Would this be safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAP3MICHIGAN

Jan 3, 2015
Commerce, MI
Hey guys, Im not new to vaping but fairly new to sub-ohming and just wanted to confirm this wether this would be a safe build or not.
I have a new 18650 AW 2200mah in a Copper Penny mech mod, using a Dodge V2. Ive been playing with coil builds and have been sticking to the .3 ohm-.5ohm range. But my question is for my latest build, 22ga kanthal wrapped 4 times, coming in at a .18 ohm. Now personally i dont feel safe using that low of a build especially with a fully charged battery. But a so called "vape master" at my local vape shop assures me that this is safe, and that he vapes even lower ohms. I just dont trust that, i want to be as safe as possible when sub-ohming. So what do you guys think?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Hey guys, Im not new to vaping but fairly new to sub-ohming and just wanted to confirm this wether this would be a safe build or not.
I have a new 18650 AW 2200mah in a Copper Penny mech mod, using a Dodge V2. Ive been playing with coil builds and have been sticking to the .3 ohm-.5ohm range. But my question is for my latest build, 22ga kanthal wrapped 4 times, coming in at a .18 ohm. Now personally i dont feel safe using that low of a build especially with a fully charged battery. But a so called "vape master" at my local vape shop assures me that this is safe, and that he vapes even lower ohms. I just dont trust that, i want to be as safe as possible when sub-ohming. So what do you guys think?
A genuine AW 18650 2200mAh has a MCCD of 20A. Without considering the pulse or momentary discharge/time values... you have a negative headroom of 3.3 amps, at 4.2V & 0.18Ω resistance.

Lets say for a moment that you have a conservative pulse discharge rate of 1.2 X 20A = 24 amps. Might be more, might be less, but... you still have less than 1 amp, or under 5% head room.

As the pulse-to-time amperage is an unknown... even though the "vape master" says it's OK, unless he's got factual data direct from Andrew Wong (AW) to support his recommendation... you're trusting your VMs guesstimation, rather than any actual hard data.
IMO - any supposed vape master that tells a customer it's OK to push beyond a batteries limits... is an irresponsible fool, and they take you for one as well.

If you've never used Steam Engine, it's the first hyperlink in my sigline. The second hyperlink is my advanced users guide for Steam Engine. Might want to take a look, VAP3.

Cheers

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hey guys, Im not new to vaping but fairly new to sub-ohming and just wanted to confirm this wether this would be a safe build or not. I have a new 18650 AW 2200mah in a Copper Penny mech mod, using a Dodge V2. Ive been playing with coil builds and have been sticking to the .3 ohm-.5ohm range. But my question is for my latest build, 22ga kanthal wrapped 4 times, coming in at a .18 ohm. Now personally i dont feel safe using that low of a build especially with a fully charged battery. But a so called "vape master" at my local vape shop assures me that this is safe, and that he vapes even lower ohms. I just dont trust that, i want to be as safe as possible when sub-ohming. So what do you guys think?
Bottom line , NO , you're exceeding the continuous discharge rating of 20 amps by more than 3 amps with a freshly charged battery at 4.2 volts . I agree with the others that stated your so called vape master is an irresponsible fool for telling you that it's safe . You need batteries with a 30 amp CDR to be safe with that build such as Sony vtc4's or vtc5's . Here's a link for a simple calculater to help you out . Ohm's Law Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread