Wrapping Coils - How to do it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaydeeEm

Oct 24, 2014
Oshkosh, WI
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am semi-new to this whole scene although I've accumlated quite a few different mods/rdas/tanks/rtas quickly.

When I purchased said RDA(Mutation X v2 - 2 of them, Kayfun Lite Plus) I was shown how to do it and wrapped my own coils at the shop using their equipment.
I went out and got my own set of screwdrivers, cotton, etc to be prepared to wrap my own coils. I have 26 and 28 gauge, 26 for Mutation, 28 for Kayfun.

This morning i tried wrapping a coil for my Kayfun and failed 7 times. My goal is to be between .3-.4 ohms. I use it on an eLeaf iStick as a side note. Now when i wrapped it at the shop I was told 7 wraps.. and I keep ending up between .8 - 1.6. NOW, when i squeeze the coil together with a needle nose the ohm reader reads .3

Should I just get a butane torch and heat that baby up and squeeze the coil together while its hot or what? And could you guys maybe give me some diameter measurements that I should be wrapping for my kayfun and mutations?

Thanks a lot and I'd appreciate helpful responses rather than the "Theres multiple threads on this" type comments.:p

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
I think you may have misheard, or got an information mix-up. For a stock Kayfun you want to shoot for something around 1.5Ohms for starters. 0.3-0.4 wont do much good there, since it lacks the airflow required for such builds.

7-9 wraps of 28gauge sound like a good starting point. I'd not worry too much about the Ohms, anything 1.2-1.8ohm will work in the Kayfun, just a matter of preference.
Also, as far i know the iStick wont fire anything below 1Ohm so building down to 0.3 wont do you any good.

I'd certainly get a torch, or my personal preference a simple outdoor lighter. Briefly torching the wire before wrapping the coil will pre-oxidize it and reduce hotspots.
After wrapping, torch again briefly and let it cool down while holding it with a pair of tweezers or small pliers.

I dont have any expierence with the MutationX, but i seem to recall it having massive airflow and more of a cloudchasers device. 26gauge would be a good starter wire, lets say 7-8 wraps, but if you build dualcoil (on a 2.5mm drillbit) that would land you at 0.5ohms (2x 1ohm coil) so it wont fire on the iStick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread