wire type equivalence for coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAP8

Aug 4, 2014
Beijing
I am having a bit of trouble in finding the types of wires discussed about in here and other sites, nothing I have access to in China is referred to in the same way.
One online shop sells Kanthal wire, but has no info as to its other characteristics, like diameter, resistance per length, composition etc...

None of what you folks use in describing the wires is used in China, and I can't figure out what makes micro coils what they are. What is a micro coil?

I've bought 0.2mm and 0.3mm wire without knowing more about them than their diameters, experimented with that and based my coiling on the feedback I got while vaping, as well as the Ohm readings. I stopped using the 0.3 though (not enough resistance and tough to manipulate).

last I bought was a 0.2mm wire which indicated the composition (Cr20Ni80), however, I don't what it relates to, is it anything you guys use?.

propofokgov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
www.about.me
Here's a fact sheet posted from the following thread ( http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518419
MICRO COILS - Selecting the right gauge wire to hit your target resistance) that talks about what makes a micro coil.

f1195b859214e3f284e85471684d8d30.jpg

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
And suddenly I have something to go by~ I got the answer to the question I didn't know how to ask, thanks guys! :)

(I guess the outside diameter range in metric units is a typo, should be 0.14 to 0.165 in mm)
VAP8,

That outside diameter is for the coil not for the wire itself!!!

And for your original wire:
.2 mm is 32 gauge
.3mm is about 28 gauge.

Also, your wire is Nichrome80, which is a different composition than the nichrome60 in the temco data sheet above.
Some say the Nichrome 80 gives a much better taste because there is no iron in it.

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
And suddenly I have something to go by~ I got the answer to the question I didn't know how to ask, thanks guys! :)

(I guess the outside diameter range in metric units is a typo, should be 0.14 to 0.165 in mm)

No, the sheet is correct unless your using cm.

A .14mm inside diameter would be impossible to achieve :)

Here's some more wire type experiments I did :)

bjSpX4p.jpg

VAP8

Aug 4, 2014
Beijing
That clarifies the micro-coil mystery for me. So micro refers to the coiling, not the wire.
The "Nichrome 80 giving better taste due to no iron" bit is what the on-line vendors boast, can't say without comparing with the Nichrome 60.
So you guys talk in "gauge" to indicate the wire diameter? adding that to my vocabulary :)
Thanks for the diameter equivalence and experiment results, will save me trial time~ *&*

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
That clarifies the micro-coil mystery for me. So micro refers to the coiling, not the wire.
The "Nichrome 80 giving better taste due to no iron" bit is what the on-line vendors boast, can't say without comparing with the Nichrome 60.
So you guys talk in "gauge" to indicate the wire diameter? adding that to my vocabulary :)
Thanks for the diameter equivalence and experiment results, will save me trial time~ *&*

Yep, gauge refers to the size. This wikipedia article has a very useful table:
American wire gauge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VAP8

Aug 4, 2014
Beijing
I did my first micro-coil last night, as per info I received from you guys and this forum. I did it on my Russian.
28 gauge, 12 wraps, got me to 1.4 Ohms. It is indeed much easier and faster to coil with thicker wire sizes, (and also easier to practice acupuncture on oneself with them).
Surprisingly, it is very similar to the first coils I did when starting off, a few weeks back. I notice, however, that the glow is slower to come than the last coils I made till this one (higher resistance ~2.5 Ohms, bigger inner diameter, shorter length and thinner wires). I guess the glow is not indicative of the heat released, so I meshed it up with cotton wool, and vaped....
Note, this is not a dripping set up, it is a tank set-up.
I love the richer, thick and cool flavour I get at 5.5 watts, this is my sweet spot, in spite of the target 8+ watts everyone is doing and recommends.
consistent and yummy vape, this is.

Question: I am under the impression that micro-coils is used by most in dripping set-ups, just like sub-Ohming is, is that the case? or is micro-coils also used in tanks set-ups like I am doing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread