Woman severely burned in e-cigarette explosion (it was a mech mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
The problem with this type of mod is the price, they are so damn cheap compared to decent regulated mods that many are attracted to them, luckily the price of regulated mods is coming down since the market is being flooded with them but they will never be as cheap as clones without regulation... Our only real option is to reach out and offer advice/warnings, one of the vape advocacy/regulation groups recently put out some information regarding mechanical/hybrid mechanical mods...

Mechanical and Hybrid Mods (ie: Mechanical Vaporizers) | ECTA of Canada News Brief and Timeline

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Also, she would know that a lawsuit against the manufacturer of Chinese vape products is a no go, if she is an informed vapor that is.
Somebody commented the thata mod has not been found. How can there be a case without that. Even with that how does anybody prove there was a defect in something rather than user error?

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Somebody commented the thata mod has not been found. How can there be a case without that. Even with that how does anybody prove there was a defect in something rather than user error?

I thought of that too. Kind of hard to prove your case when there is no evidence either way. This also shows that she's not thinking coherently, she's thinking in dollar signs instead.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
So it's likely the evidence of what really happened won't be known. Case closed?

There is another news story about a pocket fire that happened to a kid sitting in class and the claim is it was a regulated Smok mod caused the batteries to spontaneously vent. How does that happen? The device was not charging and it wasn't in use. Without one of those how does a battery start to vent?

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
So it's likely the evidence of what really happened won't be known. Case closed?

There is another news story about a pocket fire that happened to a kid sitting in class and the claim is it was a regulated Smok mod caused the batteries to spontaneously vent. How does that happen? The device was not charging and it wasn't in use. Without one of those how does a battery start to vent?

I can only guess a short in the wiring or bad capacitor on the board. I had a regulated mod set on fire in my vape stand. I hadn't used it in more than an hour when it suddenly went up in flames. Luckily I was able to pull the battery right away on my way to the door with it.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I don't know anything about Smok mods but the fact that it was in his pocket would cause me to ask questions.

One of the patrons of my local B&M had a battery catch on fire in her purse. She took responsibility for it by admitting that she didn't have it in a case. She could have easily cried foul and gone after the vape shop with any ole excuse she could think up if she hadn't been the honest type.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I can only guess a short in the wiring or bad capacitor on the board. I had a regulated mod set on fire in my vape stand. I hadn't used it in more than an hour when it suddenly went up in flames. Luckily I was able to pull the battery right away on my way to the door with it.
Did you determine the cause of your incident?

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio

Not for sure. I wanted my money back so I couldn't open it myself. It was allegedly sent back to Hotcig (manufacturer of mod) and Yihi (board), but I was never informed of the issue. It smelled like a capacitor, but obviously that's only my opinion, and not verified.

There were no signs before that that anything was amiss. I still have an identical mod (this happened over a year ago), and that mod is fine. I take the battery out at night/when I'm not home though, just in case.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Admittedly, this incident does make me question overall eCig safety more than the other incidents have. But if I were going to do a report (news story) on it, I'd want to cover many bases and would likely be stating that in past instances it has usually (if not always) been user error. In my opinion, that needs to be front and center when considering this rather than idea that there is something wrong with eCigs in general. Just cause I said I question it, doesn't mean I would conclude with that.

Admittedly, I'm probably reacting a tad more emotionally to this one as it involved a female rather than a male. I think all that emotional stuff needs to be kept in check when sharing news about the story and conveying facts. Compassion for the woman ought to be premium, but not at the expense of spinning this into something that is inherently wrong with vaping/eCigs. Not saying that for sure has happened. I just think the way to prevent this in the future is closer to informing users on proper understandings of how to work devices rather than pretending like it is the devices themselves that are the problem. IOW, what we do with all other items on the planet. Otherwise, no one would be driving automobiles anymore if that was spun solely on emotions and how many users have been in (serious) accidents.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida

Even the best circuits can have component failure, which is why some of the more expensive mods (Provape, for example) have redundant safety features. I'm sure we'll see more redundant safety features coming in the less expensive mods as stories like this begin to drive the market in that direction.

What I don't understand is why, when there are so many high powered regulated devices on the market, people who are uneducated in battery safety still buy mech mods? Vape stores should require mech mod customers to sign a waiver before purchase, explaining the potential issues and absolving the store owners and staff of any liability.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I once was sitting with my dna 200 in my pocket and, as many times before and after, I didn't locked it. Although I was in temp control mode, and the coil never went above 235C, the whole mod started to heat up (I probably pushed the fire button indefinitely) until I could feel my leg being toasted. I grabbed the mod, went to the toilet and let it cool off.

Kinda weird seeing an unscorched wick but a semi melted insulator.

Bottom line: there is a small idiot in any one of us. It's just a matter of time. When my idiot comes out again, I rather have a regulated or even temperature controlled mod than a mech or even hybrid.

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Not for sure. I wanted my money back so I couldn't open it myself. It was allegedly sent back to Hotcig (manufacturer of mod) and Yihi (board), but I was never informed of the issue. It smelled like a capacitor, but obviously that's only my opinion, and not verified.

There were no signs before that that anything was amiss. I still have an identical mod (this happened over a year ago), and that mod is fine. I take the battery out at night/when I'm not home though, just in case.
My rule before all this is I never leave batteries in a mod unless i'm using it. Your experience indicates that's wise.

All the accidents I've read about so far involved avoidable user errors. I hadn't considered that a regulated mod, or any mod might spontaneously cause a battery to vent when there is no charging or discharging in progress. Is it possible the battery decided to vent spontaneously because it had a problem?

Do I have to take the battery out of my device every night? Or would it be sufficient to give it 5 clicks for the night? Or may be neitheir one depending on the device? May be our mod companies need to inform us about unobvious hazards. I gues now I want to know more about how these electronics work. When I press the fire button how is power directed to the coil, for instance.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I believe even turned off, a very small amount of power is being used. That's why it can recognize the 5 clicks can turn it back on. So if you really want to be safe, you should remove batteries on unattended mods.

If you want more of an explanation on how they work, I can give you one. I'm sure there are people here who would do a more thorough job than I can, but I've built a couple mods.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
... when ever I see these threads I feel there are some who think that no matter what the situation is as long as they keep repeating the same ideation over and over they can convince themselves and others it is true.
What ideation is that?

Reactions: Kent C

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
The whole thing seems kind of orchestrated, it's kind of hard to tell but it almost looks like she has some "fake" teeth in her mouth, you kind of get a glimpse of her bottom teeth and they seem all pearly white, she doesn't look like she's in any pain maybe morphine? and again what the hell is her car doing in the middle of the front yard in a pile of leaves? was she driving drunk???

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
The first story I read said it was a rented car, this instantly set off a bs alarm.

Second she already has a lawyer with intent on suing, right after it happened?

A mechanical mod can short without being a hybrid, the coil could sag and touch the deck or the build could get knocked around.

What I do know is it's not the fault of the mod. It was either the battery or atomizer if true.

I had a build short on me once, it was on a Stingray and soon as I hit the fire switch it stuck because it was a dead short. Tube got hot instantly but I threw it down and it knocked the fire switch loose. I was running a VTC5 and it survived, I still use the battery every day and that was over a year ago.

What I'm getting at it my issue was a dead short and the battery didn't vent, it didn't even damage it. Much less instantly explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread