Wire Rope for Wick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anskyboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Texas
i'm a fool and a liar. in my excitement to get my photos up, i didn't write the proper thing.

you're absolutely right, it is the xs18, not the xc16. not sure what the xc16 is at all. not sure what I was typing...

xs116 frayed all over the place so I had to use the xs18. sorry for the confusion.. though it was 100% unintentional, phew.

XfooYen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
SoCal
i'm a fool and a liar. in my excitement to get my photos up, i didn't write the proper thing.

you're absolutely right, it is the xs18, not the xc16. not sure what the xc16 is at all. not sure what I was typing...

xs116 frayed all over the place so I had to use the xs18. sorry for the confusion.. though it was 100% unintentional, phew.

OK. Thanks. XC is ceramic heat treated fiber, aka Nextel. XS is silica thread. They are similar but the XC is more resilient. Vendors who sell the XC are out of stock which is why I asked.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
I fit a small piece of 1/16 nextel over a 3/32 7*7 ss rope..

After cutting my wicks I soften the edge with a dremel so the top of the ss rope is rounded. Then just worked the xc over it gently. Just enough to wrap a coil on. Once I got about 1cm on the rope I wrapped a small piece of kanthal around the xc and snipped just above the wick. Wrapped my coil, removed the first wire, vaped my head off. Best vape yet.

I was feeling adventurous and stacked 2 awimr350's both reading exactly 4.21v.. wow.. not for me, lol.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
I have some XC116 but do not have access to a kiln. Can I just flame it with a blow torch and be safe to use on wire rope?

Thanks for the help!

Steve

LOTS of heat. Like with a full sized torch it takes a few minutes to do a couple inches. Burn it until it GLOWS white, and the burn it some more. Get rid of all the green flame.

burnie71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
South Australia
So as I move forward here, it seems like the best SS Mesh wick is one made with 500 mesh wound VERY tight, as solid as possible.

It lead me to thinking, has anyone tried SS wire rope before? Stranded wire rope should work kind of like silica rope, but made of SS. With a high enough strand count, there should be decent capillary action. It also has the advantage of continuous "channels" running axially along the wick. With mesh, juice has to jump from "cell" to cell in the mesh, jumping over solid wire or between layers of mesh. With wire rope, it's free to continuously wick upwards. Also - no more rolling, just cut your piece of wick, oxidize, and insert.

I found this, which seems like a good fit for my AGA-T+:McMaster-Carr item 8908T64. It's 3/32", so would fit well into the stock wick hole. Boring the wick hole out to 1/8" would allow 8908T48 to fit, giving me 133 strands instead of the 49 strands in the 3/32" material, (more, smaller strands should equal better wicking).

Before I blow $10 to $15 on a flight of fancy....has this been done? I can find only a single reference to it on ECF, and no follow up, just someone suggesting it...

A big thank you for bringing this subject up, after reading through this thread I am now a dedicated user of Wire Rope as a wick....Fantastic..:vapor:

crss

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Mar 19, 2013
    dev/null
    cant keep mine from shorting no matter how much I oxidize them.

I had the same outcome first 2 coils i tride on the ss wire. Read back a few pages, you will find (insulators, diappers, cotton) suggestions to help with proper coil set up. Nextel , xc & xs .. so much information.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread