Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
If a product is used for something that is not a nicotine product,
YOU think that because it COULD be used for a nicotine product,
that the Product is then controlled entirely
by the entity that has dominion over Nicotine Products only.

Sottera Court says you are wrong.
How about any existing similar example of this theory of yours???????

Sottera? :facepalm: Deeming puts tobacco, nicotine and ecigs under FDA's jurisdiction.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Roger, I agree, but the question was: "Will it survive?" not "Will it be approved by the FDA?" :laugh:

If there's demand for a product, there will be a supply; "authorities" may wish it were otherwise, but it isn't.

Regulated or not, we're all going to look back at $1-$2 / ml as "the good 'ol days".

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Roger, I agree, but the question was: "Will it survive?" not "Will it be approved by the FDA?" :laugh:

If there's demand for a product, there will be a supply; "authorities" may wish it were otherwise, but it isn't.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Q was "Will it survive the FDA?" :)

ANyway, all I was saying is that it's just another kind of e-liquid as far as the FDA is concerned. And quite likely if e-liquid survives, so will WTA. I can't think of a scenario in which one is commercially available on the open market, but the other one isn't. Can you?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Seems to me the WTA makers are very small operations. Depending on just how high the FDA holds its (flaming) hoops, I could see a scenario where some of the big players in regular liquid would be able to jump through them, while the smaller ones (including the WTA makers) obviously can't and refuse to even try.

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
I think the fact that the vaping community is still debating WTA and NET's is proof enough that the FDA needs to hold off on major e-liquid regulations. There's a lack of maturity in the industry and among consumers. They need to stick to warning labels (not just addiction warnings but poisoning warnings), child-proof caps, and adults only purchases. I don't even think they should try regulating diacetyl, since that is also used in conventional cigarettes and the science of how harmful it is in low doses is open to debate. Restricting consumer choice at this point could just ensure the dominance of conventional cigarettes and the minimization of electronic cigs for some time.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I think the fact that the vaping community is still debating WTA and NET's is proof enough that the FDA needs to hold off on major e-liquid regulations. There's a lack of maturity in the industry and among consumers. They need to stick to warning labels (not just addiction warnings but poisoning warnings), child-proof caps, and adults only purchases. I don't even think they should try regulating diacetyl, since that is also used in conventional cigarettes and the science of how harmful it is in low doses is open to debate. Restricting consumer choice at this point could just ensure the dominance of conventional cigarettes and the minimization of electronic cigs for some time.

Is there any evidence that the FDA give's a rat's a.. what we think?

If we can get one million vapers to joins & support CASAA, they would pay attention. Unfortunately we have not been successful in getting the 20,000 active ECF members to join and support CASAA. But we have to keep trying.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Seems to me the WTA makers are very small operations. Depending on just how high the FDA holds its (flaming) hoops, I could see a scenario where some of the big players in regular liquid would be able to jump through them, while the smaller ones (including the WTA makers) obviously can't and refuse to even try.

Fair enough. Although I have little hope for any type of regular e-liquid - no matter what (as others have said).

I'm curious now. Maybe I'll order some WTA just for laughs. Might as well see what it's all about before it goes away.

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Fair enough. Although I have little hope for any type of regular e-liquid - no matter what (as others have said).

I'm curious now. Maybe I'll order some WTA just for laughs. Might as well see what it's all about before it goes away.

I have tried all 3 I could find. First choice Aroma (also pricy) but Really good. Second would be Mothers Milk, different flavor, but not bad. Third choice, NONE IMHO, won't go there on the third vender, JMHO if you can't say something good, don't say anything at all.

Vape On
Burnie
:vapor:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA

Hah! That's how I got started vaping. Late last year I came across a number of articles lamenting how the FDA wasn't doing its job by not having regulated "e-cigs" yet, so I thought to myself: Maybe I should check this out before the government ruins it? I didn't intend to quite smoking; I figured I'd just see how much of my 2 PAD habit I could replace. Well, it ended up being all of it in under a week, and the WTA definitely helped.

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
Hah! That's how I got started vaping. Late last year I came across a number of articles lamenting how the FDA wasn't doing its job by not having regulated "e-cigs" yet, so I thought to myself: Maybe I should check this out before the government ruins it? I didn't intend to quite smoking; I figured I'd just see how much of my 2 PAD habit I could replace. Well, it ended up being all of it in under a week, and the WTA definitely helped.

Stories like that need to be presented to the FDA, because the mainstream media just are not talking about them.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yes, I'm familiar with much of what Dvap and others have written on the subject, 'cause I also use some WTA. I know it's a complicated process. But put it in perspective: How much more or less complicated would it be to extract purified nicotine?

Nobody even tries to extract pure nicotine themselves because it's done commercially on an industrial scale, which makes pure nicotine readily available at low cost. We know that nicotine itself is an alkaloid too, just like the other, minor alkaloids in WTA, which are presumably considered impurities when nicotine is extracted on an industrial scale. Thus my sense is that WTA is what you get when you extract alkaloids from tobacco and pure nicotine is obtained by further processing WTA to remove the "impurities".

True--but this is just the first step. Then comes the tough part. :D

Seriously, I'm not qualified to discuss the process. All I can speak of with some degree of certainty is how the WTA eliquids affect me. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
How can WTA not be allowed as it is actually a tobacco product?

There is a minority in the vaping community that are opposed to using whole tobacco alkaloid. AEMSA, for instance, a trade group representing several e-liquid manufaturers. If the FDA used their standards as guidelines, we wouldn't be allowed to buy anything but USP nicotine.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How can WTA not be allowed as it is actually a tobacco product?
The way the proposed regs are written, if something is a "new" tobacco product -- meaning there was no "Substantially Equivalent" product on the market in 2007 -- then whomever wishes to make/sell that product must submit an application to have their product "Approved" by the FDA within two years of the regulations being finalized, otherwise the product is not allowed.

OK, all your favorite WTA vendor has to do is file such an application, right? Well.. Best guesses are that preparing and filing such an application will cost a 6 figure amount at minimum, and possibly as much as 8 figures. Of course there's NO guarantee that the application will be approved; the FDA can very well say, "You need to do more studies, come back when you have more info".

So do you think any of the existing WTA makers are able or willing to make that kind of an investment in red tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread