Status
Not open for further replies.

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
That's the problem when editing from the beginning-to-end. You start off with great ideas and ambition, but end off with none. :) That one took a lot of editing, but it was worth it. I really wanted to highlight all the work he puts into those mods.

Now, I have to get one for myself! ;) I'm thinking Indulgence!

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Oooh, that's the one I'm coveting... the indulgence! Amazing review, LD! Crossing fingers! I reeeally want that bad boy, for my friend, Rickajho, here at ecf. He loves the wood, and is a collector of beautiful craftsman pieces, like vintage pocketwatches, and 50s era rca AM radios. He just loves the beauty and the care that went into those, and a Gentry mod seems like the perfect combination of his love for beauty combined with function, and his vaping obsession! rofl As for me, having been inundated with all this gorgeous wood and the incredible craft that goes into it, I finally took the plunge and spent yesterday researching wood hand-carving (at a total novice level, of course). Since I don't have major tools like saws and lathes, I found out I can pursue hand-carving with some handtools and good rotary tool with carving attachments, and some really good books for total beginners that show you each stroke (literally!) of a few different projects, and shows you each technique. I know it'll take YEARS before I can create something I want to show off, but I've been doing digital art for years, and have become bored with the lack of tangible end product. I want something I can put blood sweat and tears over weeks or months into, and end up with something that takes my breath away. Crossing fingers! I know I've got an incredible amount of labor and practice before I have even rudimentary skills, but between Lewis Gentry and 2 other skilled woodworkers, I finally decided woodworking was my next artistic pursuit. I'm interested in glass blowing also, but boy.. talk about an expensive hobby! Plus don't have the physical stamina to stand in front of an oven for hours. ;) So thanks, Mr. Gentry! I cant wait until I have the skills to bring out the organic beauty in a piece of wood. I know it'll take years and years till I'm there, but hey... gotta start somewhere, right? lol

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
I used to carve when I was in high school and earlier. 3D objects like canoes out of sticks and little totem poles. Looking back if I could have changed one thing it would have been learning how to sharpen first. The second would have been good quality metal compared to a buck knife and cheap chisels.

For sharpening I use these for my chisels. They work very fast, last a long time and if used properly you can shave with what you sharpen. I even carry one for backpacking because they are super light Eze-Lap Diamond Products — Woodworking / Shop / Machine Tool — Diamond Hone & Stone Sharpeners I think you can get these same ones cheaper, it just looked like their main web site.

Good metal stays sharp longer.
M2 high speed steel - holds an edge five times longer than traditional high carbon steel.
ASP 2030 high speed steel - a powder metal that holds an edge up to three times longer than M2 high speed steel.
ASP 2060 high speed steel -a powder metal that holds an edge up to four and one half times longer than M2 high speed steel.
CPM 10V (A-11) Thompson Lathe Tools nice stuff but I think he just does lathe tools.
Cheap china tools don't stay sharp.

Also when you finish some projects I would love to see them.

Bayemon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Omaha
Awwww yeah. This baby came today.

uploadfromtaptalk1334615525644.jpg

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Bayemon... gorgeous! And i don't know if that's the tip that came on it or not, but I love the way the tip shape sort of continues the curvy lines of the pv. Gorgeous choice, and another beautiful Gentry mod! I really dig those long striations in the wood. Very cool foil to the curves.

And thank you SO much for the little lesson! I'm pasting that verbatim in the document with all the links I'm saving. Can't thank you enough. I really don't have much money to spend since I'm disabled, but you know, I'd MUCH rather wait another month or two and end up with stuff that lasts, than buy cheapest gear I can get my paws on, and have to replace it almost immediately. And chances are it would have taken me tons of trial and error and a lot of wasted money to figure out those few rules of thumb about steel... so seriously, thanks so much! I'm not so much interested in full 3d sculpture as i am in doing carvings in relief. I've always been fascinated by bas relief in architecture and renaissance artwork, and I LOVE the combination of high and low relief in Book-Cut Sculptures, like the work of Su Blackwell. I found this book, designed for beginners with wood that supposedly goes thru literally every stroke required to make a few projects in detail. The reviews look good, and a few people say they could make the projects starting from zero knowledge of woodworking before the book, so I'm hopeful. And a great guy here at ECF, PumasforPets, showed me an awesome dremel tool that's designed for wood carving, with all the essentials, and a few different wand attachments so that will be perfect when I eventually need it, as well as all the carving/polishing/ etc bits. I was gonna get one that was craft rated, not designed for wood working, so that would have been flat out disastrous. And more wasted money. lol Anyway, here's what I'm starting with. This, and a book by a master who does intensive 2 week 'intro to woodwork' sessions, and the book is basically verbatim what he teaches. Hoping they'll be a good combo. Plus, at least I'll end up with something that I enjoy looking at provided I practice and follow directions. Most of the books with much simpler projects that looked more logical for beginners were panned in reviews, cause they're all theory and no detail, or all detail and no theory. Anyway, between links you gave, I can start shopping for best deals on good tools, and saving. Gosh, hope Eric doesn't mind if I post this here... its not vaping related at all. But if he does, I can take it down, or he can remove it, of course.
Amazon.com: Relief Carving Wood Spirits: A Step-By-Step Guide for Releasing Faces in Wood (Woodcarving Illustrated Books) (9781565233331): Lora S Irish: Books

Thanks again! I feel really confident that I know what to shop for, at least. Lol Whether or not I have any talent with wood remains to be seen. ;)

Oh, I misspoke before... Pumasforpets showed me a woodworking set w rotary and reciprocating tools, not dremel. Its called a 'power carving kit' at a place called Woodcraft. That's definitely one I'll have to save for, but it looks pretty inclusive.

Last edited:

warlike36

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2010
Seymour,IN.
Eric, as word gets around, I bet these become your signature items.

I am not a mod collector, but dang, I'm tempted as hell to order a the X3's to go along with E-Power Burl I have on order.

Kicking myself for not trying out the We Pay service. Snail mail and checks are so 1980's lol.

I have already posted this, but seen your comment and feel I should again. "WE Pay" has been great...MUCH better than PP for me. Much easier and a lot less "intrusive". I use it around 3-5 times a month to buy juice.....not one hassle.

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
Totally agree with you Warlike. I've used We Pay for orders with Discount Vapers since, and it does work well. Once used, the site remembers my info, and is no more hassle than traditional CC check out processes.

As to my original post, well I guess I have become a mod collector lol. I actually had the Black and Gold mini XL3 in my cart twice, but opted for another 14650 E Power instead. My wife loves pretty vape stuff, and when I told her she could get one like mine but in a color with a drip tip, it was game over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread