Status
Not open for further replies.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
OK, since we are now in the 'proper' forum, why can't the ECF policy leave a 'questionable'/'movable' topic on the GD forum for at least 24 hours?!?!

For our newer members, it's quite a navigational challenge to be 'properly' ECF positioned! Besides, when railroaded to a 'outter back 40 forum', how many n00bies are gonna be encouraged to post in a more visible/high traffic forum (GD); let alone garner vet responses and further n00b participation?

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
OK, since we are now in the 'proper' forum, why can't the ECF policy leave a 'questionable'/'movable' topic on the GD forum for at least 24 hours?!?!

For our newer members, it's quite a navigational challenge to be 'properly' ECF positioned! Besides, when railroaded to a 'outter back 40 forum', how many n00bies are gonna be encouraged to post in a more visible/high traffic forum (GD); let alone garner vet responses and further n00b participation?

We don't move new members threads. I like to take into consideration how many posts a member has before deciding to move a thread. If they have 40+ posts, they should have a fairly good idea how to navigate the forum. There are also redirects that are still visible for a few days. The redirects are clickable and take the person to that thread no matter where it is placed. ;)

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
Is all the movement for making it easier for admin/mods??

No, not just for our convenience. Heck, leaving things wherever they are posted would be the most convenient for US since then we wouldn't have to do as much work, but in the grand scheme of things that just doesn't really serve the purpose of ECF at all.
This forum is so large and the topics so varied that keeping it organized is essential for any information to be able to be found by the person looking for it. Some forums like General E-smoking Discussion wind up being a "catch-all" for every type of topic while there are dedicated forums already for those particular topics. In the long run it makes it easier for someone to browse to the subject that they are looking for information on when everything is in its proper place

Not the most well-written explanation, been a long week and I'm tired at the moment, but I hope the point still makes sense ;-)

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Let's have a forum wide vote on that :)?.

Is all the movement for making it easier for admin/mods??

Basically, it is to keep the general area more for the general topics. If too much tech stuff, that belongs in other places, clutter up the area....things drop to the back pages and people generally don't bother going back a page or three. Things tend to move quickly down the page. Yes the redirects are there, but if people get the idea that there are areas other than general, they may start posting things where they really belong.

It helps to keep the forum more organized.

I am still learning all the places on ECF. I'm actually learning more about other areas just by following the redirects and checking out those other sections. :)

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
We don't move new members threads.

My post had no reference to the new members threads. As my post stated, I was referring to a 24 hour response time on GD posts.

I like to take into consideration how many posts a member has before deciding to move a thread. If they have 40+ posts, they should have a fairly good idea how to navigate the forum.

That's quite a broad assumption! See your quote* below.

There are also redirects that are still visible for a few days. The redirects are clickable and take the person to that thread no matter where it is placed.

Not on the GD forum. Those redirects are normally 'lost' within a few hours due to traffic. See your quote** below.

No, not just for our convenience. Heck, leaving things wherever they are posted would be the most convenient for US since then we wouldn't have to do as much work, but in the grand scheme of things that just doesn't really serve the purpose of ECF at all.

Truly trying not being confrontational here, but you are totally missing the point I'm trying to make. What harm is there for leaving a GD post, regardless where it winds up, there for 24 hours? Response traffic in GD may be more revealing than an automatic banishment to a lesser 'visible' forum.

In the long run it makes it easier for someone to browse to the subject that they are looking for information on when everything is in its proper place

In the long run, how many 'newer' members (as opposed to n00bs; even if they have over an arbitrary 40+ post count) will become discouraged and say 'da Hades wid dis?

What harm is there with a 24 hour exposure period?

....things drop to the back pages and people generally don't bother going back a page or three. Things tend to move quickly down the page.

**Thank you for reenforcing my point.

I am still learning all the places on ECF. I'm actually learning more about other areas just by following the redirects and checking out those other sections.

*Ooookaay...

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I'm thinking about if we only just need one giant forum for all of it. This would make things so much simpler. Or maybe just a couple of boards such as Vaping, News, Classifieds.

Will probably start a poll on this question soon. Also, what should the default number of posts per page be, as it will need to be quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread