Wow... Local B&M creates program for homeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
I just got back from a visit to my local B&M, which happens to be right across the street from where I work. Great shop with great people working there. I go over there a lot of times at lunch just to chat and vape. They have a nice tasting bar and lounge area set up so it's pretty awesome.

So anyway, I didn't get any details yet, as they're still being worked on, but anyway, while I'm over there I find out that they are setting up a program for the homeless to supply them with starter kits for vaping. Possibly with a "swap out" program for dead batteries, i.e. swap your dead ego for a fully charged one which gets charged and then put back in the "bucket" to go out to someone else.

I'm torn on this.... On one hand I can't help but feel like if you're homeless your priorities need to be on something other than smoking or vaping... But let's face it, they aren't. So the other part of me says this is a really great idea to help those less fortunate.

Anyway, just thought I'd share and see how others feel!

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
My thoughts? It is a excellent idea to give back to the community. Some homeless people may have some mental distress in their lives. It is known that nicotine may assist with certain mental afflictions. Just because they are homeless does not mean they are without distress or need. Everyone is unique. I will not judge someone based upon their economic presentation. :)

Plastic Shaman

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Albuquerque
Most homeless people suffer from mental illness, especially schizophrenia. People with extreme mental illness have an astronomical rate of smoking. This is thought to be because the nicotine helps them deal with their issues, in other words it's a form of self medicating.

While I think the cause is really noble, I would worry about the public perception and any possible violations of laws and ordinances. I know where I live, people have tried to set up free meal programs on the street and have been shut down until they get a permit for such activity. No idea how it would work where you are or with e-cigs, but I hope they research it before they implement the program.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I'd worship the ground that B&M owner walked on and go out of my way to patronize the store.

"On one hand I can't help but feel like if you're homeless your priorities need to be on something other than smoking or vaping." Can't believe you said that on a vaping forum. It's not like they are eating caviar and could just stop. Many homeless are mentally ill and smoking helps with that. About 85% of people with schizophrenia are heavy smokers and 60-70% of those that are bipolar smoke. It's a wonderful thing your vape shop is doing.

ISGRidge

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2014
Ohio
Maybe they should consider just donating a portion of their proceeds to a homeless shelter? Sounds kind of strange... could be interesting though. Hoards of homeless people vaping in the street could be great advertising for the shop. Maybe they should give them t-shirts with their logo on them too. At least their hearts are in the right place :)

Bgren99

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
MA
Not gonna work...the last thing the homeless are worried about is their health due to smoking. In theory it's a nice idea, but we live in reality not fantasy land. I've worked with the homeless, they'd much rather grab a a few snipes out of an ashtray than swap out tanks and juice. Donating money from sales is a much better approach, it's just not plausible to think the homeless would be very receptive of this...they skip out on free meals and miss shelter's curfew to scrounge up money for booze. That B&M is just gonna end up being a spot for the homeless to hang out, get free ecig supplies and sell it for booze

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I agree there heart is in the right place but lets face it, vaping is a pita compared to smoking, the only driving force behind any of us having enough patience and dedication to be persistent with trying to get vaping to work for us is simply the desire to better ourselfs and our health, but if I was homeless that would be pretty low on the priority list. not having the basic necessities of food and shelter and clean running water and etc, I don't think I'd be too worried that the cigarette may cause me harm somewhere in the distant future... it's a matter of priorities... I'd agree that it may be better served as donating a certain amount of proceeds to a charity for the homeless, again the dangers of smoking are going to be so low on most any homeless persons worry list that I can't see many getting anything from this, but it is a very noble gesture none the less

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
The way I see it, you should help anyone in a worse way than you. And, seeing as it's a vape shop, that's what they have, so that's what they give.

Maybe a discount on juice for canned food would also be a good idea?

Excellent idea! People and pet canned food.

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
Why not use cigalikes? Instead of them having to worry about dead batteries and refilling tanks, the shop could donate a percent of sales to purchase disposable no-name cigalikes for them at wholesaler cost. They're crazy cheap at wholesaler. Plus have a donation jar from customers. If my local B&M had one, I'd drop my change on every visit.

Much easier on both ends and sustainable. The homeless are issued two to three cigalikes - their choice of regular or menthol, and turn them in when dead to receive more. Swaps could be regulated to a certain time of day in order to make it easier. Maybe branch out to a few fruit flavors once the program gets rolling. They could even have a referral system with the local shelter handing out coupons to the people staying there to be able to get in this program, to weed out the freebie hunters. That ensures they only get people who actually want to quit, and helps control the flow so they don't get overwhelmed. (Can only support five people? Only print and issue five coupons.)

With disposable cigalikes, that also helps kill what everyone seems to be thinking will happen. They're really not worth a lot, and with a referral system, you know exactly who is who and who never turned in swaps, so they don't get more. Plus with swaps only at, say, 2-3 pm or whatever, they're not inconveniencing that many regular customers.

Many people don't give homeless a chance. A few bad apples made the whole bushel look bad. Why not take the time to check each one? There might be a few that surprise you.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I'm torn on this.... On one hand I can't help but feel like if you're homeless your priorities need to be on something other than smoking or vaping... But let's face it, they aren't.

What priorities are more important than staying alive, and not dying or becoming seriously ill from smoking???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread