Wire suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinksfloppyears

Jun 12, 2019
South Texas
Was lucky enough to pick up a Berserker v1.5 off the ebays this weekend (sorry to the person I was bidding against), and it so happened to come with three spools of wire. I've coiled the SS and installed it on said Berserker and it ohms out at .8 and I've really been enjoying it (happens to be my first build too).
So I wondered what other folks have used and what they like. Anybody have any suggestions on what to use next. For reference, I'm vaping 25mg nic-salt, and am really looking for vape density and flavor combination.
IMG_3008.JPG

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ni80 is nickel. A lot of people are allergic to it. You may or may not have any issues. It is usable in TC only and can’t be dry burned safely because of various oxides that form at high temperatures iirc. My memory on the exact issues is vague. Kanthal can only be used in wattage mode.

UPDATE: @Wayneo points out that Ni80 is nichrome not nickel. He is correct. It’s much like kanthal but older. Still has the allergy problem but to a far lesser degree. People do dry burn it. Kanthal basically killed off nichrome long ago before even my time and I tend to confuse them. Sorry. Some people do claim Ni80 tastes better.

I don’t think you will see much change from using the other included wires. Some people say the prefer the flavor of Ni80 though.

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Of the three types of wire you received, I would lean to the SS316L. In my learned experience, SS offers the cleanest flavor for your liquid. Others will agree or disagree. Vaping is an individual preference thing, ya know.

With the high nic salts, you won't be inclined to "chuck clouds", so single strand 28ga is ideal for an RDA. My experience with nic salts is zilch, though, so other's advice should be valued there. If you were inclined to chuck clouds, I'd definitely look at some other "exotic" type Clapton wires.

Congratulations on the effort to learn coil building! It wasn't even an option when I started vaping

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Vape density isn't something you typically go for with a high mg nic salt. That much vapor will make you feel pretty crappy. The Berserker is also a mouth to lung rta so it's not geared for vapor production or density either. That said, you can get good flavor out of the tank.

Going with a simple round build of any of those 3 wires will work well for you. Is this on a regulated mod? You should be fine with a resistance of 0.i ohm or higher. Remember if you build with SS the resistance will VW lower fir the same number of wraps as the Kanthal or Nichrome. You can use Steam-engine.org to help you with figuring out your coil wrapping as you decide what resistance coil you want to build. If course double check with your ohmmeter or mod that the coil in fact is very close to what was calculated.

Tinksfloppyears

Jun 12, 2019
South Texas
Vape density isn't something you typically go for with a high mg nic salt. That much vapor will make you feel pretty crappy. The Berserker is also a mouth to lung rta so it's not geared for vapor production or density either. That said, you can get good flavor out of the tank.

Going with a simple round build of any of those 3 wires will work well for you. Is this on a regulated mod? You should be fine with a resistance of 0.i ohm or higher. Remember if you build with SS the resistance will VW lower fir the same number of wraps as the Kanthal or Nichrome. You can use Steam-engine.org to help you with figuring out your coil wrapping as you decide what resistance coil you want to build. If course double check with your ohmmeter or mod that the coil in fact is very close to what was calculated.

Yup, I’m on a regulated mod. Not looking for cloud chucking, but I am looking for good cloud density. I’ve been on a three year search for the perfect mtl experience for me. The berserker has gotten the closest, though it might just be honeymoon emotions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I've been playing around a little bit with TC with the ss coil, and its been nice, not sure how I can really maximize the experience other than dialing in the temperature that I like.
That’s about all there is. The advantage of TC is mostly safety (assuming you run under 460f) and enhanced coil and wick life (again assuming lower temps)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I've been playing around a little bit with TC with the ss coil, and its been nice, not sure how I can really maximize the experience other than dialing in the temperature that I like.

If you really want to be safe, do not exceed 420°F. That figure is somewhat controversial, but I've seen evidence of bad stuff being created in higher temps, so I usually start at 360 or so and, say, 25 watts, and take it from there. YMMV, as always. :)

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Yup, I’m on a regulated mod. Not looking for cloud chucking, but I am looking for good cloud density. I’ve been on a three year search for the perfect mtl experience for me. The berserker has gotten the closest, though it might just be honeymoon emotions.

I have the ‘old’ Berserker which is quite similar, and I only use it with TC enabled. That basically gives me two choices: SS316 and NI200. Of the 2, I have a slight preference for NI200, the wire is softer, hence easier to make coils with, and I kind of prefer the taste too (but not by much).
But I do get very dense clouds, and I thought this was due to my high VG juices? How much VG (percentage) do you have in your juices? If it’s low, you could consider buying pure VG and adding a little to your juices. (I’m not 100% sure about that, but it’s what I read: more VG=more vapor)

I have the ‘old’ Berserker which is quite similar, and I only use it with TC enabled. That basically gives me two choices: SS316 and NI200. Of the 2, I have a slight preference for NI200, the wire is softer, hence easier to make coils with, and I kind of prefer the taste too (but not by much).
But I do get very dense clouds, and I thought this was due to my high VG juices? How much VG (percentage) do you have in your juices? If it’s low, you could consider buying pure VG and adding a little to your juices. (I’m not 100% sure about that, but it’s what I read: more VG=more vapor)

I’m using 70/30, and I can’t pretend I’m disappointed, both the juice and tank have been performing great, considering I’d been on MTL pod systems for the last few years. Anything from Sourins to mipods, etc.. these rta’s really change the whole experience for the better.

Reactions: Eskie

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
I’m using 70/30, and I can’t pretend I’m disappointed, both the juice and tank have been performing great, considering I’d been on MTL pod systems for the last few years. Anything from Sourins to mipods, etc.. these rta’s really change the whole experience for the better.

I’m using 70-30 too, but I add about 20-30 water (depending on strength of the taste of the juice) to make it flow a little better. Is it possible that sometimes your tank can’t keep up with how fast you’re vaping, and that’s when the clouds lack density? Is there a difference in cloud density if you let it sit for a few of minutes between draws instead of drawing on it several times one after another?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Sounds like you're doing everything right. If you decide to play with TC more, while there is the safety issue of not getting the coil too hot to increase the production of nasty crap, it also makes for a very smooth vape. Of course that depends how you vape. I like a longer draw, so with TC it's not going to be too hot at the end of a 6 or 7 second draw. But that's as not a common draw for mtl, so from that perspective it's less useful for the experience. But if you like long pulls that get a little too toasty after several seconds, TC will handle that. It also protects you from a dry wick and a dry hit, not to be underestimated.

It nice you have all 3 to try out to see what you like. Be aware that after your experimental phase, you can dry burn the coils when you change your wicks (go a little light on that with the SS just short pulses and glowing a low orange, white hit isn't good for the metal). You can get a coil to last you several months before you need to change it because it just won't clean up, you bent it too much wicking it, or you're just plain bored and want something to do. That much wire will last you many years unless you start the down the dozen RTAs running and spinning fancy wire path, in which case you're still set for a few years, although you might want some other gauge wire (if you spin you need really thin 32-36G for the wrap). But for a mtl tank like that or others complex coils are just not a good match and you're best off doing what you currently are. Have fun with it!

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread