Status
Not open for further replies.

misswish1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
NM
I read this thread and got hooked (enablers). I ordered 8 flavorings, mixed up my samples right away. I only made it 7 days before I had to try the butterscotch cream pie - really good! Today is the 8th day, so I loaded up the roasted pecan and cream. Good, but I think I need it a drop or 2 stronger. Very eager to try more of them. Thank you all for pushing me to try these, and for all of your info and opinions!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Did you get the Hazelnut and cream,misswish? It's a bit sweet for me but still excellent solo.
Have you ever tried using vinegar, lemon juice, or a citric acid dilution, to take the "sweet" edge off @FranC? I understand (and totally respect) your dislike for sweet. I do not share your significant aversion for it; so I have no real "on-hands" experience to share. I have no "dog in this hunt," other than you seem to limit your offerings significantly, by what you perceive as sweet. I am only curious what you have/haven't tried to reach beyond this personal dislike.

Pineapple has always been "problem" one for me. Sweet, candy-like, maybe "canned" at best... until I stumbled across TFA's Sea Buckthorn. It is tart, has all the "pineapple" notes, without any of the sweet. It isn't worthy of a stand-alone; but it contributes the "pineapple" notes WITHOUT adding any "sweet" to the blend.

TFA's Philippine Mango is another great one to add the "green/sour" notes to the more (like?) candy, nectar, sweet notes, of most mango flavors.

Sometimes it is as valuable to know what is "missing," as it is to be able to identify what is too much.

I only ask, because you have been mixing much longer than I have, and I value your opinion. And, of course, your results/perceptions may/may not be anything like mine (your interpretations are NOT likely going to be mine!!... I do NOT hold YOU responsible!! :pervy:)(I have found "non-benchmarks," as equally valuable, as "benchmarks"... so every little bit helps :blush:). :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I have tried lemon juice with limited success. Tried all the supplements. Sour etc. They just don't work for me. I can taste the sour but the juice is still sweet. Don't like them. Perhaps I'll give vinegar a try.
Honestly, for me, the "naturals" (vinegar. lemon juice) had only a short (less than a week) benefit. Then it faded, or the flavor suffered. The only solution I have found is an alternate/supplemental concentrate. :confused:

Edit to add: the only "kinda-sorta" band-aid fix I have found is a 5% dilution of citric acid (crystals) in PG. That "holds" (doesn't fade), but I can't seem to find a happy medium, between "dampening the sweet," and clogging the coils. :facepalm:

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Fortunately for me, I love sweet... lol. :D
I'm not quite to FranC's "I don't like sweet" range (I think?): but I find a lot of sweeteners hiding sub-par mixing. That is why I try to not discuss sweeteners with new DIY mixers. It just seems to be one of the first "you can fix that" remedies (aka "crutch" vs. getting the mix right to begin with). :D

I absolutely cringe every time I see EM suggested as a "sweetener." Something to take the "sharp"edges off... sure; something to round out, or soften" the overall profile... I can accept that. But, to "sweeten" a mix? I will argue that until I am blue in the face! I guess that just goes to show you how old, and inflexible I am. <sigh>:facepalm:

But that is THE reason I began to DIY; nobody has to like it, but me. If only marriage was that easy! :D :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@IDJoel Have you tried SC pineapple yet? Actually a nice well rounded pineapple as a single and mixes well. Haven't tested it for long term steeps, but does well in snv and 3 day steeps.
I haven't. I just purchased my first SC fruit (Banana) and have yet to mix up a tester. I appreciate your suggestion, and I will consider it, when I next revisit pineapple mixes.:thumbs::D

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm still loving the first 2 WF flavors I got.Roasted pecan and Hazelnut and Cream

Just got a few more and I'm looking for suggestions on mixing percentage.I want to mix small bottles to get an idea of taste.
    I have
    Walnut sc
    Cashew sc
    Honey Roasted Peanuts sc
    Chocolate Chunks
    Tahitian Vanilla Cream

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    It's not that I don't like sweet but I just can't bring my tastebuds to agree. I'm ok with a low level of sweetness.
    AND the more I try the solo Hazelnut and Cream the less it tastes too sweet for me.
    What % did you mix this? Just got some in so looking for advice.
    :)

eta nm. Just read ceecee's post:facepalm:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread