Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Just curious what your particular reason is for trying cotton... meaning, what is it about silica you'd like to move away from, or what would you like to improve on with cotton?

Silica is made out of tiny glass like shards. Some concern has been raised (although not proven) that these glass shards can make their way into your mouth and lungs. Some say this is not possible at all, while others say it is possible but they are too large to get stuck. The reality is we do not know for sure either way. Moving to cotton is simply risk reduction.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
A lot of users here like Peaches and Cream yarn from Walmart... but there is no instance of "organic" on the page.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Peaches-and-Creme-Yarn-4-70.9g/17422880

Hmm...

P&C is NOT organic. WalMart does not carry an organic cotton yarn that I could find. Joanne's carries the Lion's organic brand. I thought it would be difficult because it's worsted (twisty and uneven) but it was fine to work with. However there are many organic undyed cotton yarns available online that are not worsted.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
I never really had a problem with cotton burning. Silica gives me a hinted burnt flavor after a few hours... something I can't shake no matter how much I clean, wash, dry burn, etc. Cotton on the other hand hasn't really done that, despite its lack of ability to dry burn to extend any more life out of it. So far I'm on day 3 of the same wick and I've had no issues with it. Plus, the ability to pull out a cotton wick and put in a new one is braindead easy and fast. Different strokes, so whatever works. For me, I like cheap, convenient, and good taste/vapor, which I've obtained via cotton yarn.

Just curious what your particular reason is for trying cotton... meaning, what is it about silica you'd like to move away from, or what would you like to improve on with cotton?

From the quote above from "roasted" he/she is not having a problem with the cotton giving a burnt flavor, but did with the silica. I am having a problem with the burnt flavor from the silica and was just looking at the cotton to see if it solved my problem, thats all, just to get rid of the burnt flavor that happens too soon after I put in new wicks.

Vape On...
:vapor:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Silica is made out of tiny glass like shards. Some concern has been raised (although not proven) that these glass shards can make their way into your mouth and lungs. Some say this is not possible at all, while others say it is possible but they are too large to get stuck. The reality is we do not know for sure either way. Moving to cotton is simply risk reduction.

That's why I thought I'd try it. :)

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
From the quote above from "roasted" he/she is not having a problem with the cotton giving a burnt flavor, but did with the silica. I am having a problem with the burnt flavor from the silica and was just looking at the cotton to see if it solved my problem, thats all, just to get rid of the burnt flavor that happens too soon after I put in new wicks.

Vape On...

Have you tried "high resistance" wicks? Supposedly good to over 1000F. There have been a couple links different ones people like. McMaster-Carr and Silica Rope 3 mm Silica Wick High Quality Temperature Resistance 1000°C | eBay. One ECF member who uses the McMaster wick says it's been going on a month... just rinse and reuse. I'm a little concerned about what they are made of, however. Then lots of ECF members buy the stuff from Germany, and the seller is also an ECF member.

FTR, I've been advised that if you tell the McMaster vendor what you want the wick for, they won't sell it to you. Of course inhaling that wick isn't in its list of applications.

roasted

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
USA
P&C is NOT organic. WalMart does not carry an organic cotton yarn that I could find. Joanne's carries the Lion's organic brand. I thought it would be difficult because it's worsted (twisty and uneven) but it was fine to work with. However there are many organic undyed cotton yarns available online that are not worsted.

I'll keep this in mind. We have a Joanne's sorta-close-ish-by. I wonder at the very least if P&C, while maybe not organic, at least wasn't sprayed with any sort of arsenic or the like. :p

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I'll keep this in mind. We have a Joanne's sorta-close-ish-by. I wonder at the very least if P&C, while maybe not organic, at least wasn't sprayed with any sort of arsenic or the like. :p

Well, if concerned organic yarn doesn't really break the bank. The Lions at Joanne's is $7... here's a place online for under $3 Simply Cotton Organic Sport Yarn - 100% organic cotton Sport Knitting Yarn, Crochet Yarn and Roving. Probably less yardage but plenty for wicks, and shipping is a few bucks so still less than driving to Joanne's. Also not worsted. Anyway... might be worth a few bucks for the peace of mind if worried about what's in non-organic. No one can really tell you what they put in it except the manufacturer.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I am not saying that anyone is lying, but the term "organic" is only regulated and monitored for food. Foods labeled as organic must adhere to USDA guidelines. Since no one is eating cotton, I am not sure there is any agency making sure sewing items that are labeled organic, really are.

If they use the official USDA logo then they probably are.
fn6_usdaorganicseal.jpg

I would also guess that boiling the yarn would remove any contaminates left in the yarn from manufacturing regardless of being organic or not. I would also say that true organic cotton is likely safer to use for our purposes unboiled than non-organic but I feel pretty confident that after boiling the two should be pretty close if not identical in cleanliness.

The bigger concern to me would be dyed vs undyed since the boiling will probably not remove all of the dye since the dye is designed to survive many washing machine cycles. Some people are also concerned with bleached vs unbleached. For me I don't care. Bleach is basically just chlorine which is already in your municipal water supply anyway as an anti-microbial agent. Also chlorine washes out pretty easily an should be gone after boiling. The other common bleaching agent is hydrogen peroxide which mixes with air to split into H2O (water) and Oxygen. As a result I will only use white (bleached and non-dyed) or natural (non-bleached and non-dyed) cotton.

Last edited:

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Have you tried "high resistance" wicks? Supposedly good to over 1000F. There have been a couple links different ones people like. McMaster-Carr and Silica Rope 3 mm Silica Wick High Quality Temperature Resistance 1000°C | eBay. One ECF member who uses the McMaster wick says it's been going on a month... just rinse and reuse. I'm a little concerned about what they are made of, however. Then lots of ECF members buy the stuff from Germany, and the seller is also an ECF member.

FTR, I've been advised that if you tell the McMaster vendor what you want the wick for, they won't sell it to you. Of course inhaling that wick isn't in its list of applications.

I have a 3' piece of this coming today or tomorrow to try
1mm 1 5mm 2mm 2 5mm 3mm High Quality Silica Wick Bonus 32 Gauge 10' Kanthal | eBay
says 1600 degrees, but we will see.

Vape On

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
All silica wick is "high resistance" (temperature-wise). The McMaster-Carr silica rope was often used before silica wicking was available elsewhere. If you wish to use silica, I would recommend getting some from an ecig vendor - most of this wicking is braided which will make it easier to handle, jmho.

Ekowool braided silica wicking has been popular

for examples only - no endorsements:
EKOWOOL Silica Wick - Kidney Puncher
Ekowool Silica Wick
Amazon.com: 12' 3mm High Quality Ekowool Silica Wick Braided Hollow 3±0,3 Temp Res 1000°C: Everything Else

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I am not saying that anyone is lying, but the term "organic" is only regulated and monitored for food.

Not so my wise friend. :) Many people are interested in using organic products to support a healthier earth, and as such organic textiles are very popular and a regulatory system in in place for certification. This is why I used the word "certified" organic, and not just "organic" when I responded to a member earlier in the thread. Other reasons people require organic cotton is for allergy reasons, so it is indeed regulated.

Foods labeled as organic must adhere to USDA guidelines. Since no one is eating cotton, I am not sure there is any agency making sure sewing items that are labeled organic, really are.

If they use the official USDA logo then they probably are.
View attachment 254471

And that's it. To use this label the material must be 100% organic as per standards pretty much explained here [though this is a corporate site, they have a handy FAQ about just this subject in short form]: Organic Cotton FAQ

If something says "organic" it might only be 95% organic, but if it says "100% organic" it should be USDA certified and bear the seal. But even if it doesn't bear the seal (it costs the manufacturer money to pay for the certification process), manuf are not supposed to use the words "100% organic" unless it meets USDA standards.

I would also guess that boiling the yarn would remove any contaminates left in the yarn from manufacturing regardless of being organic or not. I would also say that true organic cotton is likely safer to use for our purposes unboiled than non-organic but I feel pretty confident that after boiling the two should be pretty close if not identical in cleanliness.

The bigger concern to me would be dyed vs undyed since the boiling will probably not remove all of the dye since the dye is designed to survive many washing machine cycles. Some people are also concerned with bleached vs unbleached. For me I don't care. Bleach is basically just chlorine which is already in your municipal water supply anyway as an anti-microbial agent. Also chlorine washes out pretty easily an should be gone after boiling. The other common bleaching agent is hydrogen peroxide which mixes with air to split into H2O (water) and Oxygen. As a result I will only use white (bleached and non-dyed) or natural (non-bleached and non-dyed) cotton.

FTR 100% organic products can only use natural plant or food dyes, like beet juice for red, or indigofera for blue, henna for red, etc. But I totally agree that vaping chem dyes in non-organic yarn is a poor choice. And that bleached is better than dyed.

All that said, certified organic or "100% organic" undyed has to be the safest choice, imho. And this place Simply Cotton Organic Sport Yarn - 100% organic cotton Sport Knitting Yarn, Crochet Yarn and Roving sells small amounts of "100% organic" yarn, undyed. Don't know if it is certified (would have to email and ask), but if it's "100% organic" that would be good enough for me personally. And certainly better than standard yarn, risk-wise.

Btw the Lion's brand line of organic yarn has been discontinued, I saw on their site. Must be a recent thing since it's still in stock at the B&Ms. But I'd go with the link above if I was to buy more, personally. It's cheaper and the Lions brand only says "organic" not "100% organic," but it was all I could find locally.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
All silica wick is "high resistance" (temperature-wise).

Of course or it would torch out. :D But I was under the impression some types are higher resistance than others, and as such might have less tendency not only to burn (as some stock silica occasionally does) but also perhaps have less tendency to break down and lose bits of itself as some silica seems to do. The concern is inhaling silica of course, which some people say isn't small enough to get past the throat and is just coughed back up, but safer is always better. I just don't know if the real high-resistance wick is made with extra chemicals or out of materials that are less healthy than the problems we are trying to avoid.

The McMaster-Carr silica rope was often used before silica wicking was available elsewhere. If you wish to use silica, I would recommend getting some from an ecig vendor - most of this wicking is braided which will make it easier to handle, jmho.

Good point. But if I do get silica again, I want to try an advanced or better one than the average one that comes stock in the heads and is readily available from vendors. Hence, the two previous links.

Yes, those are in the running. :) I wish I just knew which wick has the least amount of its own flavor (the downfall of cotton for me)... and holds up best. :) I guess it's trial and error, but boy trial and error can get very expensive considering we do that with all the devices too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread