Status
Not open for further replies.

dems86

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA, US
Congrats on ordering the WAEII !! I succumbed to that same temptation a few months back and once it arrived, I wondered why I'd waited so long. Know you'll feel the same way...it's an absolute work of art. I just wish Qorax would stop posting pics of that d*mn GEM of his...the wait is killing me. :D
:toast:
Yeah, that GEM is so damn gorgeous and I'd be lying if I didn't admit that it played a small factor in pushing me over the edge.

Got my shipping notification today and along with shipping notification on a Nano Erlk that will match up oh so nicely with it. Some AW batteries arrived today so I am definitely good to go...it won't be long now

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
Upgrade successful. Thanks for the input turbocad6 and mark78. And special thanks to @engineer for doing the work
83373ce5d76b880dc374f9e65dfec221.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark78

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
Bucharest Romania
www.markbugs.com
Glad your enjoying the swap Brawas! Your make a extremely nice product Mark, it was a absolute pleasure to see the quality of work that went into the WAE-II when doing the swap.

Glad you liked the iterior of WAE, everyone is judging it only seeing the exterior of it.

dems86

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA, US
Sorry about that! I will check on Monday and let you know!
Mark, if I didn't get on the list for the Chalice back in December, will I be able to get one? I heard people on the list got emails that they are coming this week. I'm about to order a REOS for my first squonker for the sole purpose of putting a Chalice on it, and I'm hoping I'll be able to snag one somehow. If there is anything I need to do, please let me know. Thanks!!!

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
Quick question, what batteries work with it? I see that VTC4 were too short and I have handful of those and a bunch of Samsung 25R flat tops...are the Sammys too short too?

I watched Todds old review and saw the AW IMR fit perfectly, and I'm sure the dimensions on the new ones are the same, so I was going to pick three of those up from RTD assuming my Sammys are a no go. Thanks.

Samsungs didn't work with mine either. However. I use tiny little magnets that make the batteries look like nipple tips for the shorter batteries, and they work fine.

That's weird. Every battery I've used, Sony, Sammy, LG has worked perfectly in my WE2 and WAE2.

The WAEII is an awesome mod for sure. Right now it is currently my favorite DNA30 device that I own. I am pretty interested in the GEM tank that I have been reading about.

As far as batteries go every type of 18650 battery I have here works in the WAEII, AW button tops, VTC5 flat top, VTC4 flat top, LG HE2 flat top, and the Samsung 25R flat top all work in the MB mod without issue. I am preferring the 25r's because I have a few of those that are unassigned to any devices and they have a respectable amp limit along with a respectable mah.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Since my DNA 40 upgrade. All batteries that didn't work before, work now. I guess the connector pins must have been pushed in a little or something before.

How is your DNA 40 working out? I just watched the PBUSARDO videos on the DNA40 and he gave it an overall thumbs down, said just too many issues. Glitchy battery meter, screen (sometimes), temp control NOT ready for prime time and too much hassle. :( I'm a DNA fan boy, but looks like I'm lucky I didn't jump on a DNA40 sooner.

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
Temperature control is pretty hit or miss. When it does work properly, and or you figure out the workarounds to have it working more often, it's really sweet. However, temperature control aside, I'm still happy with the upgrade as it brings other benefits. For example the 10 extra watts, the lower ohm limit, the better battery life. Also my dna 30 chip would get fussy and start rebooting on me when the battery was still at 3.7 volts. With the dna 40, it doesn't do the rebooting thing and when it complains about weak battery and I put it on the charger, it's down to 3.5 volts, so at least it's using the charge more fully.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
I still plan on posting a guide, but its not a easy or straight forward swap.
I didn't assume it would be. I personally wouldn't do it on my wizard, but I'd love to see the process of it being done just because. [emoji106]

I personally have no need for additional power beyond 30 watts, resistance lower than 0.5 ohms, and tempature control seems to be nice, but in its very early stages and buggy. And for me personally, I just got my vaping routine down to a science, where I can easily and quickly rebuild, re-wick, whatever with ease. Very little guess work. The results are predictable and repeatable.

Engineer

Jun 2, 2014
Toronto
Step 1: create a forked blade tool to remove the outer retaining rings

9pcLn9C.jpg

Step 2: with the retaining rings removed, document lead contention positions (makes is easier when re-installing later)

sduFB3k.jpg

rjtcCWX.jpg

Step 3: de-solder solid grounding pin from body

rQWpVxt.jpg

Step 4: remove DNA 30 board from mounting rails

9RKETua.jpg

Step 5: prep DNA40 board for swap (removed circuit mounting rails)

RPfys4X.jpg

Step 6: Transfer leads onto DNA40 board (make note of positioning from Step 1

IZTlnUY.jpg

iC3LYHG.jpg

Step 7: put your delrin rails into a 3-axis mill and resurface accordingly (spend approximately 6 business day lunch breaks getting it just right to fit while @brawas increasingly grows anxious to have it back :p)

1pt6BtA.jpg

Step 8: reassemble and enjoy

sLEneKb.jpg

Yeah, not exactly a straight forward guide I know :(
To be entirely honest, mark78, I agree I can't really recommend people to do this swap. If in the future if you do decide to produce DNA40 WEAII's I would recomend making the internal board sled a 3-piece design (so that top screen mount, and lower board mount can be interested first. Then a 3rd peice can be shimmed inbetween locking them in-place.

Again, tonns of respect to mark78 for producing such a high quality mod. I was truly impressed working on this unit.

Best regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread