wick preferences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Great info, timk! Lots of useful stuff there to consider. It really helps hearing everyone's different experiences with these wicks. I wonder if there is any opinion (since there likely isn't any data) on whether ekowool might have less a tendency to break down and release tiny glass motes into the vapor, than standard silica wick.

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA
Great info, timk! Lots of useful stuff there to consider. It really helps hearing everyone's different experiences with these wicks. I wonder if there is any opinion (since there likely isn't any data) on whether ekowool might have less a tendency to break down and release tiny glass motes into the vapor, than standard silica wick.

Exactly why I'm giving cotton another shot. So far it is going much better today with the cotton. For fun I threw in some ekowool on my reomizer and the taste was not as good as cotton. Actually, with the braiding ekowool could be better at releasing particles. Who knows?

sbmqcy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
Quincy, IL, USA
Kidney Puncher has two different ceramic wicks on their site, only the 7/64th is in stock--1/8 (3.2mm) and 7/64th (2.8mm). But I have no clue how you would cut them down to the right length to fit inside the head, especially given the warning and comments on the 1/8th page about breakage. Maybe you could post in the classies to see if anyone has any broken nubs they want to donate for research. :p

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Well, the organic cotton balls from Whole Foods that I boiled 2 days ago finally air dried. :) So I rebuild a coil for the IGO-L dripper tonight and stuck in a cotton wick. And.... no steamy-iron-cotton-shirt taste!! It did taste like plain old cotton for a few minutes, but then that went away and the flavor of the juice came through. And plain old cotton isn't nearly as offensive as what I was getting before. Plus what I was getting before never went away, even after several minutes of vaping.

Since I'm not really used to vaping on the IGO-L the real test will be trying cotton in a tank head. My silica is hitting so good right now I don't really want to rebuild a coil until I have to. :D But I'm really happy that I finally seemed to have a success with it. It was really bugging me that I couldn't make this work! :D

EDIT: At 3am I couldn't stand it and rebuilt an Aro head with a cotton wick. The good news: It tasted great and only two 2 hits for the cottony taste to go away. Superb wicking. Bad news: Wicking seems so good it flooded and leaked all over the mod pin. Made a smaller wick, made a twisted wick, made flavor wicks... tried for 2 hours to rebuild the wick every way possible and the head hits perfect upside down :D (holding the batt end up) but as soon as I hold it normally it floods. So badly it won't hit and when I take off the Aro tank off the Vamo the pin well is FULL of a puddle of liquid so that I can actually DUMP it out. (like a full two drops maybe)

This happened to another Aro head too, where it hit perfectly for a long while then no matter what I did (even with silica) it started leaking very badly like this. Last night I even tried swapping a Kanger cup for the chimney, but nope. I can't figure out how these malfunction when they do that. Even though they always leak a little for me, something fails catastrophically in the design but they aren't that complicated, so what the heck is happening? IAC the cotton works good and I'm real happy about that. :D And will just put the bad head aside in a "bad head pile" for later tinkering. Or for parts. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread