Wondering if missing the MOAIs have tipped the balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
Been vaping exclusively for over seven months. I've always had a very stressful life in multiple areas of my life and think what I thought was a "post menopausal trough" has been going on a little too long. Recently its gotten so bad I've taken time off work. It has been enormously difficult to force myself to do anything. Thank to the powers that be for my animals, they have been my salvation - I can always make sure they have been taken care of. I'm currently trying to develop daily routines that enhance happiness and help me deal with chronic joint pain (that wasn't due to any particular incident) that keeps me awake at nights and makes it impossible to more than 15 minute of exertion at a time.

Currently taking Celebrex, but it only does about 75% of the job of pain relief. I'm now considering trying SSRIs or SNRIs even though I'm very loath to mess with my brain chemistry.

Has anyone had a similar experience or is willing to share their solutions with me?

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Have you been to a doctor? I thought it was the MAOI's as well, about a month in...got some WTA juice and it helped the anxiety, but was also having what I thought were allergy issues (red burning face, swollen sinuses, hands and feet). I started getting vertigo, and went to a clinic who prescribed Nasonex. Afrin and Benadryl worked better. Smoking actually helped so I resorted to having 1-2 a day here and there.

After 5 months, I was having serious issues with very fast weight gain (approx 15-20 lbs in 2 months), fatigue beyond comprehension (almost falling asleep driving and in meetings) and my co-workers were noticing my face was swelling. I was also experiencing ribs popping out of joint constantly, sciatica, and pretty painful and stiff joints.

Finally went to the doctor (hadn't been for 5 years except for severe colds) and was diagnosed with auto-immune hypothyroidism. My labs were some of the worst the doc has ever seen. Now that I've gotten that under control, I'm dealing with adrenal problems as well (chronic high cortisol). After searching PubMed, apparently there is a very strong link between smoking cessation and Hashimoto's disease (what I have). Something about the alkaloids in tobacco keeps the body from producing the antibodies that attack the thyroid, and when those alkaloids are removed, it triggers the auto-immune response. The same alkaloids also reduce general inflammation.

The studies done suggest that it takes place anytime within the first 2 years of quitting.

There is a supplement (very expensive) called Anatabloc that you can get at GNC for the inflammation--its main ingredient is anatabine, one of the alkaloids in tobacco. It is showing some promise in all kinds of inflammatory illnesses. I haven't tried it yet due to the cost.

I have no solutions for you, other than to get a full metabolic panel as well as perhaps a thyroid screening. I had suspicions but never thought that all of my symptoms were related to that. It was really the weight gain and fatigue that had me thinking that my thyroid had taken a dump on me, but once I got on thyroid replacement pretty much everything else was also resolved. I've also been able to completely stop smoking.

Good luck to you--definitely see a doctor.

Last edited:

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
Thanks for the detailed response Alisa1970. Yes, I have seen my doctor and had a full blood panel done. I specifically asked her to include adrenal function and she said there wasn't one (except for something that naturopaths do - and she isn't one). She did give me the prescription for the Celebrex. When I was at the lab I asked about a cortisol level test and sure enough an AM Cortisol test was available, so I called her office to ask to have it added and she said no. I'll be seeing her on Wednesday to go over the results and, according to her receptionist, there was nothing urgent about the results.

Its just my shoulders and, to a lesser extent, my wrists that are affected with pain - not a general inflammatory response. it's the fatigue and lack of drive that makes me think that there is some sort of depression thing going on and that when I was smoking the anti-depressant effect of the MOAIs was keeping things in check. I did do a couple of sessions with a registered psychologist and she felt that I was suffering from exhaustion. I have been taking a health food store supplement called AdrenalStart to try and provide my adrenal system with some extra support. Also using electro-stimulation and exercises recommended by my physio for the shoulder pain.

I'll see what the doc has to say on Wednesday. She is in the process of getting me in for an ultrasound scan of the shoulder - apparently they are booking now for late February.

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Alisa1970 is right. Quitting smoking can exacerbate multiple thyroid conditions. You may see about a referral to an endocrinologist. There absolutely are multiple tests for adrenal issues (I know I JUST had them) An extended thyroid panel is also necessary in many cases. My standard panel was just barely within "normal" the NP at my office was very nonchalant about it so I made an appointment to go over it with my primary care and she ordered an expanded panel and found plenty of reason to send my straight over to the endocrinologist.

As it stands now I am go over a ton of tests tomorrow to find out more as to what is going on. My issues are opposite hyperthyroid and over production in the adrenal system - endo explained this can be masked by smoking and many issues can be exacerbated when you quit.

Definitely stay on your doc about it I really had to fight to get more blood work and a better look at it - but I am sure glad I did.

My fingers are crossed for you on your appointment wednesday and for you getting some answers and relief!

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
I was actually thinking about having her refer me to an endocrinologist - after I "express my displeasure" about being refused an additional test on the blood already collected . There is even one in the shared office she is in, so it should be fairly easy to arrange.

My old doctor, who retired five or six years ago after being my GP for over 30 years, would never have insulted my intelligence by simply having the receptionist call back and say "the tests ordered were all that is needed". He would have either called in person to explain why, or more likely added the requested test.

I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. The one thing I won't do is go back to smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread