versus standard silica wicks? Like, what differences would you note?

That's interesting and I've heard other people say that...

Good to know.

Thanks for clarifying (hope you don't mind I put [ ] inside your quote earlier with that clarification). Making a list of things to try... 2mm hollow ekowool for the PT2 makes the list. :D And I'll try less cotton when the stuff I boiled finally dries.

I can taste the cotton but it is definitely becoming less of an issue. To be fair, ekowool has an off taste at first but it goes away after a few puffs. The time the wick lasts is the issue with cotton. Some juices I need 2-3 wicks a day, just annoying. The wicks are not getting burnt or anything but the flavor drops out and the juice starts to taste bad. Flavorless nic would prob last forever; who knows. I love flavor so I'm not jumping on the flavorless nic juice anytime soon. I also think cotton is a warmer vape and I prefer cooler vapes. 1.5-1.8 ohm coils on mechs with microcoils is my preference. 2.2-2.5 ohm coils on protanks with my vv mods at 6.5-7 watts.

Ekowool makes up the longevity issue but ya I think it mutes flavors a bit. Also the ekowool has a weird taste at first so I usually vape some juice off of it before inhaling. The solid ekowool is threaded with silica and yes ekowool is braided silica from what I can tell. I bought all the ekowool I've tried from kidneypuncher which is a tad pricey. I like ekowool because its easier to work with IMO. I can torch it and clip the end off and thread it into a microcoil. Never had luck with regular silica and microcoils. I have big sausage fingers and little dexterity. LOL I think its comparable to silica in flavor dept; just easier to work with. Ekowool also appears to wick a tad better but no real data to support that. I have found it is important to put something inside the ekowool when wrapping the coil such as a paperclip or tiny drill bit. It expands it just a tad so there is expansion room when the wick gets wet. Ekowool really sucks if the coil is too tight.

So in the end I am not 100% satisfied with anything I've tried but am content to deal with these two wick choices. I have ordered some XS-116 to try but I'm assuming it will be comparable to ekowool.

EDIT: Just wanted to add my complaints of cotton and ekowool really aren't that big of a deal. I have a little OCD and this is a new hobby. Quest for the perfect vape could very well last forever... :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread