Will my mod explode if I do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshd09

Aug 22, 2014
Sylacauga, AL USA
The mvp just has a ridiculous battery and will last longer then most other VV/VW devices i think. And as long as you are using those batteries in a regulated mod you shouldnt have problems like that. What resistance are you using on your rda? Make sure you stay well under your batteries amp limit with your build and you should be fine. Generally on my dna30 the battery just wont fire if I have a coil with a reistance under .5-.6.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
High wattage DNA-type circuit boards require a minimum of 12 amps continuous discharge in the battery. They also require a high drain battery. http://www.evolvapor.com/datasheet/dna30.pdf

The NCR18650A 3100 mah and NCR18650B 3400 mah batteries from Panasonic and Orbtronics have only a 6 amp continuous discharge rating. They also are not high drain batteries. Not an optimal choice for your rig.

Any of the true 20 - 30 amp IMR or IMR hybrid batteries will be a good choice:

Battery Basics for Mods

Last edited:

Sthur

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Denver
I wouldn't use the panny 3400 due to tw only a 6.8 amp limit. Who know you forget what battery and pop a 0.5 ohm build and risk blowing the device.

Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh Battery - Flat Top - eVic

I dropped a purple efest 3100 20amp in mine. Mire wiggle room and power then vtc5.

Efest IMR 18650 battery 20A purple efest 18650 3100mah 3.7V rechargeable battery -Efest battery for E-cigs

Plus bad's blog fir mire options.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected-icr.html

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
The DNA30 manufacturers suggest AW IMR for 20 watt and under vaping, and a 30 amp battery for 20+ watts. This is straight from the instruction manual. Get yourself an authentic VTC5 if you don't already have one, and learn very well how to spot clones, because VTC5's are being cloned. I acquired a couple authentics on ebay, and they do just fine at .37 on my Reo

Joshd09

Aug 22, 2014
Sylacauga, AL USA
High wattage DNA-type circuit boards require a minimum of 12 amps continuous discharge in the battery. They also require a high drain battery. http://www.evolvapor.com/datasheet/dna30.pdf

The NCR18650A 3100 mah and NCR18650B 3400 mah batteries from Panasonic and Orbtronics have only a 6 amp continuous discharge rating. They also are not high drain batteries. Not an optimal choice for your rig.

Any of the true 20 - 30 amp IMR or IMR hybrid batteries will be a good choice:

Battery Basics for Mods

Can you recommend a higher mah battery that would be suitable? I would really just like my battery to last at least all day when i'm only vaping at 8-12 watts on a 1.8 ohm coil.

In response to the earlier question, my rda has 0.8 ohm dual coils

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

That 20 amp purple Efest 3100 mah battery is said to have only a 4 - 6 amp continuous discharge rating. Therefore its not a high drain battery either.

Purple Efest Batteries Not As Advertised

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Can you recommend a higher mah battery that would be suitable? I would really just like my battery to last at least all day when i'm only vaping at 8-12 watts on a 1.8 ohm coil.

In response to the earlier question, my rda has 0.8 ohm dual coils

That's not likely gonna happen. You've been using the top battery with a high amp rating and reasonable mah capacity in the Sony VTC series.

I suggest the LG18650HE2 2500 mah 20 amp battery, the Samsung INR18650-25R 2500mAh 20 amp battery, Orbtronic 18650 SX22 2000mAh 22 amp battery, or the Orbtronic 18650 2500mAh 21A battery. These may give you more battery time.

That's not likely gonna happen. You've been using the top battery with a high amp rating and reasonable mah capacity in the Sony VTC series.

I suggest the LG18650HE2 2500 mah 20 amp battery, the Samsung INR18650-25R 2500mAh 20 amp battery, Orbtronic 18650 SX22 2000mAh 22 amp battery, or the Orbtronic 18650 2500mAh 21A battery. These may give you more battery time.

It's not likely using the 1.8 ohm tanks or the 0.8ohm rda?

I know it wont work with the rda. I'm lucky to get an hour or two out of the sony's at 25+ watts.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
It's not likely using the 1.8 ohm tanks or the 0.8ohm rda?

I know it wont work with the rda. I'm lucky to get an hour or two out of the sony's at 25+ watts.

Have you considered stopping to breath between Vapes :lol::lol::lol:

I get 2+ hours out of an Efest 18350 on a Nemesis dripping at .5ohms:blink:

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
Hi JoshD09 =)

If you use this Ohm's Law Calculator and you plug in the Voltage of the battery and the ohm rating of your coil; the calculator will give you the other related numbers.

So long as the current number does not exceed the Maximum Continuous discharge rate for your battery, you should be fine. (note: most IMRs are 3.7v but we use 4.2v because a fully charged battery will have 4.2 available volts)

Coils at ohms below zero have very little resistance and will drain the battery at a higher rate. You do not want to exceed the amps or the maximum continuous discharge rate for your battery.

All of this I have learned by listening to and reading blogs from people like Baditude and many of my smarter friends, Be safe, know your batteries limits and when it doubt, calculate it out!

There are guys in here who have been doing this for so long they can flip these numbers in their heads, But I figured I would give you a way to safely calculate this for yourself. Happy vaping! :vapor:

Check out Baditude's blogs...there are a bunch on batteries, Ohm's law, coil building for beginners and tons of other great stuff.

Edit: Rut Roh Raggy it looks like I provided an over-simplified answer and the experts are already on the case.

Last edited:
Hi JoshD09 =)

If you use this Ohm's Law Calculator and you plug in the Voltage of the battery and the ohm rating of your coil; the calculator will give you the other related numbers.

So long as the current number does not exceed the Maximum Continuous discharge rate for your battery, you should be fine. (note: most IMRs are 3.7v but we use 4.2v because a fully charged battery will have 4.2 available volts)

Coils at ohms below zero have very little resistance and will drain current from the battery at a higher rate. You do not want to exceed the amps or the maximum continuous discharge rate for your battery.

All of this I have learned by listening to and reading blogs from people like Baditude and many of my smarter friends, Be safe, know your batteries limits and when it doubt, calculate it out! Screenshot (38).jpg

There are guys in here who have been doing this for so long they can flip these numbers in their heads, But I figured I would give you a way to safely calculate this for yourself. Happy vaping! :vapor:

Check out Baditude's blogs...there are a bunch on batteries, Ohm's law, coil building for beginners and tons of other great stuff.

Edit: Rut Roh Raggy it looks like I provided an over-simplified answer and the experts are already on the case.

ok, i don't quite understand the amps part. is that how many amps my battery requires?
Screenshot (38).jpg

well you can't really see it, but it says 2.12 amps

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Geekville, USA
ok, i don't quite understand the amps part. is that how many amps my battery requires?
View attachment 373851

well you can't really see it, but it says 2.12 amps

Yeah I really can't see it all that well.But if you entered 4.2 in Volts and 2 ohms in resistance, that looks right. So you are no where near exceeding the amps or max discharge rate of your battery. =)

Current is Amps...

It is how many amps are used for that resistance and voltage in your build. You want a battery with more capacity than what you plan to draw from it. As the guys have said you are safe there.

Where the current number becomes important is when you see that a build is going to require more than the maximum continuous discharge rate of your battery. At that point you either get a higher amp/discharge rate battery or you raise the resistance of your coil.

This is from Baditude's blog on the Purple Efest batteries but it explains the Max discharge rating better than I can...

"Continuous Discharge Ratings vs Pulse (Burst) Discharge Ratings

The "continuous discharge rating" in amps is the standard specification for amp limits within the battery industry. It is a determination made by the manufacturer and represents the amp limit a battery can be safely used before it will fail.

The "pulse or burst" discharge rating is not a specification standard within the battery industry. Every manufacturer or vendor seems to have their own definition of what the pulse rating is.

A pulse discharge rating is any use above the continuous discharge rating. It is never safe and not within the intended operating parameters of the battery. You should not operate your device above the continuous rating if you can help it. The pulse rating is a condition in which the battery is on basically a buildup to failure. It is exceeding the sustainable and intended discharge rate of the battery. It is inappropriate for a consumer device to operate in the pulse range of its battery.

Which would be why we shouldn't rely on any pulse rating. Any failure, mechanical or electronic, that fires the mod will operate in the 'continuous' mode. If your setup relies on a pulse rating, it's instantly over spec.

If your amp draw is safely in the continuous discharge range, your coil could act almost like a fuse and burn out before the battery is stressed. If you are already running the battery at the edge of it's limits (pulse), there is no margin of safety."

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    There is an easy way to get more charge life out of your battery, use a higher ohm coil!

If you want that huge cloud of wasted e-liquid floating around, you need to pay for it.

I pretty much vape all day long, use up 3-4ml of juice, and an 18490 lasts all day. On average I recharge 1.5 AW IMR 18490 batteries/day.

All of these are running on that same little 18490.
    P1000839_zps6cdd544a.jpg

Learn how to vape at low amps, and the battery problems pretty much take care of themselves.

Last edited:

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    Geekville, USA
    In addition to the excellent advice given by the advanced members here, I found this site to be very helpful in my quest for information about the various ratings of available batteries Battery mAh & C Rating = amp Calculator scroll down for specific battery info.

Man! Gandy :)

I didn't see the battery drop down the first time...that is cool! Do you know if it is factoring on Maximum Continuous Discharge Rate?

Bassnorma

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    Geekville, USA
    At the top of the chart you will see that it has a column for Continuous Discharge Rate and one for Maximum Discharge Rate in amps. I don't see Maximum Continuous Discharge Rate.

hmmmm.....something to research...love the tool though!

I don't see a chart btw...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread