Wire talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Everything from simple Titanium 24awg to Ni80 Tsuka Framed Staples. But as of late, my preferred is…….

MESH.jpg

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Strictly 316L from Temco. I do occasionally wrap some claptons, but those are few and far between. As for resistances and gauges, I have everything from 20AWG all the way to 32AWG wire. I buy it by the pound so... yeah, wire for ages. I got a 1lb spool of 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, and 32. The big hoss (20AWG) and the 32AWG I bought by feet. Why not by the pound? Because after you get so large, you might as well not buy it by the pound anymore. You effectively get 350 feet of wire (roughly) and when you buy so small, 1lb of wire starts costing truckloads of cash. The other issue is finding 316L in even smaller gauges, so sometimes, if I want horsehair wire, I will buy a spool or 2 of some N80 or KA1, but I tend to avoid it and other wires at all costs.

Classic vaper

Jan 12, 2019
Strictly 316L from Temco. I do occasionally wrap some claptons, but those are few and far between. As for resistances and gauges, I have everything from 20AWG all the way to 32AWG wire. I buy it by the pound so... yeah, wire for ages. I got a 1lb spool of 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, and 32. The big hoss (20AWG) and the 32AWG I bought by feet. Why not by the pound? Because after you get so large, you might as well not buy it by the pound anymore. You effectively get 350 feet of wire (roughly) and when you buy so small, 1lb of wire starts costing truckloads of cash. The other issue is finding 316L in even smaller gauges, so sometimes, if I want horsehair wire, I will buy a spool or 2 of some N80 or KA1, but I tend to avoid it and other wires at all costs.
I can agree with that.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I can agree with that.

Yeah, I mean, if I want super hot, super sub-ohm, build with 20, 22, or 24. If I want medium range, sub-ohm, build with 24, 26, and some 28. If I want higher resistances for tinkering, build with 28, 30, and 32.

The pricier stuff, I use sparingly. I have a couple 8oz spools of KA1 ribbon around here somewhere. That stuff costs an arm and a leg.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I know its 2019 and fancy coils are all the rage, but I stick to my wire builds I love and know. My favorite build especially on single tube mechs is now a 7 wrap 23g ss316 on a 3.5mm. What wire build do you guys like these days.

On a single mech that's a fine build. I'm pretty much the same on single battery mech squonks, but those are also 22 mm small chamber attys and anything more just doesn't vape right to me.

On regulated temp control or VW squonks then a fused Clapton variant works for me. Again, it depends on the atty and mod, single or dual coil decks. For VW squonking I'm usually around 0.3 ohm on the final build. In a dual coil RTA I could be from 0.15-0.4 ohm depending. Some juices just do better in some atty/build setups than others.

And I'm pretty well only 316L now for all my coils. Makes life easier than keeping track of "was that Kanthal, Nichrome, or SS I used?". Besides I'm used to what to expect from it so that part's easier, and TBH I never tasted any difference in use between them.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm extremely boring:

Smaller RTAs - ss316l 28 gauge, 2.25mm id, 5 full wraps slightly spaced - come out around 0.5ohm

Normal RTAs - ss316l 28 gauge, 2.5mm id, 5 full wraps slightly spaced - come out around 0.55ohm

But I live more dangerously with an RDA ;) - twisted kanthal 28 gauge, 5 wraps, 2.5mm id - comes out around 0.6ohm

Reactions: Fidola13

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    @OldBatty – slip of the mouse or you feel my poor humor justifies a X?
    I felt the same way and was going to disagree as well. I think it was an excellent attempt at humor, thus a red disagree X. Some things are just better left unsaid.
    Oh and it’s also my preference for heating my ejuice.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I felt the same way and was going to disagree as well. I think it was an excellent attempt at humor, thus a red disagree X. Some things are just better left unsaid.
    Oh and it’s also my preference for heating my ejuice.

Users tend to wield the red X like weapon when in conflict with each other, which makes it difficult to gauge the intentions behind receiving one. Especially when it is not followed up with a comment. I don’t know if I upset this individual with my post or, like you said, he felt my early comment was funny and he disagreed with me being my own critic.

Skunk!

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2014
    Las Vegas
    I use different wire for different applications. I have a 26ga SS 11 wrap in my salt mod. In my 18650 squonkers I have 2×28/40 SS 7 wrap single coils. My 21700 squonker has a 4 wrap hex core beast. Dual coil tanks have 5 wrap 3×28/38 SS. Most dual coil rdas have 5 wrap 4×28/40 SS. I have a pair of .14 SS Mohawks in my DR24 that I love.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread