Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Hello ? Is there anybody here ?
I have a Woodvil that is not firing. Using an multimeter to check ohms, I have good connections on the positive side through the firing button. But the Negative loses continuity where the wire meets the 510 connector. I have rebuilt my Grands, but haven't gotten into the Woodvils yet.
Any advice about the 510 in a Woodvil ? How hard is it to disassemble the 510, drop the Botton through and solder the wiring in place ?

• Optimistic
Reactions: kas122461

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Hello ? Is there anybody here ?
I have a Woodvil that is not firing. Using an multimeter to check ohms, I have good connections on the positive side through the firing button. But the Negative loses continuity where the wire meets the 510 connector. I have rebuilt my Grands, but haven't gotten into the Woodvils yet.
Any advice about the 510 in a Woodvil ? How hard is it to disassemble the 510, drop the Botton through and solder the wiring in place ?
Hi @PapawBrett. I don’t have any answers about your woodville but wanted to acknowledge your check-in. Hopefully someone in the know will pipe in.
Nonetheless, good to see you!

Reactions: PapawBrett

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Hey Papaw, Guessing here that yours is a 2015 woodie? I have one also that is dead in the water due to a cold solder joint of the wire at the brass insert the 510 is pressed into. The brass bushing comes in from the top, and I believe Rob soldered them up before assembly and glued the brass piece in after fishing the wire down through the hole, then the positive brass plate and wire would be put in place after routing the negative wire into its groove...

with such a large piece of brass it will be tough to get enough heat for a good solder joint, which is why I believe mine failed...Eric had the mod for a long time, and was not successful in soldering it, and has had some new brass bushings made for him, but things didn't go according to plan, and the 510 piece just slides in and out of the new bushing...

I asked for my woodie back, and am going to look into a Fat Daddy Vapes BF 510 piece and see if I can make that fit, or maybe some day try to use the shell for a Franken Mod with a ProVari chipset in there...

Hopefully Eric will continue working on this and get his Woodville shells up and running, and also have maybe extra parts for repairs...but right now, I think you might do more damage than good trying to re-solder that wire, if you can get enough heat to the brass without ruining the insulator in the 510...

Maybe hit Eric up and see where he is at with this project? Good luck.

rgerber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Prescott, AZ USA
Well....finally know now that the new brass bushings were a fail. Was hoping to have heard that from Eric, but it looks like the Woodvile I sent in over a year ago may never get repaired. Good thing is, I still have a Grand LP that works fine. With so many other choices now out there, losing the Woody will not be as bad. Still....it sure was pretty. Am getting comfortable with a pump squonk these days.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Hey Papaw, Guessing here that yours is a 2015 woodie? I have one also that is dead in the water due to a cold solder joint of the wire at the brass insert the 510 is pressed into. The brass bushing comes in from the top, and I believe Rob soldered them up before assembly and glued the brass piece in after fishing the wire down through the hole, then the positive brass plate and wire would be put in place after routing the negative wire into its groove...

with such a large piece of brass it will be tough to get enough heat for a good solder joint, which is why I believe mine failed...Eric had the mod for a long time, and was not successful in soldering it, and has had some new brass bushings made for him, but things didn't go according to plan, and the 510 piece just slides in and out of the new bushing...

I asked for my woodie back, and am going to look into a Fat Daddy Vapes BF 510 piece and see if I can make that fit, or maybe some day try to use the shell for a Franken Mod with a ProVari chipset in there...

Hopefully Eric will continue working on this and get his Woodville shells up and running, and also have maybe extra parts for repairs...but right now, I think you might do more damage than good trying to re-solder that wire, if you can get enough heat to the brass without ruining the insulator in the 510...

Maybe hit Eric up and see where he is at with this project? Good luck.

Actually it's not a 2015, but an earlier run (2013 ?). It is beautiful, but I am afraid to tear into it. Where would you get parts ?

Reactions: ENAUD

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Actually it's not a 2015, but an earlier run (2013 ?). It is beautiful, but I am afraid to tear into it. Where would you get parts ?
I don't think any parts exist anymore...you would need to check with Eric, but I seem to remember he saying that he was very leery of dealing with any old Woodvilles...in essence, anyone trying to repair one is backwards engineering something that Rob created...I'm sure there are folks who are capable, but finding the right person with the right skill set is the challenge.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I just ordered a BF 510 connector from fatdaddy that says it's for wooden mods to see if it'll work to convert my VV woody. I'll report back here when it arrives.
Looking forward to hearing about your success, can you link which one you ordered if it works? TIA:thumb::cool:

elencius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
North Carolina
To anyone who is working on reviving their woodvils: Any luck in completely removing the brass catch cup? I am looking at a 16mm 510 assembly for my two pre-2015 18490s (from the first run of this size). I think I read somewhere that the catch cups were glued in on these. I'd be grateful for any info and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread