Will ecig commercials kill vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
And they believe it? Maybe they're afraid of retaliation from the government and they just parrot what they think it's safe to repeat in order to survive. I'm not sure if it is Malaysia or another Asian country, but that country has banned regular chewing gum.

Lol it's banned in singapore because "people disposed of gum incorrectly by sticking it under places like chairs or tables." It's presciption only for "therapeutic" use.

"Chewing gum was causing serious maintenance problems in high-rise public housing flats, with vandals disposing of spent gum in mailboxes, inside keyholes and even on elevator buttons. Chewing gum left on floors, stairways and pavements in public areas increased the cost of cleaning and damaged cleaning equipment. Gum stuck on the seats of public buses was also considered a problem." LOLOLOLOLOLOL

I wondered about some of the e-cig commercials I have seen from other countries (don't get them here in the US that I know of) - they are very reminiscent of the tobacco commercials that were eventually banned here and I wonder if they don't give the vapers a bad twist. Its hard enough here to convince folks that vaping is not a tobacco produce, they hear/see the 'cig' part and to them that means its an unadulterated tobacco products - just a high tech one.

I have had people swear they can smell the 'tobacco' smoke, complain that I am just cutting in with semantics and that adding an e to the name does not change the health hazard or the the second hand smoke and its just the same as smoking. Usually a good bit of education makes them realize its not but they still, even when it's fully explained to them they get hung up on the 'cig' part.

I know that the name 'e-cig' was used by the manufacturer as a way to attract smokers to the alternative but lets face it 'cigarette' carries a bad connotation and there is many a bureaucrats and tobacco backed lobbyist that swears its splitting hairs and one is the same as the other and should be as regulated, controlled and banned from public as the other.

Adding advertising that reminds the public of the heyday of tobacco company advertising I feel will make it harder to convince the public its not the same.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I wondered about some of the e-cig commercials I have seen from other countries (don't get them here in the US that I know of) - they are very reminiscent of the tobacco commercials that were eventually banned here and I wonder if they don't give the vapers a bad twist. Its hard enough here to convince folks that vaping is not a tobacco produce, they hear/see the 'cig' part and to them that means its an unadulterated tobacco products - just a high tech one.

I have had people swear they can smell the 'tobacco' smoke, complain that I am just cutting in with semantics and that adding an e to the name does not change the health hazard or the the second hand smoke and its just the same as smoking. Usually a good bit of education makes them realize its not but they still, even when it's fully explained to them they get hung up on the 'cig' part.

I know that the name 'e-cig' was used by the manufacturer as a way to attract smokers to the alternative but lets face it 'cigarette' carries a bad connotation and there is many a bureaucrats and tobacco backed lobbyist that swears its splitting hairs and one is the same as the other and should be as regulated, controlled and banned from public as the other.

Adding advertising that reminds the public of the heyday of tobacco company advertising I feel will make it harder to convince the public its not the same.
While I can't disagree with any of that, it seems to me that exhaling vapor is the thing that freaks them out the most.

XeniaMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Xenia, Ohio
While I can't disagree with any of that, it seems to me that exhaling vapor is the thing that freaks them out the most.

:laugh: so true! I'm wondering if it's "That guy is enjoying something...I'm not enjoying anything...KILL!" Lately it seems people can't stand to see their fellow man enjoying anything.

CookingWithGuns

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Blu's and other cigalikes imo give personal vaporizers and other "e cigs" a bad name, no matter how much awareness for pv's they create.

This attitude is something I run into too often among vapers, and IMO it does more harm than good. The more people that come over to vaping, the better chance it'll stay only lightly regulated. On top of that, many of us need a cigalike to be able to vape in certain places or at work.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
This attitude is something I run into too often among vapers, and IMO it does more harm than good. The more people that come over to vaping, the better chance it'll stay only lightly regulated. On top of that, many of us need a cigalike to be able to vape in certain places or at work.

I think most of us probably started with BLU or a similar product. Maybe some were just smarter than I, and went straight to advanced vaping.
Regardless of how well a flashlight-sized mod may perform, they seem a little obnoxious to use in public.

CookingWithGuns

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I think most of us probably started with BLU or a similar product. Maybe some were just smarter than I, and went straight to advanced vaping.
Regardless of how well a flashlight-sized mod may perform, they seem a little obnoxious to use in public.

Bingo. Especially being able to let it mouth hang while driving. Quitting smoking for me wasn't an issue, however I would kill for one when stuck in traffic or driving long distance.

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
Lol it's banned in singapore because "people disposed of gum incorrectly by sticking it under places like chairs or tables." It's presciption only for "therapeutic" use.

"Chewing gum was causing serious maintenance problems in high-rise public housing flats, with vandals disposing of spent gum in mailboxes, inside keyholes and even on elevator buttons. Chewing gum left on floors, stairways and pavements in public areas increased the cost of cleaning and damaged cleaning equipment. Gum stuck on the seats of public buses was also considered a problem." LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Oh No,Gum !

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
:laugh: so true! I'm wondering if it's "That guy is enjoying something...I'm not enjoying anything...KILL!" Lately it seems people can't stand to see their fellow man enjoying anything.

No one's allowed to do anything anymore. I heard on the radio a while back that a guy was forced to remove his American flag from his office cubicle. Apparently a few immigrants who worked there said it was offensive because they felt like he was throwing his American-ness in their faces. The guy had 2 kids serving in Afghanistan or Iraq at the time.

Before people here get all worked up, father is an immigrant. My step-father is an immigrant. My maternal grandparents were immigrants. And for the record, not a single one of them found hanging up the American flag offensive.

There's waaaay too much idiotness in this world. No matter what you do, people think it's their god-given right to complain when something doesn't fit into the way they think the world should be. Live and let live is dead.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
No one's allowed to do anything anymore. I heard on the radio a while back that a guy was forced to remove his American flag from his office cubicle. Apparently a few immigrants who worked there said it was offensive because they felt like he was throwing his American-ness in their faces. The guy had 2 kids serving in Afghanistan or Iraq at the time.
So this is the America I live in now? How far have we fallen?

JR 137

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Albany, NY, USA
So this is the America I live in now? How far have we fallen?

It's not how far we've fallen; it's how low we've sunk.

It's one thing if the guy was being a bigot and waving his flag around telling people to go back home. By all accounts, that's not what happened. If that was the case, it should be 'get out and take your flag with you.' The guy just hung up a flag in his cubicle in honor of his kids.

It'll seem like Im supporting the company, but it's not the case. One thing was missing...

In a way I can see why the company asked him to take it down. I can't remember what company it was, but it was a national company. They were afraid of a lawsuit. They were afraid of the negative publicity. They were afraid people were going to say they created a hostile environment. They were afraid of racist allegations.

We as a society (not individuals) have created that fear. Everyone sues for everything. Rather than try to fight it and win, yet lose money and public opinion, companies are used to settling and making things go away.

I guess the guy's immediate supervisor supported him, but his supervisor (who was American) made him take it down. A corporate memo went out telling everyone to take them down if there's any complaints. What they didn't count on was employees and administrators going to the media. The media had a field day with it for a day until the company reversed its decision.

What was lacking in the whole thing, above anything else, was common sense. And for the people who were offended, they forgot two things: They most likely didn't have the freedom to complain about ridiculousness where they came from; the guy who "offended" them's kids were fighting to protect their right to complain about ridiculousness.

I used to work at a college where the students were some of the most outspoken young idiots I've ever seen (actually they were extremely intelligent, but very naive). Back when it was somehow cool to turn your back to the flag when the anthem was played, the administration decided to remove the flag and not play the anthem. They did it in a shady way and most didn't notice. Their rationale was they didn't want ESPN and the mass media attention if it happened there, as 2 or 3 schools got some bad publicity for students doing this. I get it, but they didn't take my advice - when it happens (not if), you state that while you don't agree with their actions, you do however respect their freedom to do this. That's part of what makes this country great; being able to disrespect the people that gave you the freedom to do as you wish. They'd have been shot in a lot of other countries for this. Remember Tiananmen Square?

Why do they call it common sense if it's very uncommon?

Patriotic rant over.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I used to work at a college where the students were some of the most outspoken young idiots I've ever seen (actually they were extremely intelligent, but very naive).
Ah yes, I vaguely remember when I was a young, intelligent idiot back in my college days.
Young people often have no idea how much they don't know yet.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread