wire recommendation please

Status
Not open for further replies.

gzin44

Verified Member
Jun 18, 2012
Glasford,Il
I have only used kanthal for over 4 years. I was thinking of trying something different but not sure which way I should go. I am not one of those that use 200w mods and actually rarely hit 50w. The way OI make my own fluid it is usually best between 40-50w. Should I just stick with my dual coils at .3-.5ohms in my ijoy tornado or would ss 316 or ss ribbon be better flavor?

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
SS316L would be a huge drop down for you in resistance, as it is roughly 1/2 the resistance of the same gauge Kanthal wire. It does heat quickly, and can be used with normal wattage or in temp control, as long as the device supports SS TC.

So to get coils with similar resistance, you would need to build them twice as many wraps or drop the gauge of the wire down a bit.

As far as better flavor, that is pretty subjective. I use Kanthal A-1, SS316L and Nichrome 80, and basically they all taste the same to me. What decides the type of wire I use in a given coil is what resistance I want, how large the coil can be (I have a few larger RDAs that let me chase the large surface area coils) and finally, how "complicated" the coil is. Wanting coils that ramp up faster at a lower wattage than Kanthal led me to SS316L first, but sometimes those came out too low for my personal preference, so I added Nichrome 80 to my wire collection to get a midway point between Kanthal and SS as far as both resistance and ramp up time go.

When building on a mech, I can use SS, put in more wraps than I would with Kanthal or Nichrome, so i get a larger surface area, but the resistance stays low, and with the faster ramp, even a single battery mech can heat (for example) dual claptons easily. For regulated devices, it is all about how much room I have to build with. I can pick whatever I feel fits the situation best.

But I don't have the most sensitive taste buds, there are those say they taste a difference. Frankly, I wouldn't mind being one of those people, it might make DIY easier for me and I would waste less time trying to get my mixes right. :D

gzin44

Verified Member
Jun 18, 2012
Glasford,Il
Thank you for your response. I figure I can go 28/32 316l and still use dual at about .35ohm but do not want to get lower as I would have to use just one device and my work mod is an innokin disrupter and is only 50w max. It is so durable and I have broke too many others I stick with it. I also want to make coils that I can use for all my mods that is why I cant go below that target as I dont want to have to keep remembering what I can use with what and have to keep rewicking to use the juice I want to use at that time. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the trouble making them out of ss316l or if I should go core ss316l and wrap with a1.
I just want to explore other options and try new things to see if there is something I will prefer.

Reactions: Taowulf

gzin44

Verified Member
Jun 18, 2012
Glasford,Il
Thanks I did the research on the difference in ss316 and A1. I built my first claptons and hit them at .48ohms which is about exactly where I wanted them. I can now see why all the fuss over these coils. The same juice taste much better and the clouds (I am not a cloud chaser) are much fuller if that's a word. It was definitely worth the time spent researching and trying them. Next I try to make some fused claptons and see if there is any difference with those. At 45 watts it is very satisfying.

Reactions: Taowulf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread