Would you recommend the Provari to a noob if they were OK with spending that much up front?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
On his mechanical mod he is getting the 13.5 watts that he seems to like from his 1.0 ohm coil at 3.7v. Well that is also 3.7 Amps, which the Provari can't do.
The amperage required is the reason that so many Gennie users like mechanical mods and high drain bats.
It's not that a gennie won't work on a Provari, it's just that you have to run them to close to their upper limit.

Ya, I can do the math and get that, was just making the point that LR can still be ran, up to 3.5AMP :)

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Well they can true. But on the edge. I rather get a hot hit then a e I'm not knocking it. Its a good product. Even for a newbie. But they do need to get ride of the press fit cap.
I guess since I've been using the did since June. Vv is not needed and another thing to break. I'm hard on my stuff.
If the person I was recommending an ecig to was a person I know wouldn't have the ability to rebuild. I think a provari would be it. As your carts get old you can turn up the voltage and get some more time on them.
I was with a friend the other day with a provari. I said its been a while let me put the did on it. I needed to keep the voltage to 3,7. To keep it from e.
Glad it working out for you. As long as we are not smoking the stinky.

Tony

I hear what your saying Tony, I use a ton of different Mods & Gear myself, just a reg old AW IMR can handle plenty :) and with a Gene work super at .8-1.0 ohms I run a few myself :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just this past Thanksgiving, I was in my hometown visiting family. Two of my family members are heavy smokers who have admired that I quit smoking using electronic cigarettes; going on eight months now. They asked that I show them how mine worked.

I spent over two hours explaining how they work. I went over the different size batteries available, from the cigarette size, to eGo size, to the big battery mods. I went over the pro's and con's of everything available. I explained about starting-out costs, how getting the gear (mostly the batteries or battery holders to be used) would be costly at first, but thereafter most of the necessary products would be replacements (juice and juice delivery devices). I also had them "favorite" websites for future use, most notably ECF and a few of my favorite online vendors. I let them try each of my three mods, and let them try several different flavors from my multiple cartotanks.

When we were about finished, I asked what appealed to them. They said they wanted something like what I have. Well, I had showed them an Altsmoke BB, Silver Bullet, and a Provari. I told them how much each one cost, and they were fine with that. And just this week I see that one of them just received their very first e-cigarette - a Provari.

Now, they obviously felt that they would be comfortable starting out with the large form factor of the big battery mods, and they obviously were comfortable with the startup costs involved with getting an APV right out of the box, of which happened to be a Provari.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
If you think your going to be vaping a long time sure. Better to buy on good tool/APV than to keep buying cheaper over and over. It comes with a 1 year warranty and you can buy an extended warranty giving you 2 years of warranty. If you can afford it and your going to be vaping for very long sure.

Hi Steve, that's the issue. Do they think they will be vaping a long time? When I started, I didn't know if this would even work for me. Even though I read all these great success stories. I didn't believe it would be this easy. I did give it a fighting chance by getting a nice middle of the road device and it has worked perfectly. 2 months cig free :) But coming in new? I was Not that sure if I would be vaping a long time.

Now that I KNOW it works (!) when one of my Twists die (or hubby gets me one for christmas) I will be looking at getting a ProVari.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Just this past Thanksgiving, I was in my hometown visiting family. Two of my family members are heavy smokers who have admired that I quit smoking using electronic cigarettes; going on eight months now. They asked that I show them how mine worked.

I spent over two hours explaining how they work. I went over the different size batteries available, from the cigarette size, to eGo size, to the big battery mods. I went over the pro's and con's of everything available. I explained about starting-out costs, how getting the gear (mostly the batteries or battery holders to be used) would be costly at first, but thereafter most of the necessary products would be replacements (juice and juice delivery devices). I also had them "favorite" websites for future use, most notably ECF and a few of my favorite online vendors.

When we were about finished, I asked what appealed to them. They said they wanted something like what I have. Well, I had showed them an Altsmoke BB, Silver Bullet, and a Provari. I told them how much each one cost, and they were fine with that. And just this week I see that one of them just received their Provari.

Now, they obviously felt that they would be comfortable starting out with the large form factor of the big battery mods, and they obviously were comfortable with the startup costs involved with getting an APV right out of the box, of which happened to be a Provari.

Good job!

Damn, I wish I had someone that would have been able to show me all this stuff. If I had been able to try someone elses gear, yeah, I might have gone a different route. I am happy with what I decided on :) It did what it is supposed to do. Unfortunately most newbies don't have someone that is a vaper. Maybe someday it will be more common. We can only hope.

I Shall Not Recant

Verified Member
Jul 6, 2012
Dumbarton, Scotland
Sorry, long post.

If going by their question it looked like a ProVari was the right choice then sure I would suggest it. I'm of the opinion a ProVari is a bit overkill for a new start but it depends on the individual.

IMPORTANT

Rule 1 of Vaping: Always have a backup. Never be caught out.
Rule 2 of Vaping: Always have a backup for your backup. NEVER be caught out.

If a newbie throws all their eggs in one basket and the basket gets dropped (even a ProVari can go wrong) then that is a one way ticket back to Stinkieville. If that happens on my advice, I will be feeling helluva guilty.
Imagine the frustartion and disappointment when you've just spent $200+ on a top end device + batteries + charger + attys, you take it out and drop it. Your only vaping tool and you break it?
Imagine having to go from the ProVari to a disposable in your first few weeks of vaping. That would be enough to put me off.

That is one of the reasons why an eGo kit is seen such a good starter. Two backup batteries for when they move on. It doesn't suit everyone but still, in an emergency we'll nearly all happily puff away on an eGo rather than the alternative. It also lets them know if vaping is going to be their thing (I am in no way suggesting an eGo kit is a good replacement for a ProVari, just offering a reason for why it is often suggested).

For some people a middle of the road, cheap unregulated 3.7V device would be ideal and would serve as a good backup should they later upgrade.

For others a middle of the road, cheap VV would suit.
My first big battery device was a Lavatube v1 which is still going strong after nine months and never had a misfire (cue Lavatube death due to that sentence). It became my backup and I still take it out when I don't want to risk my ProVari (or other 'better' mods). The important thing about this is that I have never had to risk my ProVari, ever.
You break, lose or have stolen a cheap PV, big deal.

Each individual is different. For some the ProVari is the ideal item, so yes. For others, it is better to start slow and build.
Some people will already have done some research and have an idea of what they want. Some will not have.

I personally wish I had got in to bottom feeders earlier in my vaping life.

All I'm really trying to say is there should be no stock advice. The ProVari is a great device so why not advise in favour of it? But options can make all the difference.

I am however far more likely to suggest building up to the ProVari.

(I quite enjoyed writing this post)

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan

I spent over two hours explaining how they work. I went over the different size batteries available, from the cigarette size, to eGo size, to the big battery mods. I went over the pro's and con's of everything available. I explained about starting-out costs, how getting the gear (mostly the batteries or battery holders to be used) would be costly at first, but thereafter most of the necessary products would be replacements (juice and juice delivery devices). I also had them "favorite" websites for future use, most notably ECF and a few of my favorite online vendors. I let them try each of my three mods, and let them try several different flavors from my multiple cartotanks.

When we were about finished, I asked what appealed to them. They said they wanted something like what I have. Well, I had showed them an Altsmoke BB, Silver Bullet, and a Provari. I told them how much each one cost, and they were fine with that. And just this week I see that one of them just received their very first e-cigarette - a Provari.

I think I may have to get you to talk to my wife :) She's seen all the spiffy things I use, sniffed all my delicious juices, and now she wants a disposable that tastes like a marlboro...

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Most beginners are looking for an easy transition from analogs, which are tiny/lightweight. Id rather recommend a cigalike that has some decent power and be sure to steer them clear of cheapies and overpriced garbage. V4L or V2 kr808s are a nice step for a beginner imo. I have no interest in any PV devices personally, if someone handed me a Provari and was like try this instead of cigs id laugh at them.

You know another reason i say this, at least half the people i know who went from analogs to ecigs, ended up quitting entirely. None of them were PV users. Honestly all the toys makes ecigs more appealing to me, im not sure i can stop now...lol. I feel a hell of a lot better though so things arent so bad at least.

Tonytiger1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Houston
I hear what your saying Tony, I use a ton of different Mods & Gear myself, just a reg old AW IMR can handle plenty :) and with a Gene work super at .8-1.0 ohms I run a few myself :)

I do like the provari. But is not for me. I ride a Honda. All I hear is when are you getting a Harley. Same with the provari. Glad people like them they are good but my mech is simple. And I can do what ever my battery can do. It has a god following for a good reason.

Tony

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I do like the provari. But is not for me. I ride a Honda. All I hear is when are you getting a Harley. Same with the provari. Glad people like them they are good but my mech is simple. And I can do what ever my battery can do. It has a god following for a good reason.

Tony

I totally understand where youre coming from about the Harleys. I ride a Kawasaki Eliminator 600 which is basically a cruiser with a 4 carb Ninja 600 motor in it. I usually laugh and tell them I can buy 4 Kawasakis for the price of a Harley and can blow anything up to an 1100 off the road with mine. They usually laugh too until I prove it :)

Difference between a Harley and Provari is that IMO a Harley is all flash with loads of customization options while a Provari is rock solid and extremely dependable.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
If you had advised me to get a Provari when I was new, I would have run a mile. I needed something like a cigarette in size and feel. I had more than enough money for a Provari, but that would not have appealed to me. In fact I would have thought it was overkill.
I recently helped some-one make the switch to vaping. This is the second person I've helped, who as a noob will not even consider anything above cig size. I show some options to people sometimes, but they very quickly dismiss the bigger pvs.

There are some things that need to be considered, and primary is the persons needs. Some-one who wants something lightweight and cig size shouldn't be pushed to buy a heavy mod. They don't need a lecture on budgeting and economics either.

What I like vaping now is not where I was at 8 months ago. And I still use the pvs I had from about 8 months ago sometimes.

Also very important for some people is the form factor. A mod, be it the Provari or any other, just isn't what they want to use in certain situations. A couple of Volts, or ego size batts, some cartos and juice - maybe a twist or a spinner if they want to try vv - these are relatively inexpensive ways to start and people can use something they feel comfortable with. These things are not a waste of money. Some people settle with them quite happily and don't need anything more. Lets not forget how much money we burned on cigarettes.

So, no, I wouldn't push new people to get a Provari. I do show them different sizes pvs and I work with where they are at. And if they are interested in mods, the Provari wouldn't be the only option to consider. It is good for what it is, but there are mods with other functions it doesn't have that perform well. Once again it's about where a person is at, and honestly giving them a range of options.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I say go for it! You are money ahead. Fore sure get a back up or two. If you know your going to get one don't try to find something cheaper then turn around and buy it later then the cheap stuff just goes unused money wasted. Your back up. Something that uses the same batteries as your Provari. You cant go wrong with getting one of the best ecigs on the market. Even the haters can not dispute the performance and reliability. Most of the haters are turned off buy the price. The next reason Ive seen is its heavy compared to most mods.
Good luck and what ever you get your now a quiter feels good doesn't it!

alongo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Protem, Missouri
You have the bucks so go for it. I probably spent well over a thousands bucks on ego... epowers... lava tube two buzz pros... so on. Finally bought provari. It' the best in every way..all others are worn out or broke. Except my old first run lava tube and buzz in need of repair. I think the provari will be around for a long time .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread