Wizard EVOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
finally got the dna40 working in the wizard. using it with the wand, genny with temp control is pretty cool, vaping awesome so far :)

IMG_20141230_004734_zpsykpvrpwl.jpg

I've been wanting to upgrade my wizard to dna40 also. You mind sharing some tips / instructions? Maybe even a tutorial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I would consider that but not without marks approval. then there is also the issue of needing a milling machine to machine the delrin chip carrier.

I do have my other wizard that I'll be putting a 40 chip into eventually so I could document the procedure on that one, maybe I could even do that one with more basic tools like a dremel and a file just so more would be able to follow along, but yeah this is a bit challenging too and then I'd be sacrificing the perfection that a milling machine can give over just a dremel and a file. I may consider this though... also I actually broke 3 chips before successfully doing this one, partially because I was trying to use 16ga silver coated beryllium copper wiring which was way overkill, but also because getting the chip to slide in there is very tricky and these things are pretty delicate, just a wee bit too much pressure in the wrong place and it's lights out/game over, another dna40 down the drain... now I've refined the carrier to the point that the chip can be installed with no excess force in mine but it's still pretty tricky to do and it may take a few try's for you to do this even with guidance... breaking chips is not fun.

also keep in mind that I'm doing this on titanium wizards, not sure how much difference there may be on a ss apprentice mod, I don't have any wae's, only we's... not too many guys are going to be willing to take a dremel to a $500+ super rare mod, especially when chances are fairly high that you may damage something, this is far from a simple chip replacement, changing out dna 20's and 30's in the wizard is a piece of cake, the 40's are a different story though...

mark78

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
Bucharest Romania
www.markbugs.com
I would consider that but not without marks approval. then there is also the issue of needing a milling machine to machine the delrin chip carrier.

I do have my other wizard that I'll be putting a 40 chip into eventually so I could document the procedure on that one, maybe I could even do that one with more basic tools like a dremel and a file just so more would be able to follow along, but yeah this is a bit challenging too and then I'd be sacrificing the perfection that a milling machine can give over just a dremel and a file. I may consider this though... also I actually broke 3 chips before successfully doing this one, partially because I was trying to use 16ga silver coated beryllium copper wiring which was way overkill, but also because getting the chip to slide in there is very tricky and these things are pretty delicate, just a wee bit too much pressure in the wrong place and it's lights out/game over, another dna40 down the drain... now I've refined the carrier to the point that the chip can be installed with no excess force in mine but it's still pretty tricky to do and it may take a few try's for you to do this even with guidance... breaking chips is not fun.

also keep in mind that I'm doing this on titanium wizards, not sure how much difference there may be on a ss apprentice mod, I don't have any wae's, only we's... not too many guys are going to be willing to take a dremel to a $500+ super rare mod, especially when chances are fairly high that you may damage something, this is far from a simple chip replacement, changing out dna 20's and 30's in the wizard is a piece of cake, the 40's are a different story though...

Thank you!
Our next project on DNA40 it will come after the Chalice and Gem!
By the way, the Gem, at least the SS version we are trying to have it in April if everything will be just how we planned.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Thank you!
Our next project on DNA40 it will come after the Chalice and Gem!
By the way, the Gem, at least the SS version we are trying to have it in April if everything will be just how we planned.

:( It looks like the Gem slipped from Feb. to April
:) My birthday is in April. My husband will be happy when I tell him he doesn't have to worry about what to get me! :laugh:

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
Question for Mark. I know swapping to the DNA 40 chip is physically possible but challenging (plastic rails need to be machined out). Asides from physical, is there any technical reason it shouldn't be done? For example will the board not have enough breathing room and overheat since it will probably be pushing more current? I know someone already did it on a wizard mentioned earlier in this thread and I'm considering doing mine which is a WAE2. Would like to hear your opinion on that. Thanks.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I can chain vape it at 37 watts 430*f for an hour straight, drain an 18650 in a little over an hour with no issues, heat the atty up pretty good but no overheating of the chip.

very short wire runs in this mod, only 2 very short wires. 20 ga is working fine even up to 40 watts no problem since the wires are only ~1.5" long.

Juggernaut666

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
Dallas Tx.
Anyone with a wand recommend a build for me, gonna try several builds this weekend, all kanthal, shooting for 1.0 - 1.5 ohm, I have cotton, rayon, 500 SS mesh & SS cable, available.... what has been your favorite setup with the wand?

I love the thing, it's beautifully built, looks amazing, but airflow is small, which is a small issue, but if I could find a good build to go with it, I'd love to be using it as opposed to it sitting in a shelf.

Thanks in advance.

sent using a sonic screwdriver

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
Hey turbocad6 or mark78. A friend of mine is upgrading my WAE2 with the DNA 40. Got it in and having some problems. 1 the battery compartment is a little longer now and most batteries don't make contact without a magnet to extend and 2 the top cap by the 510 connection leaves a little gap now. More importantly, 3 it just says shorted when I push the fire button with or without an atty attached. All other menu options (up/ down temperature mode changing etc) work. Any thoughts/advice?

mark78

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
Bucharest Romania
www.markbugs.com
I get it ... And it is not good!
First, your friend had to modify the plastic shell that keeps tight the DNA40, otherwise it will not fit inside.
Now:
1 and 2 the whole ansambling is inserted wrongly... It is not pushed down to the bottom, that's why you have probem 1 and 2.
3. Somehow he managed to solder wrong some wires or the + solder or uncover wier is touching the body of the mod.
This are some general things that I can think from what you wrote.
office@markbugs.com is our email address in case you want us to fix it for you.
Hope that helps in anyway...

Engineer

Jun 2, 2014
Toronto
I get it ... And it is not good!
First, your friend had to modify the plastic shell that keeps tight the DNA40, otherwise it will not fit inside.
Now:
1 and 2 the whole ansambling is inserted wrongly... It is not pushed down to the bottom, that's why you have probem 1 and 2.
3. Somehow he managed to solder wrong some wires or the + solder or uncover wier is touching the body of the mod.
This are some general things that I can think from what you wrote.
office@markbugs.com is our email address in case you want us to fix it for you.
Hope that helps in anyway...

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for your input. I have to say your product is a stunning piece of precision to work on!

@brawas asked me (a small local mechanical mod maker) to modify his WAE2 to use a DNA40 board.

1. I dissembled, documented, and then modified the inner mount to accommodate the DNA40's inductor and additional surface mount "obstacles"
2. I'd love to see high quality photos of fully assembled 510 side, and positive battery connections to help with the alignment process. And really wish @turbocad6 took a tonn of photos.
3. I'm more inclined to believe the chip is bad, but am pulling the board again to analyse.
4. When I finish this swap, I'll put up the material I have so far so others have a guide to perform the swap themselves.

Best regards,

Kyle @ Etobicoke Vapor Industries

sLEneKb.jpg

YpNStar.jpg

mark78

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
Bucharest Romania
www.markbugs.com
@engineer,
Unfortunately we did not play with the 40, because we had others projets planned so we can not provide you any pictures.
If turbocad6 has I do not have any prob given those to you.
I will not encourage owners of WAE 2 to change their chips theirselves from a lot of reasons and I belive you as a moder know what I am talking about.
Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread