Wick with shoe lace tip/slider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
Howdy Folks
I have arthritis in my fingers sucks for me but it is what it is.
I saw on some YouTube video that there was a wick with some kind of shoelace tip that easily fit through the coil then the shoelace tip was removed at the time I was like oh I need to remember who did that and of course I can't now that I'm looking around for this particular product.
If you know what I'm talking about I would appreciate you letting me know where I could get these.
The smallest coil I've been able to Wick has been 3mm and I'd like to try the smaller 2.5 and 2 mm coils, but I've had no luck wicking these small-diameter coils with my fingers thank you.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I saw You Tube reviewer Grimm Greene demonstrate those wicks. I don't recall the name.

While I'm thinking about it, if you have trouble removing your batteries from your mod or charger, you can place a shortened ribbon or shoelace around the battery. Just pull both ends of the ribbon or shoelace and the battery will easily pop out.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I have never seen that product, but I used to make my own back when I built 1.5mm "micro-coils". I would take about 3ft of white Peaches&Creme cotton yarn from Wal-Mart and boil it to remove sizing and let it dry. Then I would cut the tip of one end diagonally to a point and roll it in a drop of Elmer's glue and let that dry. That leaves you with a hard needle tip to easily thread through a coil.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I have never seen that product, but I used to make my own back when I built 1.5mm "micro-coils". I would take about 3ft of white Peaches&Creme cotton yarn from Wal-Mart and boil it to remove sizing and let it dry. Then I would cut the tip of one end diagonally to a point and roll it in a drop of Elmer's glue and let that dry. That leaves you with a hard needle tip to easily thread through a coil.
I remember that trick. I still think it's sheer genius.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I remember that trick. I still think it's sheer genius.

I just wish I could find a way to replicate it with 3mm-3.5mm coils. The problem is finding some sort of good cotton wicking material that is that long and thick enough for these larger coils. Of course with coils that big, it isn't THAT hard to push the regular KGD cotton through. I kind of skipped doing 2mm-2.5mm coils altogether.

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
Take about 4-5 inches of coil wire and bend it in the middle, making an elongated V. Slide the closed end of the V through the coil, put the tip of the wick through the V and pull the V back through the coil. It traps the wick and brings it along with it.

Just like grandma's old needle threaders.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Another option with cotton is to steal the old silica wick method and roll your wick twice as long but half as fat. Then bend it in half and use a piece of 30 gauge Kanthal to pull it through the coil.
Genius, I will have to give this a try. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread