Written up for vaping at work.. California

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
my understanding is that new california laws, the ones that mean that you have to be 21 to buy vape gear and other 'tobacco products', the ones that mean we now have to be home and provide proof of age and a signature to receive vape mail, also put vaping under the clean air control act. in fact the reports say it's now even illegal to vape on the beaches in state parks. i'm pretty sure your employer is correct. ps i'm in santa cruz as well

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Lemwise

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Joure
Someone from the office complained about me vaping during work hours and I told him I don't care. As long as I continue to deliver perfection and don't miss a dead line I don't want to hear his nonsense and I will vape when I feel like it. Don't like it, fire me. The thing is that I'm a shipwright and there aren't a whole lot of really experienced shipwrights left in The Netherlands. It's also not a profession that attracts young people so they kinda have to make sure I don't leave.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'm sorry that I didn't see this thread a lot sooner...
Going to War against your employer usually just ends up with you not having that job anymore.
I am inching ever closer to retirement.
And when I am ready to retire, it is going to be epic.

War is a simple way of putting what I am going to do.
I am going to shine a HUGE light on the hypocrisy of their nicotine usage policy.

I'm talking about a Fortune 500 company with thousands of employees.
And I WILL put them between a rock and a VERY hard place.

I'm going to send an email company wide with links to the truth about nicotine.
My ultimatum will be change the policy to allow ecigs or I will walk.

They can not afford for me to walk, because I'm the only one who does what I do.
And the company will suffer greatly for at least a month if I stop doing it.
I hate to be a prikkk but what makes you think it's okay to vape inside? Most places are adopting vaping policies that mimic those of cigarettes. It's completely understandable, because we all know that despite probably being healthier than cigarettes, we have no proof that second hand is completely safe for those around us.
We have way more than enough proof that secondhand vapor is completely harmless.
And when I say completely, I mean completely.

Plus smokey air is distracting in a workplace. Just go outside, problem solved and job saved.
But the fact that you said "smokey air" tells me a lot.

You've been a member here for almost two years and have 700 posts?
Shame on you.
;)
The Fun Police are hard at work in San Diego trying to ban beach bonfires too ... :rolleyes:
They've tried before, and I guess they'll keep on trying.
Thank God we keep saving them.

Save the San Diego Fire Pits
Beach fire pits saved by private-public partnership

Not sure how much longer we can keep it up.
:(
I think the concern with surgery and nicotine needs to be questioned as well. It's my recollection the concern doctors had about smoking before surgery wasn't related to nicotine per se but to the carbon monoxide and other poisonous gases present from combusting burning leaves that would interfere with the procedure. I could be wrong but I think that was the concern.
It is being questioned by some...
Is it the Nicotine? Hsu Researching Bone Healing in Smokers

Last edited:

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I am inching ever closer to retirement.

Retirement is the best thing ever invented, you're gonna love it ! :thumbs:

They can not afford for me to walk, because I'm the only one who does what I do.

I was the only one of thousands at my final job who performed a specific task, that was very profitable for the company. That's not arrogance on my part, its literally true. Because no one else was interested in learning the techniques that I used, it was too demanding ...

When I was squeezed out due to disability unrelated to my job function, they simply reverted back to the far less efficient means that they had used before ...

HR departments hate the thought that any one person might be considered indispensable ...

But if you can use that leverage to draw attention to an irrational nicotine policy, that is a blow for justice that might benefit those left behind, and well worth the effort ...

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
The Fun Police are hard at work in San Diego trying to ban beach bonfires too ... :rolleyes:

Restrictions are already in place, but the days of toasting marshmallows are probably numbered ... :(

That would be so sad. I haven't lived in Southern California for 14 years now, but I grew up there and spent most of my life there. Cooking hotdogs and marshmallows with friends and family, around a fire pit, at the beach are among my happiest memories.

OcalaFlGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2015
Ocala, Fl
Those who have convinced Themselves that they are Absolutely Irreplaceable where they work, almost without exception, are That Much More shocked when the rude awakening hammer that they Aren't, drops out of the clouds onto them.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-Who worked in HR on 7 different Reductions in Force until he came up snake eyes himself

Reactions: MrStik

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
That would be so sad. I haven't lived in Southern California for 14 years now, but I grew up there and spent most of my life there. Cooking hotdogs and marshmallows with friends and family, around a fire pit, at the beach are among my happiest memories.
mmm hotdogs.

At what point did we turn from social pariahs smoking outside to equating vaping to cigarette smoke, which are clearly 2 very different things?

I vape where i please and allow people to sue me for having such a casual attitude. i vape at work, in my car, in my garage etc. I'm considerate of people that don't smoke or vape, but if smoking tobacco is not illegal, then nor is vaping.

T

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Those who have convinced Themselves that they are Absolutely Irreplaceable where they work, almost without exception, are That Much More shocked when the rude awakening hammer that they Aren't, drops out of the clouds onto them.
I haven't fooled myself into thinking I'm irreplaceable.
But they are going to need me to train a replacement on how everything works.

That is kind of standard and kind of expected for someone in my position.
Without that, they will be in a world of hurt for at least a month.

I don't think they'll change their policy over it either.
But I'll sure make it interesting.
:)

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I know Ca is bad, I live here, but where is he gonna go that's any better?

I got out of Kalifornia in 2005 and I can tell you that Florida is a great deal better. I lived in Kalifornia for 23 years and at the end could not find a truck to rent because they had all left the state already but I managed finally to get out of there. So very glad I did. That state is a train-wreck and they find endless excuses to pick your pockets and rob you blind. I will never set foot there again.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
But they are going to need me to train a replacement on how everything works.

... during which time you can vape until rain starts to fall from the ceiling ... :vapor:

What are they gonna do, fire you ? :laugh:

Maybe, when they don't all fall over dead, they'll get the message that vapor is harmless ... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread